1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When a gay or lesbian love/sex scene comes on TV/a movie...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Driftr, Nov 29, 2015.

1. Driftr

...how do your family/friends react? Do they act the same way they would to a regular hetero love/sex scene? Or perhaps (hopefully not) there's a negative uproar followed by a channel change or some other petty reaction. Or maybe there's just an awkward mood or silence.

How do your family/friends react? Also how do you (if you do) keep a poker face?

2. MusicNotes

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hm. Awkward mood or silence, and I think my Parents want to change the channel, but neither move to do so.

3. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello,

The shows I watch are usually quite comical [i.e. FRIENDS] so I laugh when the audience laughs. If it's kissing then I just watch it, if it's a sex scene I skip it [regardless of sexuality]. If it's a show I'm watching, I'm in charge of the remote, which is usually showing the LGBT+ shows. My Mum makes ambiguous comments like ''why does a gay person in real life need to play a gay character?'' [C. Colfner in Glee] , ''they're always putting in references to the fact he's gay in real life.'' [J. Parsons in Big Bang Theory], ''why are they making jokes that they're gay .. cool, or rather not cool?'' [character C. Bing in FRIENDS]. Have no idea what my Dad thinks.

#3 Secrets5, Nov 29, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
  4. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Mine keep an awkward silence for a sec, and then they flip out and desperately try to find the remote. I try to prevent myself from busting out laughing. :lol:

5. waternation

waternation Guest

Friends, it doesn't really bother them. It's just like a sex scene in any other movie. With family... I've had my mum walk out of a cinema before because of a lesbian scene (Black Swan) and it was awkward as anything watching it with her before I was out.

I think with family the mood is just awkward, and yeah, like MusicNotes, they would probably want to change the channel.

I keep a poker face if it happens, because I'm afraid of their reaction if I show anything else apart from being stoic, not only in love scenes, but in anything with same-sex romance too. It's not often that I watch TV anymore with my family though, and there aren't often things LGBT themed on...

6. europeanguy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    im inclined to agree, my parents find it weird and uncomfortable to watch yet dont really change the film.

7. bulbul

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Where I'm from homosexual kissing (and sex) scenes are censored. In many times, even the word "gay" is censored, the voice would just cut off, and if it doesn't, they'll translate it in the subtitled as "pervert" or "deviate"

8. Gay1234

I never really sW my parents react as I jeb meet seen a gay sex scene with them around. The one of the black swan must have wen very upsetting as you are bi. Out of curiosity how did they take it when you came out?

9. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The only thing I can think of is last summer. I was watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer in the living room. My mom came home and was watching it with me in time to catch a lesbian kiss. She yelled "Gross!" but didn't really say anything else. Previously she'd given me long rants about how she quit watching because one of the main characters "turned lesbian" so I knew it wasn't going to go over well. These days, I don't really watch anything around her.

10. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ha...ha

My family would be the negative uproar followed by a swift channel change one. Then, a lecture on how disgusting "the homosexuals" are and how all the TV shows "these days" are trying to indoctrinate/brainwash us into accepting this horrible, evil, perverted thing. A few grunts of disgust... And then probably a proclamation about how we (all the kids in the family, including the adult ones) are not allowed to watch said show anymore.

Suffice to say... What they don't know won't hurt them.

#10 Kodo, Nov 29, 2015
  11. denouement

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    It depends who it is. Most of my family just leaves it on, it's about as awkward as watching any sex scene with your family would be, lol.

But if any LGBT content comes on TV, my dad is likely to swiftly change channel, then loudly comment on how disgusting it was. I pretend it doesn't bother me and don't respond to his comments, but I'm not sure how great my poker face is.

One of my earlier memories is watching TV with him fairly late at night. He'd probably dozed off and woke up in time for the two male main characters to quietly have a conversation, and then kiss (iirc one was going off to war or something). At the time I didn't think anything of it, I figured he just changed it because it was one of those shows I was too young to watch. But around that time he was still fine leaving a show on if it was a male/female kiss scene... definitely the male/male thing that he didn't want me seeing.

12. Steve FS

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    My dad says "Disgusting." out loud and changes the TV channel.

13. waternation

waternation Guest

Wow Bulbul, that sounds terrible. I'm so sorry to hear that. Ugh, that's just so upsetting.

Not very well. My mum also doesn't believe in bisexuality, so she just thinks that I'm gay and was upset and quiet at the time, although I don't know if she's more accepting of it now or not because she doesn't talk about it. I really don't feel comfortable bringing it up with her again though, I probably wouldn't unless I got a girlfriend.

14. Kodama

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I agree with Waternation. I'm so sorry you have to deal with that, I can only imagine how frustrating and and saddening that is.

My family is accepting enough, so they aren't bothered really when we're having a family movie night and a sex scene comes up(hetero or otherwise).
    We don't really come across movies with homosexual scenes very often anyway though, in fact it may have happened but only once or twice(with the whole family around). But with any sort of sex scene none of us are particularly awkward about it. Everyone keeps a pokerface/straight face and stays silent with any sex scene, but there isn't any sort of awkward air or anything, and it doesn't bother anyone.

I'm so sorry for all of you who have to deal with parents that act so homophobic and brutal. I wish the best of luck to you all in things getting better for you.

One day, people with all kinds of gender, gender identities, gender expressions, and sexual orientations will be treated as anyone else would. I'm rooting for that day to come soon.

#14 Kodama, Nov 29, 2015