1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

falling for friends

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by tyty1211991, Nov 30, 2015.

1. tyty1211991

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So I fell for a guy I met back in August. We both play Ultimate Frisbee, and that's how we met. He lives in Virginia, but drives up to where I live in Pennsylvania for work every week and lives in a hotel. He goes home every Friday, but comes back every Monday. We started hanging out all the time mainly because neither of us really know anyone besides other Ultimate Frisbee players. I moved to the area only about three months before he started showing up.

I found him attractive right away, but learned quickly that he was straight. So I tried to check him off as someone who is unavailable, since I had fallen for straight guys before, but we became closer. We started hanging out all the time. It started with us always going with a group for dinner after we'd play ultimate, then we started hanging out at bars, and then he would start coming to my house for board games and dinner. We eventually started texting each other back and forth which is something that never typically happens with my straight guy friends. I would also notice him smiling at me, and when he would have the option of where to sit in groups, he would always try to sit by me. He'd also asked me lots of questions about being gay, how my family reacted to it, my past relationships, etc. Just stuff that straight guys don't really ask me. He also got pretty drunk once and ran is fingers through my hair, but I think he meant it to be a joke.

I realized I liked him when my friend got dumped by her boyfriend and then suddenly started noticing him two days later. The two of us have had a rocky friendship in the past. She has a tendency of sleeping with my straight crushes. Especially, after I tell her that I find someone attractive. I never got angry about her sleeping with guys I find attractive, since they're unattainable, but things got ugly when I had a serious straight crush in the past. She knew I liked a guy hard, but then screwed him in my house and did not care in the slightest about how loud they were. Things became very ugly between us for a little while, but we eventually did our apologies and tried to remain friends. However, I did stop telling her guys I found attractive from that point on.
    A few weeks ago, she texted me, "So why haven't I noticed (the guy I like's name) before? He's so attractive!!!!" I got really scared immediately, and texted her, "Yeah, I've actually really liked him for a while now." She never responded.

A week later, I texted her to please not pursue him. I had been hearing from a couple mutual friends that she was very suddenly interested in him. She was pretty offended and said that she had just gotten dumped and she is done with stupid relationships. I tried to explain myself and brought up what happened in the past and she simply said that was a mistake and that she wasn't going talk about that again. We haven't tried to talk to each other since. I found out though, that another friend who knows our situation had talked to her after our last conversation, and she was planning to ignore my request. Our other friend, however, I think convinced her not to go for it.

I ultimately ended up telling him that I liked him, however. Right before Thanksgiving. I just couldn't hold it in anymore, and I thought if I told him, then he might keep that in mind if any girls go after him. I did it over a text so it would be a little less awkward. He responded by saying that it wasn't that awkward and he could understand needing to get it off my chest, but he is 100% straight and that he hopes that telling me that can help me deal with it in a healthy way. It was a really short conversation, and he seemed fine.
    So if you're still reading at this point, I haven't talked to him since then and he hasn't tried to talk to me. I've thought about him every single day for most of the day. I want to talk to him and I want to be around him, but I also want to get over him. I'm also worried that my supposed friend will still go after him.

Should I continue to keep my distance from him or try to talk about this some more to him? Perhaps, talk to him face to face? He also asked me, before any of this happened, if he could crash at my house a weekend in December that is drawing nearer. I'm not really sure if he's going to want to stay here anymore. He also doesn't know about my history with my friend, and I worry he'll eventually end up fulling around with her. Should I tell him about that, or am I trying to hard to control people if I do that? I'm worried that I'm just being crazy and selfish.

Thanks for reading this, and any advice for how I should handle this situation from here would be appreciated. :slight_smile: