1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My sister's a homophobe

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by zachary8709, Nov 27, 2015.

1. zachary8709

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    So I came out to my best friend at the age of 13, but waited to tell my parents till I was 15. I want to tell my sister, but recently I overheard her on the phone and she said,"Gays don't deserve to marry, much less live". I promised myself that I would come out to her before Christmas. Any ideas on how to come out to her without actually "coming out" to her?

2. candyjiru

That sounds rough.... honestly, my sister is the same way. She went off on many a rant about how gay people didn't deserve equal rights and how they all had mental disabilities that needed professional help. >.< Of course, she's also a racist, so, I don't really talk to her about much of anything XD;;;

Are the two of you close? How old is she? Maybe she will soften her views in time? I usually bring up my gay friends or a news article around my family or other people to see how they will react when I'm thinking about coming out to them, and going from there. I would take it slow and not rush things, personally... there aren't set dates where you have to come out to someone, and if you think they will make your life uncomfortable or even try to hurt you in some way, physically or emotionally, it's probably better to leave them alone. I hope it works out and that one day you can come out to her, but remember to keep your safety and your heart above the need for other people to know the intimate details of your life <3

3. AgenderMoose

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    A humorous yet possibly subtle way of doing it is if she's freaking out over a guy celeb that she finds cute just voice your agreement or disagreement. Other than that, I've got nothing. Best thing to do is probably to sit down and talk to her about it civilly. Hopefully she won't be a butt about it. And if she is, well...eghhhhhhhhhhhhh I don't know... Sorry

4. iiimee

Aw, that sucks! :frowning2: My sister is probably one of the most accepting people you can meet, though I get annoyed by her sometimes radical feminist views...

Sometimes it is impossible to come out without that person losing respect for you. If you think her respect is worth it, maybe you shouldn't come out. If you'd rather be honest than to lie to her, regardless of the outcome however, you should probably just sit her down and explain things to her. Now, I can't promise she'll speak kindly to you, even if you're her brother- maybe she'll throw a fit, or maybe she'll just say "you're confused" or "you need professional help". These are all sadly normal reactions for homophobes across the US to give. Still, I'd like for you to seriously consider what you'd like to do before saying "yes" or "no" to the idea of coming out to her. It's always good to consider questions like this before you make up your mind-
    Could you live with keeping this a secret from her?
    Could you live with her not respecting you or, in the worst case scenario, not speaking to you?
    Will this effect your relationship with anyone else besides your sister?
    Is it even possible to keep this a secret from her? (Do you think you'll have a partner of the same sex/gender in your lifetime?)

These are just a few questions I've come up with for you to consider... good luck!