1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do You Allow Yourself to Cry/Be "Weak"? (Masculinity discussion)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by WhereWeWere, Nov 28, 2015.

1. WhereWeWere

WhereWeWere Guest

I've been thinking about this a lot, and after many years, I've finally noticed something. I've always been trying to preserve my title of masculinity, even though I never had it's weight set upon my shoulders. This is way before I knew I was transgender.

Whenever sad situations came up, I would tear up, then tell myself to "toughen up" and blink them away. That has never changed. The only time I can recall allowing myself to cry was when a pet or relative passed away. In recent years, I only cry when I have massive panic attacks. When it comes to injuries, I only cried when I was impaled by a bunch of nails and when my eye was sliced open (but those are different stories). Otherwise, any other injury or stressful event, I cannot recall anything more than having watery eyes at most. One clear thing I can remember is not wanting to look weak in front of others.

In a recent event, I was bringing up Christmas decorations. I was carrying very heavy boxes, two at a time as well, not asking for any help. I knew I could potentially hurt myself, but I didn't want to seem weak in front of my family. I was pretty stubborn. It wasn't until I was done bringing all of the decorations up from the basement when I asked myself:

Why did I feel the need to do this all by myself again?

Which all leads down to this: Why? Why is masculinity so fragile? Why is there always a need to preserve your title/prove yourself? Is it a subconscious thing wired into the brain of men, or is it something society shoves down our throats? Do you think if gender roles weren't as common, the need for males to feel "tough" wouldn't be as high?

And most importantly, do you constantly feel the need to be strong/preserve a title as a man, woman, or non-binary person?

I think this would make for interesting discussion.

2. guitar

Since coming out, I really don't care how I come across, but I used to put a really strong "masculine" front. While I still try and tough it out, I'm not afraid to cry when the mood strikes me. The Fault in Our Stars destroyed me and I wept like a baby (granted I was dealing with a friend's suicide at the time and the movie hit me twice as hard), but if I'm legitimately very sad, I don't have any qualms about showing it.

3. Steve FS

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I really don't care about masculinity, but I do care if someone finds me weak or incapable. I am perfectly capable of doing things myself, and I don't need someone to think I'm cute or weak. It's just very insulting to me. I have a friend that treats me like I don't know how to take care of myself. It's annoying!

Before I came out, I did have this negative knee-jerk reaction when someone called me a girl because I couldn't do something right, but nowadays I don't really care. I think it's immature when guys refuse to show their feminine side or their emotions.

It takes strength to show weakness and vulnerability.

#3 Steve FS, Nov 28, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
  4. Mental

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I rarely ever cry, though I don't think it has anything to do with masculinity. When I was younger I cried almost everytime I got hurt, but now I don't. I don't think I've cryed about any human's death, though I have cried watching my cat die, same with one of my fish. The only time I've cried in this year, was when I accidently let go of my emotins and hatred while alone and lost my s**t while thinking about why I hate different people.

5. AlamoCity

Well, in the situation of the OP, at first it could have been more a thing of "appearing" older (at the time) and being seen as more mature and strong for their age. Many kids want to seem "mature" and crying is seen as a sign of immaturity in younger children (sometimes).

As for the fragility of masculinity, I think there is a lot of truth to it. Plus, it's harder for men to get as "emotional" as women. Testosterone and social factors come into play, I think.

The last time I cried was last year when my grandma died. It was hard carrying her dead body wrapped in sheets from her bed to the gurney from the funeral home (after the doctor certified her death).

For many men/males, navigating masculinity is a difficult endeavor. It's complicated when one doesn't fit the particular mold their particular society has for what is considered the proper behavior of a man. It is especially difficult for transmen because they were raised and socialized as females and at a certain point that doesn't fit their gender identity and must navigate moving away from what society expects of women and into what it expects of men (because, many traits can be considered "acquired"). Plus, many will go into "overcompensation" mode until they get their groove; guides for transmen will try to "teach" transmen how to be a "man," until people realize that everyone marches to their own tune and a man isn't one who simply "spreads his legs on a seat instead of crossing his legs." That is why I've heard that transmen go through a second puberty when they transition (the first one when they reach sexual maturity and the second one when they transition to their correct gender and "awkwardly" navigate entering manhood).

6. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I've kinda given up on the not-crying thing. I cry really easily, always have, and even though I hate it, I guess I've gotten used to it. But the other things, the trying to be strong, physically and emotionally, definitely I do. I've always gotten really offended when people implied that I couldn't lift something or were worried about me hurting myself. I will always laugh off pain. The emotional pain is easy, I'm pretty cold-hearted.

In terms of 'preserving masculinity' and that. I definitely think it's a social construct. The same way girls are taught to be pretty, men are taught to be strong. It's just as damaging too. Being trans, I kinda feel both sides. Like I said I've always tried to be strong, but I also always want to be cute. It's one of the things I worry about the most in regards to transitioning.

7. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Of course I allow myself to cry. I think of it as purging weakness. I used to hold back on expressing my emotions and I ended up feeling worse. It was like being in some void and not really existing.

I think toughness is a useful trait in almost everyone, no matter what their gender is. If you push yourself too hard, it can be counterproductive. Moderation is the key. Maybe it would help to imagine what you'd say to a friend that was behaving the same way as you did. I doubt you'd just tell your friend to "toughen up"!

8. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Guys can, and must allow themselves to cry and show emotion. I'm giving you all permission. :slight_smile:

The idea that crying is a sign of a weakness in a man is total and utter bullshit. Get some guys to cry and you will unleash all of their strength - that's a fact. Men need to let go of their emotion and crying is sometimes the best way to do it. Beware of a man who never shows emotion and refuses help, because it's very likely he's storing up a whole load of 'stuff' and that can be quite dangerous (to him as much as anyone else).

9. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's not that I don't allow myself to cry.. more that I can't. I can get teary eyed, but actually crying just doesn't seem to happen no matter how upset I am. I'm more likely to get angry than cry anyway.

10. justin88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Same here, I can't cry at all.

11. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not sure if this is masculinity based, but more of a need to feel like I'm the strong one in the family and set an example for my siblings, but I never allow myself to cry in front of them. Showing emotion for me is hard. Last night was an example of that, we'd been told that we had to give the cats away on Monday before my mom gets kicked out of the house. Everyone was crying, including my mom. I stormed outside by myself and cried alone. I hate people seeing me cry. Then I feel guilty expressing my emotions. I feel like a burden on other people when I open up to them or vent, even though I go out of my way to support the people in my life. My friends have never seen me cry. I usually appear pissy or angry instead of letting out emotion.
    And while I bawled yesterday because of cats, at my grandpa's funeral last winter, I don't think I ever cried. I sort of was relieved, because he was going through so much pain. I'd known for weeks that he was going to die, and I'd managed to mentally steel myself to the tears. While the death of my grandpa is still a raw wound on most of my family, I am completely over it. It honestly doesn't make me sad anymore. The thought of his suffering ending was enough for me.

I don't think this is a masculinity thing, just more of me wanting to appear strong.

#11 DreamerBoy17, Nov 29, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
  12. MCairo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Rationally thinking, crying is no sign of weakness at all for me. I do feel embarassed though, if I ever let people see me cry. Either way, it's rare for me to be in this state, even when I'm alone.

13. TheBiBoy

TheBiBoy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I try to be masculine enough but I am a very emotional person for a male and I always try to not cry but whenever I get upset enough I get sore from holding it in and I just cry but I think my masculinity is still pretty preserved because barely no-one sees me cry but if they did I wouldn't care and I would just say to myself who cares, being a man doesn't mean you have to be strong, being strong means you are able to show people who you are without trying to mask them all.

14. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am curious how trans guys feel about crying actually. Society tells us that real men don't cry, that it's somehow a rather girly thing to do/only women cry. Personally, I think it's all a load of crap, but that's what society says.

I know trans guys put a lot of effort into passing and I wonder if they feel a need to suppress their emotions in order to pass? Does the societal standard about "real men" not crying have an impact? If the tears do start to flow, how do trans guys feel about that?

15. Gay1234

I am a very emotional male and it does not bother me. It's so cliched the masculinity thing in my opinion

16. ThatBorussenGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Not if I can help it. Only on very rare occasions, and not usually from sadness but from utter rage.

17. VideoGAYmer

VideoGAYmer Guest

i am the complete opposite of masculine. i'm not strong, athletic, brave or anything associated with masculinity.

same here. it's not that have no emotions, it's that i'm very good at hiding them.

18. WhereWeWere

WhereWeWere Guest

Oh yeah, society telling us "real men" is a load of crap. Allowing your emotions out does not make you any less of a man.

And for me, I do think society's standards does have an impact. This may not be for all transguys, but probably most.

I think of it as somebody handing you a card and saying, "Welp, you're a man now! Go act like one!" - even if there is no real way to "act like a man".

19. zachary8709

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I allow myself to cry because I don't see anything wrong with crying. Everybody cries, men and women, boys and girls.

20. Open Arms

Open Arms Guest

I'm a woman and don't cry very often. It's a family trait.

I really like men who can cry. I have more respect for them than for macho men.
    A man who allows himself to be vulnerable by showing his sadness and pain is attractive to me.

Btw gay men seem every bit as masculine to me as hetero men. There were two gay brothers on Amazing Race Canada who cried rivers of tears, but they were tough as nails. I just loved them!