1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moving for school

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by taken, Dec 3, 2015.

1. taken

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There is a possibility that I may be faced with moving to another state for school for the next 4 years. Do you think it is too much to ask for my girlfriend to move with me? She has a job, but not a career, here where we are now. A job that should could find in other places. Because nothing has been decided on my school just yet, we've not seriously discussed this yet. It's been mentioned and she said she would consider it (while smiling), but I feel bad asking her to move and leave her friends to "follow" me around. We've discussed wanting to get married and are very serious about our relationship, but I don't want to seem possessive or ask her to give up things just for me. I want her to be just as happy as I am, but I know there has to be compromise. This part of my schooling is what will give me my career. I have an interview at an out of state school, and there is even the possibility that I may not have to move if I get into a near by instate school (which is why we haven't gotten into the serious conversation about it.) How would you guys approach this? I can do the long distance thing for her if I needed to, but I would much rather have her by my side through this!!

2. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

I would wait on getting too much into it if you're still not sure you'd have to go out of state, but it's always good to talk about it. If it does come to that, when you tell her you got accepted I imagine that stuff might naturally come up, since she'd be concerned about that too. School is clearly very important to you, as it should be if it will lead you to the career you want. So you could just wait until it comes to that.
    Or you could just say "Seriously though, what if I went to an out of state school? How would we figure that out?" Maybe just be honest with her. I mean, she wouldn't be upset at you simply wanting to be with her and she understands school's important to you too and she wouldn't want you to miss opportunities. And tell her too, like you don't want to make her have to leave her friends and job and everything because that's important too.

I hope this helps and best of luck!<3