1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dealing with Crushes on People Already in a Relationship?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Zalias, Nov 26, 2015.

1. Zalias

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm pretty good about not crushing on straight guys. Perhaps it's because I subconsciously know that there is a 0.1% possibility of a relationship happening. There are, of course, those few hetro hotties that grab my attention. Still, those 'crushes' aren't romantic in nature. I cannot say the same for gay guys in relationships. Over the summer, I have gradually developed a crush for one of my coworkers. Funny thing is, I don't know him outside of work. I literally only see him twice a week. It wasn't until August that I actually realized I have feelings for him. He's in a long-term relationship with another person, who happens to also be my coworker. They've been together for years, and his boyfriend is a pretty good guy, which sucks because that means I cannot, in good conscience, hope that they separate. There is the distinct possibility that they are going to get married in the future.

Anywho, I'm gradually getting over my crush. Last week, I realized that things were getting a little too serious. :eusa_doh: I was becoming too committed to the idea of being in a relationship with him. So, I unsubscribed from him on social media (we're still friends on Facebook, I just won't see his posts unless I go to his wall) and I disabled messenger for messages from him. I'm not going to be avoiding him perse, but I'm most certainly trying to distance myself. I hope one day we'll be able to be friends, but at the moment it's good that I just stay away.

That brings us to this thread: I'm not seeking advice as much as I am interested to hear if anyone else ever had a huge crush on someone in a relationship? How did you deal with it? Do you still have a crush on them? Are you still friends? It'll be interesting to see what everyone has to say! :slight_smile:

2. AgenderMoose

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've fallen into that trap several times. Honestly, it hurt. For me, I would basically listen to the person who I had a crush on talk about hanging out with their significant other or whatever, and I would smile and go along with it, but I had a weight on my chest. There was one time it was so bad that I went into another room and called my best friend for help. I thought it was kind of petty that I let myself be hurt by something I couldn't control, but that's what happened. Honestly, my coping method was stewing in my own pain until it went away.

Yea, I'm still friends with them. I never told them, and I got over my crushes after a while, as expected.

3. AlexanderDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    yep. more often than I'd like. frickin sucks.

4. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The important thing to remember is that life is too short to be wasting feeling on people who are not interested. You have to forget about people who are not interest and concentrate of those who are or finding those that are.

5. aussielefty

I have a bit of a crush on my best friend, but he's straight and with a wonderful new gf
    so would never want to mess that up..
    its difficult cause I'd like to tell him but I know I shouldn't..
    still don't know how to deal with this.. :bang: