1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has anyone here gotten gay married?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by gibson234, Dec 3, 2015.

1. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    We hear a lot about gay marriage in the news. But has anyone here actually gone and done it? If so, what did you do for your wedding and how did it change your relationship with your spouse?

2. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There is no such thing as getting "gay married". There is no such thing as gay marriage.

The Supreme Court was pretty explicit that the institution of *marriage* applied to any two people within a certain age limit who want to get married.

3. AKTodd

Yes, we did. A year ago this December 18th actually.

We got the licenses a few weeks before, then went to the courthouse with a couple of friends and had the ceremony. Nothing fancy, we didn't even dress up for it. One of our friends from the ceremony does photography as a hobby and did some pics afterward. Then we went to the other friend's house for dinner that night. That weekend the friend (and her husband) whose home we went to for dinner after our ceremony took us to a very small, but very nice local restaurant that is gay owned. The owner actually came over to the table to congratulate us and then made a special super-chocolaty dessert for us that isn't on their menu. Another friend couldn't attend but bought a bottle of champagne for our table to congratulate us.

It didn't really change our relationship at all - but we'd been together for nearly 20yrs already when we got married. The biggest change was getting used to wearing rings (we went with handmade sterling silver with a bark pattern from an artist on Etsy) and only having to do one tax return. And the tax savings, both in general and because my husband (as opposed to my domestic partner) is on my benefits at work are very nice(!)

My 2c worth,

Todd

4. DMark69

Actually my husband and I got married 4 years ago this past October. We had to travel to Iowa, since we couldn't in Wyoming at the time.

5. Distant Echo

Same sex marriage is not yet legal in Australia.

6. AlamoCity

Never even "gay-dated."

7. AlamoCity

Never even "gay-dated."

8. mituaski

mituaski Guest

Loved reading this. Thanks for sharing!

9. sleepykitty

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    no but me and my boy friend have been together for 5 years and were currently thinking about marriage .. you know after we graduate this year.

10. RawringSnake

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm glad someone said it, although I sympathize with the OP's conundrum of having to come up with a term to encapsulate what he was trying to convey in a short question.

#10 RawringSnake, Dec 15, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2015
  11. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't know what gay married is.

12. thepandaboss

Hey, one of these days my good man (worth noting that I almost typed "one of these gays"). You're cute, it'll happen.

--

Thought about getting married one day. I suppose it'll happen eventually. But I definitely can't afford to be gay divorced right now. :lol:

13. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My partner and I got married this last October--we were married by a big ol' lesbian in the rotunda of San Francisco city hall and then took pictures with the bust of Harvey Milk--so I'm thinking that we did indeed get "gay married".

We're coming up on 18 years together and my company has insured him for years so not much really changed--although now there's jewelry, so that's cool. We went with white gold because I always remember being chastised by my mother for referring to her wedding ring as silver when it was white gold so white gold is just how I think about wedding rings. We got bands which are matching except for the inscription. The inscriptions are a reference to a line from the song "I Will Never Leave You" from Side Show. The line is "evermore and always we'll be one though we're two..." The inside of my band is inscribed "evermore" and his is "always." We also hyphenated our last names so that's been a lot of work getting everything switched over and has resulted in the whole gay thing finally coming up with pretty much every one of my clients that it hadn't already come up with. That's actually been sort of nice too.

We haven't done joint taxes yet and I'm thinking that we may actually end up paying out a little more because of it, but it still just seems sort of cool. When it really comes down to it the biggest benefit in my mind is that if one of us dies the other one can inherit the retirement accounts without it going into required minimum distribution. What can I say? I'm a banker. I think about these things.

14. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

Gay married? Good grief..