1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A question for non-binary/non-cis conformists

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by BlueRazzberry, Dec 1, 2015.

1. BlueRazzberry

Out Status:
    A few people
    So, a lot of you people choose to go by more vague pronouns (they/them/etc.) What will your children call you, if you choose to have them? Mom/dad? Will they call you by name? Will you make up a new term for them to use? Is there a general term already in place I'm just not aware of? As someone who is still cis-gendered as far as my pronouns go, I've never had a thought about this and never looked into it. Thoughts?

2. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello,

I like they/them. The adoption agency probably won't allow me to adopt, even though they claim not to discriminate, they avoided my question of ''can agender people adopt?'' they'll probably say ''all children need a mum or a dad''. Or something.

''nezzer'' is a term already in place, but sounds more like a slur to me, not an affection.

3. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nezzer? That sounds like a slur or a monster.

Mada, mopa, pama? I just tried combining some words. I'm not sure if there's an "official" gender neutral variant for parents.

4. Hawk

Admin Team Full Member Away

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was actually wondering this a little while ago, and I found a site (it's not the exact one I originally looked at, but it has generally the same pronouns and titles):
    • Gender Neutral/Queer Titles by Gender Queeries

I don't know how "legit" it is, but I thought it was interesting.

5. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Just saying a parent is not gramatically correct? :/

We say it like that in French and frankly, it would be so much less hassle than making up a new word.

6. thepandaboss

Could also be one of those parents who has their kid call them by their name. Even some straight cis couples do it

7. obsequious

obsequious Guest

Ch-children?

:lol:

Don't know. I haven't really thought about it seeing as I'm not even dating anyone at the moment. Maybe a combination name like EmOfSuburbia suggested. Or just "mum" or "dad". Not really fussed by pronouns/gender titles. It's all pretty meh.

8. AgenderMoose

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm kind of okay with still using "Mom". Might look into something else. Cross that bridge when we get there, I guess. That's just how I function.

9. Oddsocks

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm not personally planning on kids, but I have thought about it and I honestly don't know. I struggle to see myself as 'mum', but 'dad' is right out. So I guess it's good that I'm not planning on it!

(When it comes to familial interactions with friends' children and honorary relatives, I quite like the idea of 'auncle', though. Auncle is pretty tidy.)

10. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm definitely adopting (probably in about 8-10 years), so I've thought about this. Although I'd be perfectly comfortable with 'dad', I also don't plan on coming out to my dad, so that's out. Par (pronounced 'pair', short for 'parent') is something I've considered and like. It also sounds very similar to the French for father (pere). :slight_smile:

It also depends on the kid though. Depending on their ethnic background, I'll probably want to look into those terms.

11. YinYang

Most of my family is Spanish and, according to my mom, when I was little, I'd combine mama and papa to say 'mapa' or 'pama' I'd probably use one of those, if I ever actually have a child.

12. BlueRazzberry

Out Status:
    A few people
    There was no insinuation that it's grammatically incorrect.

I can think of many instances where my niece and nephew were trying to get a specific parents attention, and mom/dad makes that very easy. If they just say "parent," how does that work if they're trying to get ahold of a specific parent? (e.g. yelling from the bathroom, phone call for a specific parent, specific presence requested.) I'm not sure how that even works for gay couples. Does everyone just stick to dad/dad mom/mom (insert non-binary term here)/(insert non-binary term here)? These are of course all things I'll figure out for myself when I have kids, but I'm curious.