1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should there be an I in LGBT?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by tourettesqueen, Dec 6, 2015.

1. tourettesqueen

I recall reading somewhere(on some intersex society site, I cannot find it, as it was a long time ago) that while they are flattered that the LGBT community is supportive to them, they do not like to be included in the LGBT circle. I guess that makes since, because being intersex is a physical thing, which can lead to dysphoria and confusion, it is first a condition of the body, and opposed to a sexuality and gender identity, which is in the mind. I know that they don't speak for all intersex individuals, but I would like to hear how any intersex people on here feel about this, and if they is a widely shared opinion amoungst them or not. Personally,

2. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have seen some places that use LGBTQI. Honestly, I think LGBT+ is the best way to go about things. I think intersex people should be included in our conversations seeing that they might have some similar struggles.

3. tourettesqueen

I agree, but the question is, do they want to be?

4. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't know that much about intersex people, so I'm not sure whether or not they do. It really is up to them though.

5. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not sure what to think of the question at hand, but I do know that there should be more visibility for intersex people. I know my maths teacher was very convinced that you could only be male or female when an argument broke out about gender vs sex. I wanted to say "but what about intersex?" but I know I would've just been laughed at if I said that. I've seen people laugh at the term when it comes up on Google suggestions when they begin typing "what is...". Many don't think it's real, which seems a real shame and a pain too.

Though I don't know much about the subject since it's never affected me, my heart goes out to the people who have to face this kind of ignorance.

Er... sorry for my mini rant there. :icon_redf

#5 Canterpiece, Dec 6, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2015
  6. Hexagon

I'm probably intersex, and doctors tried to investigate it, and I realised it was a bad idea and stopped them from going any further. So regardless of whether or not I count as intersex, this is my perspective on the matter:

Intersex people are discriminated against, often mutilated in infancy without their consent or knowledge, and usually assigned a gender, socially if not surgically, that may well not align with how they feel. They may well have non-binary gender identities, or may well want to transition from the gender they were assigned at birth. The point of a queer movement is not to press for the rights of a few rigidly defined categories of people, and fuck the rest of the world. It's to bring about liberation for anyone who doesn't fit into the heteronormative monogamous gender binary society idolises. So yes, intersex people are fucking queer. As for the acronym, the full version, or at least, the longest I've seen, is LGBTQQIAP. Which does have an I in it. But I ain't gonna say that every time, and neither is anyone else. Which is why I don't use the acronym.

7. tourettesqueen

Thanks, sorry if I offended you. Like I said, its not an issue of whether I consider them queer, rather than asking if they do, since I have heard that some do not.

8. Hexagon

You didn't; it's just sonething I have strong feelings about. It wasn't directed at you. Some of the things that have been done to intersex people, particularly medical crimes which I believe often continue today, as well as the general erasure of them, are absolutely awful. Many do identify as queer, and are of course welcome in the community. It isn't like there are mandatory meetings, but I think the aims of the queer movement would improve the world for intersex people too.

9. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, because solidarity.