1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you stay hopeful?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Ninetales, Nov 29, 2015.

1. Ninetales

Out Status:
    Some people
    With all the hate that goes on these days to not only the LGBTQIA community, but multiple communities how do you stay hopeful that things will get better?

2. PlaidGlove

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Things don't get better by themselves. There is no law of linear progression in cultural evolution. History has taught us that.

Things have always gotten better by ordinary people like you and me doing the little things that make things better. If people like us exist, people who want things to get better, do things to make it better, they will.

What we need to believe in then, is ultimately ourselves.

3. tgOlivia

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Family only
    How to stay hopeful? Look at history. A few months ago gay people couldn't get married. A generation ago coming out was practically a death sentence. History has always been getting better and better. We don't have slavery, women and people of color have (mostly) equal rights, the lgbt community is not becoming a much safer and more respected place.

Sure, there is still a lot of hate, bigotry, and generally terrible stuff that happens in the world. But it's always gotten better, there is less hate now than ever before (though some of it, especially trans hate is more publicized now as people oppose the rights we're getting). There is not reason not to be hopeful though, because history has been getting better and there isn't any reason that it should stop getting that way. The long arc of history bends toward justice.

4. bulbul

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I've been dying to find an answer to that question

5. Minori

My friends give me hope. They are the reason why I'm alive to this day. I wanted to die, I still do a lot. But my friends give me hope to keep living. That not everyone is hateful and I will one day become who I wanted to be

6. MusicNotes

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The future can only be brighter. You'll get torn down, kicked maybe, but sometimes. You just have to fight it for the days ahead no matter how daunting.

7. setnyx

thank you for this. i needed to read this also. i forget that the one little candle we all light DOES make a difference. your post just did.

8. AgenderMoose

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I see hope in people close to me. And from there, I try to reflect and amplify that hope. At least that's what I think. I'm not too sure.

9. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just feel like I've seen too much not to be hopeful. I've been out for over twenty years and the sheer speed at which things have improved is absolutely dizzying. I've seen so many things and so many people come around in so many ways over the years that I just can't imagine being anything but hopeful...

10. Steve FS

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I surround myself with people who care about me as a person and don't care about my sexuality. I think optimism and positivity is the best way to stay hopeful.

11. bookreader

Out Status:
    Some people
    Just take it one day at a time. Why can't we move all the haters somewhere else like Mars, Jupiter, something?

12. RawringSnake

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I look in the mirror. Duh.

#12 RawringSnake, Nov 29, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
  13. DinelodiiGitli

I don't know if it's hope that keeps me going it's more like....stubbornness.
    I've been drop kicked more times then I'd like to remember and I want to prove people wrong, I want to show them that they've done nothing. That I'm better than that.

Internalized, stubborn hope.

#13 DinelodiiGitli, Nov 29, 2015
  14. Sebulba

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all

This is me

15. Kodama

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I hope you can overcome that feeling one day. You deserve to live, and to live your life however you want and to be whoever you want, just as much as anyone. We all do. I'm very relieved and happy to know you have friends by your side that give you the hope to live. But know that life is worth it. Those who choose to stick it out through the tough things will see the good things that come in life.

We all hope for a day where everyone is treated with kindness, respect and equality. And if we all keep our hope and believe that that day will come, and keep doing everything we can to nudge the future in that direction, that day will definitely come. It's only a matter of time.

You are a beautiful person, Minori. You are. (*hug*)

#15 Kodama, Nov 29, 2015
  16. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

Usually by ignoring humans, and looking at the stars.

17. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A long time ago, I made a promise to a little boy that I would find him and save him. That I would help him become the man he always dreamed of becoming. And I'm never gonna stop till I fulfill that promise.

18. pinklov3ly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I stay hopeful because I'm blessed to be alive. So many people die every day, so I've learned to love each day like it's my last. I used to think that liking the same sex was the worst thing ever, but not any more.

Also, I figured that if any one has a problem with me liking the same sex then they know where the door is, simple.

#18 pinklov3ly, Nov 30, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
  19. Ram90

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I like to think that staying Optimistic and being Joyful and Happy wins half the battle. For me that solves half the problem already. Analyzing the problem and working out whether you can do anything to help solve it makes it easier to understand.

Sure. There might be a thousand things we can't solve with a smile and optimism. But there are plenty of things that can. While I have undergone some painful things in the past, being happy and feeling lucky for being alive and well got me through most of them. I'm confident that things will get better for the world and for all of us. It'll just take time. In the meantime being happy and spreading happiness and support is one thing we all can do. :slight_smile: