1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are you out at your workplace (Or school)?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Ruby Dragon, Nov 26, 2015.

?

Are you out at work/school?

1. Yes - I don't hide it for anybody

58 vote(s)
    40.3%
  2. I'm out everywhere EXCEPT work/school

9 vote(s)
    6.3%
  3. I'm not out at all

29 vote(s)
    20.1%
  4. I'm still figuring things out, so no

10 vote(s)
    6.9%
  5. Other (Please comment)

40 vote(s)
    27.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As the title states, are you out at your workplace/school?

I'm not, and doubt I will ever have the guts or feel safe to come out at work. Everybody just assumes I'm straight. It's not accurate but I'm happy, as long as they're happy.

My new boss is extremely homophobic. On three or four different occasions, he's spewed pure acid about homosexuals and everything that goes with it. It feels like he's driving a dagger through my heart with every single homophobic remark he makes, and I don't have the guts to take him on (And don't want to ruin our work relationship).

The rest of my colleagues don't seem to have a problem with any LGBT person. As long as they don't make a move on them, that is...:rolle:

I'm out to my mother and to my friends and everyone else (Family included) that I have on Facebook. I don't hide my sexuality but I don't go around waving rainbow flags in their faces (LOL, that would be funny as hell).

So, are you out at work/school?

2. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't flaunt it, and im not sure how obvious I am. I'm out on facebook and I'll add some friends from school, but I don't even know if they have looked or not lol. It tends to not be relevant to my life right now for the most part... Why should my professors or advisors know?

3. Oddsocks

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am about my orientation, albiet not actively (I never came out to anyone). My girlfriend works at the same store as me, and told a couple of her work friends. It turns out word spreads very, very fast! So folks know we're together, and nobody's been weird about it - quite to the contrary. So that's nice!

How everyone knew so quickly, though, even we can't figure out.

I've not been out about my gender variance since college, though. I'm less confident that people would be chill about it, and given that it's not disadvantaging me to not be out at work, I figure I'll keep it that way.

4. Phalange

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    At my last school, where I've gone until now (I'm currently between schools), I was completely out. The town the school was in didn't have much queer representation. We were always talked about in the abstract. So, I sort of took it on me to spread the homosexual agenda myself. Shoving it in everyone's faces, you know, that sort of thing. I also had my little rainbow squad with two bisexual friends. Fun times.

I never really experienced much homophobia. The blatant homophobia was always directed at gay men. Not to say that homophobia didn't affect me in any way, but it wasn't my main worry. What I experienced, for the most part, was heteronormativity and another form of sexism.

Now I'm starting a new school and I'll just have to come out again. Maybe even find some new queer friends. I won't stay in the closet though, that's for sure. The closet doesn't fit me inside of it anymore. I'm just going to let my angry lesbian self be free.

5. AKTodd

I'm out to everyone on my team/in my department, including my manager and our director (who used to be my manager). I routinely talk about my husband and, when we got married last year, received congratulations from multiple people and my boss had an Edible Arrangements bouquet delivered to our house. My husband has attended our department holiday party and met pretty much all of my local teammates (members of my department are spread across multiple locations in multiple states). He's also covered on my insurance.

I've also occasionally mentioned or indicated my orientation in conversations with people in the rest of the building I work in (there are over 300 employees in the one building), but I don't really have much contact with the majority so they presumably don't know. I know there are at least a couple of other LGBT people in the building via the Human Rights Campaign bumper stickers I see in the parking lot.

Todd

6. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    In terms of sexuality and gender, no and no. Though I don't actively hide my sexuality at school, I'm not exactly out either. Other people having suspicions about me doesn't exactly count as me being out I suppose. Gender is far more lowkey and I doubt anybody has any clue whatsoever about that, and the fact I'm still figuring it out means I'm nowhere near coming out in that respect.

7. Mitchell

I don't hide it, but I don't go flaunting it at the same time...

If someone asks me if I have a girlfriend or something I tell them I'm into guys.

8. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yep, I'm out at work. I have been to all my coworkers and my closest clients for a long time. And now with the marriage and hyphenating the last name, I'm pretty much out to all the clients. Because of the new business cards, window etching etc. it's pretty much come up with everyone.

9. LogicNoSense

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm out to anyone who asks (which means pretty much the entire stream.) Funny thing is that I wasn't trying to come out-there was a rumour about me being les a year before I actually 'knew' I was bi, so I just said I was bi, not les, and the reactions were hilarious. We have a ton of les and bis in my school (and all girl's school) so it's pretty common, and there are rarely anybody who's extremely homophobic. There was a couple, but they (had to) grow outta it...so as long no one makes a move on them they're fine.

10. TraceElement

I'm out to my coworkers, but not to higher management.

11. wolf of fire

At my college anyone who asks knows; that's a few now.
    The funny thing is no one at home knows (at least to my knowledge)

12. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When I was working, I was only out to my bosses. I tried to fly under the radar with my coworkers, and they only know about me being queer if they follow me on tumblr or facebook.

13. guitar

I went with yes. I'm out to most of my office staff I work with but I doubt most of the front line staff knows. But I don't interact with most of them very much. If they know, that's fine.

14. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am out pretty much everywhere. There are some who do not know, but that is just because it's never really come up before.

15. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Seeing as I work at my Uni's LGBTQ Resource Center and that my boyfriend also works there, it was pretty simple for me to be out there, although I was already completely out before I came to Uni. I'm planning on getting another paying job next semester, and I will more than likely be out there as well.

16. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't make a point of telling people, but if we get into a discussion and something warrants me to mention it then I have no reason not to. It's certainly not a secret.

#16 imnotreallysure, Nov 26, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2015
  17. Zalias

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Most if not all of my coworkers are aware of my, well... let's just say "chronic fabulousness". Funny story how it came out, actually.

I began working at a local fast-food joint back in May. Soon thereafter, I befriended one of my female coworkers. We'll call her Faith. Me and Faith became very close, so much so there was a misconception that we were dating. I eventually came out to her in fear that she might think I was interested in her in that way.

So Faith knew I was gay, but no one else did. One day, I was on fries, and Faith surprised me by showing up off the clock. I was happy to see her, as was apparent by my hollering of "Faith!" and running around the counter to give her a hug. Faith left, and so I went back to fries. After things had settled, one of my coworkers asked me, "Zalias, would you go out with Faith?". I turned around with the most serious face ever, and said "You don't know, do you?". One of my other coworkers answered before I could make the reveal, "Zalias is gay".

So yeah... everyone at work knows. A few of my 'classmates' (I go to an online school) know as well, mainly because they asked me out. Only my younger and older sisters, my dad who doesn't even live in the state, and aunt knows.

18. Plattyrex

I'm out to a few friends, but I think they told like 10 other people.

19. timo

My company is a massive collection of gay people, so there's no reason to not be out myself.

20. AgenderMoose

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm partially out at school. I'm only out to the people I can trust, and even then it's not usually my gender that I'm out about, it's just my sexuality. I'm slowly getting more open, though.