1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay Marriage vs Gay "Marriage"

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by SubZero, Nov 27, 2015.

1. SubZero

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Do people who quote the word "marriage" after gay marriage bother you? There was a debate in one of my classes earlier this week and we discussed gay marriage and LGBT rights. The opponent kept making air quotes when saying the word marriage, as if it's not real (that's what his claim was). I swear, I wanted to get up there and tie his hands down because it was so annoying.

Picture him talking and making air quotes every 2 seconds like this: "Gay "marriage" is not really marriage. Marriage is between a man and woman and you can't "marry" 2 men or 2 women. Just because the law now allows gay "marriage" doesn't mean it's real "marriage". Gay "marriage" is a mockery of traditional marriage and this so-called "marriage" is will cause human extinction...." and blah blah blah...

Anyway...a lot of people put quotes around it because they don't want to admit that it's in fact real. I know I shouldn't care, but it's just annoying. Maybe over time, people will just refer all marriages as marriage. Opinions?

2. Open Arms

Open Arms Guest

I totally agree with you SubZero. That's a huge insult to gay couples who commit to each other in marriage. There's no way it should be put into quotations.

3. Steve FS

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I honestly hate air quotes in general, but this just adds to the irritation.

4. DinelodiiGitli

I agree, it is annoying.

Whenever people do something like that I usually point out that they did not invent the concept of marriage, other cultures had performed marriage and handfasting ceremonies for same sex couples long before the Christian concept came along. It shouldn't be put in quotations.

5. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is what they sound like:

"Straight "marriage" must be outlawed, since the straight "married" couple are capable of reproduction, they will abuse this to create far more life than this planet can support. If we let straight "marriage" continue to taint our world, the Earth's crust will be completely covered in a thin layer of human babies. Zeus will smite the straight "married" couple by striking every tall structure on the planet not covered by said thin layer of babies, because Zeus loves babies so we should love him, and in the least heterosexual way possible."

Except even dumber than that. I'm serious.
    Aren't you glad we don't sound like that. :lol:

6. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Before people said "Marriage is between a man and a woman" they said "Marriage is between two people of the same race." Either all their artificial criteria are valid or none of them are.

7. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I say make a game of it and try and tie them up in knots

Ask him if America is a theocracy
    When he says no, ask why marriage laws should be written according to the tenants of a particular branch of conservative religion.
    If he says "because religious freedom", ask about the religious freedom of those religious groups who do recognise same sex marriage and how his freedom is being restricted.
    If he says yes to the theocracy question then mock him relentlessly.

While you're there, query as to who made him the last word on what is and isn't a marriage.

8. ThatBorussenGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It is rather off-putting, yes. It's perfectly valid marriage whether or not the bigots want to consider it as such, and using air quotes to imply that it somehow isn't "real marriage" is absolute bull.

#8 ThatBorussenGuy, Nov 27, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2015
  9. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think he's confused. The Supreme Court did not legalize Gay Marriage (or even Gay "Marriage"). They legalized marriage between same-sex individuals. They were pretty specific about this...it's not a "separate but equal" thing. It's just marriage. So if he believes that it has cheapened "traditional" marriage (now *there* is a good use of air-quotes to throw at him! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:), then he should be referring to *all* marriages as "marriages"...because there is only one institution of marriage.

Fuck him.

10. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Anyone who uses air quotes around the term marriage as in gay "marriage" makes me just as mad as people who use air quotes or quotations around trans+ people's names and their pronouns. Putting quotes is directly disrespecting trans+ people's humanities, and the same can be said about gay and lesbian couples in this scenario. They're essentially saying that you are inherently less of a person if you're LGBTQ.

11. mangotree

12. Cedar

I wonder why no one mentioned all these shows coming out about strangers getting married or getting their marriage set up by their parents. Where is your "sanctity of marriage" when people treat it like a joke or something you can just do for fun?

13. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Because they really just want to say "gay people are icky". That's what they really think but they know they can't get away with saying that.

14. Lipstick Leuger

Sounds like insecure straight dude with his "air quotes" needs to realize his agreement and support is not needed for two people to get married. Any two people in love. So, he can continue to "air quote" and just point out how much of an ass he is. I hope he does his research about "traditional" marriage. He needs to start with the part where a man pays a Bride Price to the Father of the Bride, usually Cows, or Horses or land to "buy" a straight girl.......

15. alli o

alli o Guest

this should bother you and it has every right to. if a straight couple is real marriage and ours isn't then they are taking away our freedoms and that is not allowed so tell that guy off ( well be careful and safe )

16. zachary8709

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    It also annoys me when people act like Gay Marriage doesn't exist. When people do that, I just want to punch them in the face with brass knuckles. I wish people would realize that Gay Marriage is real and that just because they think it's wrong, it's still right.

17. AlamoCity

Well... those people who say that (at least in the United States) are probably "Christian."

18. Steve FS

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Oh my gosh. Thank you for that. I really needed a good laugh.

19. AgenderMoose

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh boy. Stuff like this makes me just...quake with anger. Makes me grit my teeth and get ready to punch an idiot in the face. Don't use those air quotes with me, boy, I'll run you straight into the ground. Yea, I said straight. Like your little straight "marriage" bull. I'll fight you.

20. candyjiru

I just imagining someone doing a handbrake turn into a parking space and then glitter exploding everywhere XD;;;;

As for the topic, I *love* air quotes... I'm sorry, all the air quotes people in this thread~~ but, using it here is really disrespectful and ridiculous.

Now, if they were talking about Britney's 55-hour marriage... air quotes would be much more appropriate~