1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spaceeee! Where would you want to live?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Kinky, Nov 30, 2015.

1. Kinky

Kinky Guest

Let say humans can colonize and terraform any planet (or dwarf planets, asteroids, moons,..) where would you like to live? How do you image life there?
    I want to live on a moon orbiting Jupiter, imagine huge ass Jupiter in the sky!

2. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

Assuming you could find a way around being crushed, suffocated and boiled alive all at the same time, Venus sounds lovely.

3. Sebulba

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It depends on whether or not it has to be in our own solar system or not.

If it does, then Saturn's moon Titan sounds good to me. Saturn may not be as big as Jupiter, or as colorful as Neptune, but it has the best rings of the gas giant bunch.

However if i could be any where in space, then a moon around a much bigger gas giant with prominent rings that orbits around a close binary star. I could imagine this moon being warm all the time, basking in an endless summer. The habitats would vary from thick jungle to open grasslands, from dry deserts to humid swamps. The animal life would be as diverse as it could safely be on land and in the seas. Of course the weather will not be perfect though, events range from light rain, to hurricanes.

4. AKTodd

If I have to pick a body somewhere on Sol system, I'd say a moon os Saturn (great views!).

However, if I really had my druthers for local space, I'd want a mobile space colony that could nomad around the Solar System, visiting different places, staying for a few months or years, and then moving on to somewhere new.

If I could go live anywhere in the known universe, then maybe in one of the Magellanic Clouds, with the Milky Way galaxy filling the night sky:thumbsup:

Todd

5. Elliiexriley

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
  6. Bismuth

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    It was only a matter of time.

Anyways, i'd like to live in a colonized Astroid belt as I believe that it holds great potential for mankind. Valuable materials could be mined from astroids and some astroids could be hollowed out and spun at high speed to create habitats with artificial gravity. The drawback is that according to a google search the total mass of the astroid belt is about 4% of that of the moon, making usable material much more limited than one would initially expect.

#6 Bismuth, Nov 30, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
  7. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would want to live in Aiur (gamers will understand).

But, now seriously speaking, probably Neptune or Pluto.

8. AlexanderDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Maybe Ganymede (Jupiter moon).

9. Kinky

Kinky Guest

I invaded Aiur a few days ago, lovely place, need more creep.

10. rudysteiner

Either Saturn or Neptune.

I don't believe in astrology but Saturn is my home planet and I've always been fascinated by it.

I'd of picked Jupiter over Neptune, but Interstellar has scared the absolute shit out of me regarding Jupiter.

Neptune seems cool. The only thing I imagine is that Neptune is where the lost city of Atlantis is, and everything is all alabaster-white, pristine and Greek, with beautiful Greek men and Rottweilers and blueberries and it's just hot enough during the day and just cold enough at night.
    I haven't got the first idea about Neptune but that's just how I imagine it.

11. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Gallifrey or Korriban, probably.

But if we must keep it in our galaxy, then Neptune or Jupiter.

12. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Gallifrey, but let's not colonize it ... because The Doctor would stop us and send us home. [BBC, P. Newman and V. Lambert et al.]

13. AlamoCity

Any place that basically mimics Earth.

14. LesbianThrasher

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I think I want to live on Jupiter since it's always fascinated me. Well, either that or Pluto.

15. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A moon of Saturn, if we're going on just the places we know about. That sky would be phenomenal.

Although I've always dreamed of living on a huge ship like the ones in Star Wars. Basically a mobile city in space, with FTL travel, artificial gravity, and everything you need to be self-sustained for months or years.

16. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've always wondered, could cacti survive on Venus if there was a system in place to provide them with a bit of water? I know it would take a long time, but if the cacti could spread that could be the start of an atmosphere. If they managed to thrive, even if Earth ends up uninhabitable from all the greedy corporations, at least there would at least be a bit of life left? I guess?

I wish an experiment like that wasn't so out of reach, though. I'd love to see that or something similar happen. Rather than just focusing if a planet can support people, see if it can support more simple organisms like plants first. After all, an ecosystem doesn't start with complex breathing creatures, even on Earth.

Either that, or I'm just some crazy chick rambling again.

17. AKTodd

Weellll - not so much.

Look at the actual numbers involved.

Per Wikipedia, the asteroid belt masses somewhere between 2.9 and 3.7e21kg. Let's say 3e21kg as a nice in-between number (for those not up on the numbering that's 3 with 21 zeros after it.

Global Annual Food Production = 4e12 kg (4 trillion kg)

Global Annual Crude Oil Production (2009) = 4e12kg

Total carbon stored in coal deposits worldwide (est.) = 3.5e15kg

Combining all that together and we can basically still call it 3.5ee15kg (at these scales, a mere 8 trillion kgs is basically so small as to count as a rounding error).

Assuming that we were to consume an amount of asteroidal mass equal to 3.5e15kg each and every year (which we don't come close to doing now) with no recycling and with no resources gathered from anywhere else in the solar system (which isn't how this sort of thing is generally imagined to happen, but whatever), it would take on the order of:

857,143 years (rounded up)

So it would be a while before we made a serious dent:slight_smile:

Todd

---------- Post added 30th Nov 2015 at 08:21 PM ----------

Unfortunately, the surface conditions on Venus are sufficient to kill pretty much any life from Earth, at least at present.

However, you're not a 'crazy chick rambling' (for this or any other reason I'm sure). What you're describing is called terraforming. It's been around as an idea for quite some time and been considered by a number of people, including some pretty serious scientists.

Depending on the method used and just how advanced the technology level at the time we were to attempt such a thing, it is estimated that it might take anywhere from about 100yrs to several thousand years to terraform Venus (which is one of the trickier bodies to terraform). A mere eyeblink on the scale geologic time. You'd need to start with some stuff that is a good bit simpler than cacti, but you've got the basic idea. :thumbsup:

Hope this helps,

Todd :slight_smile:

18. pinkpanther

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Earth. Preferably in one of the following places: Croatia, The Canary Islands, Biarritz, Hawaii.

19. Psaurus918

Jupiter sounds cool

20. AKTodd

You should check out the Culture novels by Ian Banks. His General Systems Vehicles are basically mobile nation states in terms of population (hundreds of millions to billions of people in ships hundreds of km across) and command vast resources while traveling all over the galaxy.

Todd