1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Big layoff

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by starfish, Jan 21, 2009.

1. starfish

I'n kind of in shock right now. They just layed off 65% of my group.

I survived it but most of my friends did not. I don't know, I just want to cry right now. I hope every thing works out for them.

2. thebikelady

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Sorry to hear about that. This is going on all over right now. A few people got let go at my mom's work.

3. xequar

Today was the big cut day in my department, as well. I've been at this company five years now, and this is the sixth round of cuts I've seen. Last summer, my entire department, including me, got cut, and almost 30 people I had worked with since I started got walked out. I got transferred into another department. Today, nine people in my big department got let go, including the director immediately above my manager.

The odd thing is that although you survived, it still sucks, and you'll still have some survivor's guilt. Believe me, I feel for you, and I offer up big hugs. Go out and get a drink tonight and just let it all out.

4. starfish

Thanks guys.

I've been layed off before and I have to that it sucks no matter which side of the fence you are on.

I think my productivity for rest of the day has been shot to hell.

5. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

To think this all stemmed from lack of Corporate Regulation...this whole economic failure.
    Lol, economic regulation is one of my only democratic view.

I'm sorry to hear that :frowning2: .

6. EM68

I'm sorry to hear that. I have been laid off and it sucks. Right now I would just concentrate on your job so you become indispensable. Good luck!

7. starfish

Those of us left had a meeting today, and I am fucking pissed.

Our executive director is an incompetent pompous asshole.

He spent half the time pontificating about a problem the city is having with the water infrastructure and how he knows how to fix it. He then spent the other half the time saying I don't know, every time someone asked a question about out mission. At one point someone asked if we don't know what the new mission is why are we turing away business. His response, "We'll just make it work, and if we can't do that we'll just have to look for new jobs after the next round of layoffs". Bloody christ. A leader does not say something like it. That comment destroyed what little moral was left. Then he started griping at us for not finishing some projects last year. Keep in mine these were projects he pulled us off of, because he said they were no longer important.

Then to top that off I was told to quit worrying about doing my job the right way and just get it done. Yeah forget the fact that by doing it the right way, we have been able to reduce downtime by 50%.

Every fucking department this guy has run he has ruined. This guy just runs around shooting from the hip.

I don't know what I am going to do. I'm just so pissed off right now.

8. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

I'm sorry. Times are tough in this country, and I only see them getting worse in the short term. It's nearly impossible to find a part time job.

9. EM68

When you boss ripped you guys for not completing projects did anyone remind him that many projects were pulled? Also shouldn't that be blamed on the project managers?

10. starfish

Someone brought it up, but he changed the subject. They also layed off all of the project managers. Sigh...

After taking a walk I have claimed dow quite a bit. Reading my last post I was rather upset. Glad this place does not have a swear filter :slight_smile:

I had lots of ideas, I think I am going to do what I have always done. I am going do my job to the best of my ability. When the day comes where that is no longer of benefit to the corporation, we'll go our separate ways.

11. EM68

Thats all you can do.

12. pixrulesx91

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    my area has the highest unenployment rate in the u.s.

13. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    The unemployment rate in my area is 14%. One idiot pulled everybody in a room, told them they were being laid off and said "those of you that voted for Obama can thank him for this!" WTF! That guy should have been fired on the spot for saying that! I don't know how in the heck he could blame this on Obama one week after his inauguration!

14. starfish

Wow Becky, that guy a sore loser.

I have some equipment I need installed in the lab. I usually have one of the contractors or interns install it, but I think I am just going to spend the whole day working in the lab and running cables. It is pretty physical work, but sometimes getting you hand dirty working in the dirt can help get your mind back in the right place.

15. starfish

Well my working in the lab idea did not work out. I was installing some equipment and needed to zip tie some cables. One of the guys let go that I was very close to, gave me his personal zip tie gun. As soon as I picked it up I just lost it. I had to just go sit in my office and cry.

I can't believe this has hit me this hard. I finally recognized what is going one, I am grieving for the loss of my friends. I mean they are still friends, but I won't get to see them much anymore. At least I know I will eventually get back to my self.