1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How good are your senses? Plus, over stimulation.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Canterpiece, Nov 25, 2015.

1. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey. :smilewave

So, I was thinking about people's senses before and I thought I'd make a thread about it.

How good are your senses? (Main five senses I'm talking about here; Hearing, smell, sight, touch and taste).

Personally for me, my senses are pretty good- annoyingly so at times. My hearing is my best sense and I'd say that my sense of smell is my worst sense.

Over stimulation- I tend to get over stimulated by outward stimulus a lot. It can cause me anxiety at times, and I hate it because I know it's unreasonable to react in such a way- yet something in my mind just gets freaked out easily. My sister always has a go at me for it, telling me that if I go to University one day I'll never survive if I act the way I do now, and I know deep down she's right. It's just, she tells me that I should expose myself to heavier stimulus so I get used to it but... I just have to take this stuff slowly otherwise I can break-down.

The main things that set me off are certain smells and certain sounds. Although my sense of smell is probably my worst sense, there are certain smells I can't stand, in particular cucumber. Ugh. I've had people tell me that it doesn't have a smell, but it certainly does to me. I thought that most people could smell cucumber, I mean they put it in loads of perfumes and stuff so I just presumed. It smells similar to aloe vera, except aloe vera is a lot more tolerable for me. Whenever I smell cucumber or vinegar it makes me feel sick.

Then there's my hearing. Chewing sounds (especially bubble/chewing-gum) can be really annoying, but I know it can't be helped so I put up with it. Whistling can be another annoying thing as well, particularly certain high pitched whistling. Sometimes cutlery bothers me too. Noise in restaurants can get to me, especially screaming children. My parents want me to try taking music with me to try and help me stay calm, but usually at some point I have to go to the toilets and shut the world out. I like to cover my ears and close my eyes, it's like being underwater. Then with my eyes closed and my ears covered, I like to image certain familiar smells and feelings (like the edge of an old table, barbaque food ect.) and familiar sounds (usually a helicopter for some reason, I like to imagine one that's preparing to land) then I open my eyes and let go of my ears and it's like coming back to the surface after swimming underwater. I usually feel a lot calmer after this, and it seems like less of a big deal. Usually anyway, not always.

I find most people tend to shout when they talk, but that's only because I'm quiet in comparison. I'm usually either being too quiet or too loud, not usually "just right" as it were. What can I say? Sometimes I struggle with volume control I guess. :confused:

Taste- this particularly gets me in restaurants, as I order food I like but if it's particularly crowded I can't really concentrate on the food and it feels like I'm eating other people's food, which is really weird. I don't like mixed fruit, it's just a strewn together mixture in which one flavour usually overpowers the others in the mix. However some mixes can work quite well, as long as they're a similar type of fruit. I find with sweet things like chocolate, it can have a short sting when you first bite into it before it goes sweet. This doesn't happen very often to me though.

Touch- I'm not a big fan of crowds, but most people aren't. I see myself as a very sensual person, and when I was younger I liked to go clothes and material shopping just to touch the different materials and textures. I still do if I'm honest, even though the rest of it is usually boring.

What about you?

2. ThatBorussenGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Sight: There's a reason I wear glasses; my eyes have sucked since I was a child. I can do regular stuff without them, but trying to read, write, or use a computer without them... nope. Very sensitive to light, so I can't go outside without a pair of sunglasses on if the sun is out or I'll end up with a headache.

Hearing: Pretty good. Can't stand high-pitched noises or just certain kinds of noise (the Emergency Alert System tone on US TV and radio has, in particular, always been unpleasant) and any freaking sound has the capability to throw off my train of thought if I'm thinking about something so generally I've always got music going.

Not sure what to say about the other three. [​IMG]

3. WhereWeWere

WhereWeWere Guest

All of my senses are pretty good, especially sight. I've always had perfect vision my entire life, never required glasses, contacts, etc. It's great.

4. AgenderMoose

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My senses are okay. My sight's garbage, though. My sense of taste and hearing are a bit above par, though. I'm extremely sensitive to spices (I cannot stand anything that is even slightly spicy because of it), and I will often hear high pitched noises that no one else does. Both are annoying, but I guess it does show that my senses there are a bit higher than average?

5. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Sight very good, hearing also good (although god knows I indulge in a tad bit too much heavy metal). Touch can be good, taste is okay, I guess. Smell sucks

6. Justinian20

My hearing is the worst, I have a moderate severe hearing loss in both ears and without hearing aids I would just hear talking as noise.

My best sense is probably sight, or touch. I can see very small text on a screen and I can also easily see a person walking from a fair distance away. I can't really describe touch, but smell is not good either. I feel like I don't really smell things, taste though, that is amazing, I can taste so much in food, herbs and all, I tend to really taste the sourness of all citrus fruits, in fact I believe my taste buds are quite strong because everyone in my family don't taste sour food Like I do.

7. AKindOfMagic

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My sight is not as bad as my mom's, but it keeps slowly getting worse. My glasses broke yesterday, so I'm wearing my old ones for now, and I'm surprised by how worse my eyesight has become over the last year.
    I think I almost good hearing. Not as good as most, but nothing bad.
    For the other senses, I'm OK.

8. Distant Echo

@canterpiece - I find your description of your reaction to certain stimuli interesting. It seems very similar to the sensory overload that can come with autism. You can desensitise with practise and the music is a great idea.
    Where food is concerned, certain foods are probably a big problem, and my son finds that if he's unsure of a strange taste adding sweet chilli sauce helps - ie adding a familiar taste.

As for touch, you can get great sensory toys for babies, as strange as this might sound, having something similar in your pocket when you are getting overloaded can help. Use that in a similar way to music to distract you?

9. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In terms of the autism- as far as I know I don't have it, I've never been tested for it though and I don't want to self diagnose myself with anything here. Sure, I've heard plenty of theories on why I act the way I do, but I don't want to jump to any conclusions and claim to have something I don't. However, I know you were just using this as a comparison. You know, may be I should stop talking. :lol:

Yeah, I've thought about the music idea, and I think I might get some music to take with me if it's a particularly busy time.

In terms of food, I think I'll pass on the chilli sauce idea. Personally I hate the stuff, but my sister's the opposite. She'll put chilli sauce on anything. :lol:
    However, I get what you mean about adding something familiar. And I guess I could take this into consideration.

In terms of touch- yes, that does sound weird. I prefer to stick to string personally, there's just something calming about it I don't know why. :confused: Man, it sounds odd just writing that. But if crowds and such start getting to me, I like to have some string (long grass works too) I can fiddle about with or scrunched up paper, but paper is usually quite harsh so I prefer string. That and running my finger around a glass or swirling a straw in circles. That's if I have a glass of course, after all I don't go carrying them around with me. :lol:

I don't think I'll start carrying baby toys though. Man, I must sound so strange in this thread, maybe I really am crazy. :dry:

#9 Canterpiece, Nov 26, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2015
  10. Distant Echo

Lol I didn't mean an actual baby toy, but something along those lines, different textures to distract you. The string is a good idea :slight_smile: or perhaps a crocheted or knitted square?
    These work with my son when he goes into overload so with similar situations for you, I figured the ideas might help.
    If he's particularly stressed, he sits and writes in his notebook - another distraction that calms him.

11. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh,ok. :grin:

Never thought about the square idea before, I might try that.

12. Cornered

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hmm, well, my hearing is better - but it's actually worse sometimes because the wax in my ears forms really fast so XP

My sight is almost alright, I can see but I have a somewhat lazy eye, so I wear glasses. Can see where I'm going without them though

I dislike people brushing against or touching me when I don't want them to, it doesn't feel right

I. Cannot. Eat. Even. Mild. Curry. Without. Water.
    It's too spicy.

Um, as for smell, it's normalish I guess. Though one time I was in a car with a little girl and she threw up but I couldn't really smell anything - shows you how much disgust of vomit is actually from the smell and not the sight - I didn't mind as long as none of the bits got on me - bleh germs

---------- Post added 26th Nov 2015 at 05:30 PM ----------

Oh, and my anxiety levels peak when someone reaches a certain degree of loudness. I can't stand arguments, and there's this one girl who shouts excessively when arguing with others, and she brings me very, very, very, very close to the danger line. Can't remember crossing it before though

If I can't take it anymore, I would probably snap and scream at them, and I'd probably turn violent after that if they can't shut the fudge up

---------- Post added 26th Nov 2015 at 05:34 PM ----------

But usually I just run away from loud places or don't go to them at all XP

#12 Cornered, Nov 26, 2015
  13. Yosia

My sight is decent, nothing to be worried about but nothing which is too good. Although I am slightly colourblind so -10 points there.

Hearing is very good. Again, nothing to be massively proud of, but it is better than a lot of people's. I can hear higher frequencies than a lot of people I know, but overexposure can give me a headache.

Touch, normal I guess?

My smell is pretty good, but is again, nothing overly special.

Taste is not very good as a sensory thing for me.

14. DinelodiiGitli

My sight is pretty good. Was told on more than one occasion that I have 'pilot eyes'.
    However my color vision isn't the best.

My hearing is good. I can here more higher frequencies than average but not as many lower ones.

My sense of touch is okay. I have a pretty high pain threshold for whatever reason.

Sense of taste is very sensitive. Being vegan has sort of heightened it, same goes for my sense of smell.

#14 DinelodiiGitli, Nov 26, 2015
  15. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Smell-Very sensitive. Oddly, when I get a sinus cold, I get very depressed, because it interferes with this, and along with it, my sex drive disappears.

Taste-Also very sensitive. I used to work as a sommelier/wine-buyer for a group of restaurants, so smell and taste served me well in that capacity!

Hearing-Also quite sensitive, and I'm prone to being easily startled, or at least hyper-aware of my surroundings.

Touch-Again, very sensitive. Not much of a tolerance for pain, and also, very ticklish. I do liked to be hugged very hard, as this seems calming, and I like tight-fitting clothes, and have a fetish for wetsuits and latex suits, in part because it feels like your whole body is being gripped and hugged. It's both calming to me, and also stimulating; hard to explain.

Sight-Decent, though I have 20/400 vision in one eye, due to a corneal condition...but all in all pretty sensitive, and especially light sensitive. Not a fan of really bright lights.

@Canterpiece: Very interesting post! Was happy to see it, as it's something I've also struggled with: Sensory overload.

I'm on the border of having certain Sensory Processing Disorder issues, and have been to therapy for these. It's not exactly like Autism, but in ways, similar. It's as if my senses were like a volume knob that's turned up really high, so that all of the 'inputs' coming in can tend to feel exaggerated, and stronger, if that makes sense. Can make it hard to concentrate, sometimes. Try looking up Sensory Processing Disorder, and see what you find; it's not an 'official' diagnosis in the DSM that I know of, but I do think that such a thing exists, and that some people process incoming stimuli much differently than others.

#15 HuskyPup, Nov 26, 2015
  16. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Interesting, I've heard of SPD before, but I don't think I've ever met someone who has it that I know of. You mention therapy, just out of interest- do you have a white noise machine? I hear some people who struggle with this kind of thing sometimes do. I hope the therapy sessions have been going well for you so far. :slight_smile:

#16 Canterpiece, Nov 26, 2015
  17. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hearing: Very good. I can hear plenty of sounds. My dad has an acute sense of great hearing. I take after him. However, my ears have a tendency to get plugged up due to sinuses, so it could be even better.

Sight: It has always been issue. I have a wandering left eye after a surgery to correct me being cross-eyed at the age of 4. I have depth perception problems because I am near-sighted in my left eye and far-sighted in my right. I am also colorblind in regards to multiple shades. My brain doesn't categorize colors properly.

Smell-It is decent but not anything special.

Taste-I have weaker taste buds than others I would say. It's acceptable though.

Touch-Not sure how to measure this, but I think I am below average. I can't sense pain in my own body that well. I also don't like the feel of chalk or styrofoam.

6th sense-I have a good sense of intuition regarding certain events of doom. Not psychic, but I do have interesting thoughts.

18. Jellal

All my senses are pretty weak and easily overly stimulated. I am a physical wreck.

19. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sight:

I have slightly less-than-perfect vision. Not bad enough to need to wear glasses all the time, but not good enough to be perfect.

As for what catches my eye... I notice descriptions, colours, little details on things to the point at sometimes it becomes overwhelming. For example, bright colours or lights stress me out and even may cause a headache. Other times I will be hardly cognisant of the environment at all, due to being so mentally focused on one thing.

Hearing:

I have average ears, I suppose. If sounds (people talking, annoying noises usually cause by people, or other grating sounds) occur which bother me, I will use music as a therapeutic measure.

Smell:

Smell is very important/significant to me, and my sense is probably average-to-sensitive in that area. The smell of buildings, my hands, various items or articles of clothing, dishes... Such things I tend to notice or become distracted by.

Touch:

One of my most utilized senses. When I was a kid, I used to go into shopping malls and run my hands along all the clothes as we passed too see what they felt like. I also removed tags from my clothing, and even wore things inside out because it was more comfortable to do so. I still find it interesting to focus on the physical feeling of something, and I've always loved soft/malleable items like blankets or certain stuffed dolls. When I was a child, also, I had an intense attachment to a stuffed bunny for its softness, squishiness, and smell.

But with people, I do not like to be touched. Ever. For any reason.This includes hugs, handshakes, pats of affirmation, even slight brushes.

Taste:

Not a terrible issue. Most foods I quite like the taste of - though texture is different. For instance I find yoghurt to have a disgusting texture.

20. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Two out of five seem good.

My sense of smell has never been great. I can smell medium-strong odours, like spices, perfume, petrol, paint, but faint odours usually pass me by. I am short-sighted, but my prescription has been stable for a number of years. My hearing is getting worse though and that does depress me quite a bit.