1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Preferred pronouns

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by wannahavechange, Dec 4, 2015.

1. wannahavechange

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Good morning all my pogs in a blanket it is seriously cold as a witches tit in my house so I'm bundled up in covers XD. On the subject of pronouns I know some people like to be called they,them, she, or he. I know what my assigned sex is and I don't have a prob with it, however when I look in the mirror I don't think of myself as a boy and neither a girl.. moreover as a being right now who is possessing a physical form. Alone by myself I don't usually say I need to get such and such done.. sorry lame example.. instead I say "we need to get ready for school or something like that. I think of myself as two beings or two beings inhabiting the same body. The other me or my subconscious.. I suppose it's an alter ego is my voice of reason and is usually less temperamental than I am. I refer to him as the other Rashid. I've no problem being called by my assigned sex but I know of some people who get heated rather quickly when they aren't called by the preferred pronoun and I'm just like... no one can tell at first glance unless you tell them upon meeting. (!)(!)(!)

#1 wannahavechange, Dec 4, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2015
  2. littleraven

I'm accepting of any pronoun, though I prefer they/them.

3. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I prefer "he", but I'm not as bothered as "it" than some people are. It means to me a pronoun for something that doesn't have a gender, rather than an inanimate object. Just not "she", that's really frustrating.

#3 Reciprocal, Dec 4, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2015
  4. Cedar

I really do wish more people used "he" with me instead of "she". Only a small amount of people offline really respect that. Most people I know tend to ask, "Wouldn't that be awkward? You have girl parts..." Ugh...

5. Acuba403

I prefer she but everyone calls me he because I haven't started transition yet

6. WhereWeWere

WhereWeWere Guest

he/him/his is my favorite, though they/them/their is okay

7. Yato Gami

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't really care about pronouns (well, I respect if other people have special pronouns they want me to use, but I don't mind what they call me)... I'm okay with she, he and they, even though I still don't get the "they"-thingy... We don't have a "they" in german, our "they" is the same word as for "she"... So you would still think of the person as a she and not as something else than girl or boy... For me "they" still sounds like there is more than one person... so yeah, I'm actually really sorry for that, but I haven't figured out yet how not to see "they" as a pronoun for more people...

Oh as I said I don't care about pronouns but what annoyes me is if people actually see me as a girl and if I have to do something "because I am a girl" That actually pisses me off.

8. thepandaboss

In English, they is usually plural but there's times we use it as a singular pronoun, like if we're referring to a person and we don't necessarily know their gender (or, in the case of a lot of non-binary people, it is a preferred pronoun). It kind of surprises me that languages like French and German don't have a good gender neutral pronoun.

9. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    But couldn't you use ''es''? I know it's not quite the equivalent of ''it'' in German, so wouldn't it work?

10. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I currently use they/them/theirs. I also would like to use ne/nir/nemself, but may be harder to get other people to 'go for' this as it's not in common use.

11. wannahavechange

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Noragami yassss!!!!!

12. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've always used he/him pronouns, but I'm also using they/them pronouns as well now, just testing out a different set of pronouns to see what works for me.

13. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If someone wanted me to refer to them by "specialized" non-gendered pronouns, I'd be all in. But if I cannot tell if a stranger/acquaintance is a girl or guy I always use they. I think "they/them/their" pronouns are my go-to for nonbinaries, unless instructed otherwise.

As for me, male pronouns all the way please.

14. Yato Gami

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I know, it just still sounds weird to me though...

Well, "es" is used for objects... I mean things that don't live... I think it's a bit mean to call someone an "es" but maybe it's just me idk

yeah! :grin:

15. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well I'm pretty much a cis male so he/him....

As with Yato Gami, I still have trouble with seeing them/they are singular. Yes, it is sometimes used as a singular but much of the time it just sounds... wrong.

16. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Note on the subject of "they as singular"; you is technically plural, the singular of which is thee. Kinda makes the argument void, since no one uses thee anymore and we all just use you. *English!*

My pronouns are they/them/their or he/him/his. I think pretty much only my sister and cousins (maybe) use they, all my friends here use he.

17. Hexagon

I'll usually say they, though I'd accept any gender neutral pronouns (don't know anyone who uses anything other than 'they' IRL). If I don't specify, people tend to assume he,band depending on the company I'm keeping sometimes I let them assume. It annoys me a bit though.

18. Ryujin

I prefer they, for two reasons.

A) I find the concept of attaching gender to pronouns ridiculous and stupid, which is an example of my linguistic prescriptivist coming through
    B) Despite being happy with being considered male with people, internally, as always, I'm not certain.

That being said, I don't care if people call me he or she, though I feel more comfortable with he.

19. foxer

This is actually such a common problem there have been really many ways.

In general
    Singular they

I'm kinda torn between they and one. Like the way one sounds in a sentence. I bet one would agree.

20. Cornered

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Nobody in real life knows yet except my best friend and I think she forgot and everyone calls me she and I want to try he/him pronouns but one time online I was called 'sir' and I felt guilty but happy at the same time because I feel bad telling people I'm a he if my body isn't... TTnTT

For others, I usually use they/them but I like to use ne/nir/nemself too because the plural confuses me even if English is my first language XP

#20 Cornered, Dec 7, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2015