1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this creepy [and law]?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Secrets5, Dec 6, 2015.

1. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello,

[regardless of gender identity and sexuality involved]

Is it creepy for a 16-17 year old to find someone whose 15 attractive. I'm not talking about sex or kissing or similar, as that'd be against the law. But attractiveness.

On the other hand, is it creepy for a 16-17 year old to find a 65 - 80 year old attractive? Because I'm not sure if a 16-17 year old [late teens], despite being legal age for sex, can actually 'do it' with someone over 18 [legal age for adult in UK].

Thank-you.

#1 Secrets5, Dec 6, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2015
  2. thepandaboss

For the first part, not necessarily because of how close a 16 and 15 year old are in age. Over here we have Romeo/Juliet laws, which basically allow 18 and 16 year olds who started dating before the 18 year old either graduated or turned 18 to stay in a relationship with a slightly younger partner. But it gets weird fast if it's a bigger age gap, like a 20 year old who has their eye on a 15 year old.

To the latter I'm just going to say as someone who prefers older partners- wait until you're a legal adult so it's not weird.

3. thepandaboss

For the first part, not necessarily because of how close a 16 and 15 year old are in age. Over here we have Romeo/Juliet laws, which basically allow 18 and 16 year olds who started dating before the 18 year old either graduated or turned 18 to stay in a relationship with a slightly younger partner. But it gets weird fast if it's a bigger age gap, like a 20 year old who has their eye on a 15 year old.

To the latter I'm just going to say as someone who prefers older partners- wait until you're a legal adult so it's not weird.

4. WhereWeWere

WhereWeWere Guest

I don't think it's creepy at all for someone 16/17 to find a 15 year old attractive. That's not really that big of an age gap. I mean I remember seeing my friend's neighbor who was extremely attractive, I initially thought he was around 14 - 16. Guess the kid hit puberty really early because he was barely 12... that was quite a shock to me.

On the other hand, I don't think a teen being attracted to a way older person is creepy, but it is very strange. We're pretty much programmed to be attracted to people 12ish - 29ish because those are the years when people are the most fertile, thus, making kids and continuing the human population. Obviously, old people aren't fertile. Of course, there are exceptions when it comes to attraction. I mean, we're made to be attracted to the opposite sex, but I'm pretty sure I've lived long enough to see that's not always the case.

5. Hexagon

Part 1: no. Not creepy. You don't suddenly become attractive when you turn 16. and honestly, fuck the law. It's more complicated than that. It's okay in some circumstances and not in others.

Part 2: no. Maybe a bit different, but whatever. They like what they like.

6. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You should have seen the liberals on here express their callous disregard for Katie Hunt's situation. It was disgusting.

Anyway, I think we should do nothing more than evaluate power dynamics in the course of our relationships. If the power dynamics are substantially imbalanced, that is the point where romantic and sexual activity become inappropriate.

7. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    No. I think maybe a 2 year difference for minors should be okay. Although, more than 2 years and I would actually start being worried. If I was a dad, I wouldn't want my 15 year old freshman daughter dating an 18 year old senior boy. I kind of go by this rule "half your age and add 7". It's usually for 18+ year olds, but I guess for 16+ it could also apply...

For the second one, I would say no... but that's only because we all have different tastes. Some people like young ones, some older, and I guess some really old. As long as both are within the age of consent, I say it should be okay to be into 65-80 year olds.

Age of consent varies, so it's hard to give a direct answer when you're almost 18 but quite. Here in Illinois, the age of consent is 17+ for anyone who's not in a position of authority over one another (such as a teacher or police officer would not be allowed to date a 17 year old).

8. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    No. I think maybe a 2 year difference for minors should be okay. Although, more than 2 years and I would actually start being worried. If I was a dad, I wouldn't want my 15 year old freshman daughter dating an 18 year old senior boy. I kind of go by this rule "half your age and add 7". It's usually for 18+ year olds, but I guess for 16+ it could also apply...

For the second one, I would say no... but that's only because we all have different tastes. Some people like young ones, some older, and I guess some really old. As long as both are within the age of consent, I say it should be okay to be into 65-80 year olds.

Age of consent varies, so it's hard to give a direct answer when you're almost 18 but quite. Here in Illinois, the age of consent is 17+ for anyone who's not in a position of authority over one another (such as a teacher or police officer would not be allowed to date a 17 year old).

9. Ryu

Ryu

I'd say it's fine for somebody that's 16 to find somebody that's 15 attractive. There's not much of a difference, it's fine, but don't try and have sex with them as they are legally unable to give consent, make you an offender of sexual assault.

As with a 16 year old and a 60-80 year old... I personally think it's a little creepy, but I guess it is legal as both are over the age of consent, but you do still count as a minor... In all honesty, I'm not sure...

10. Mental

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    That's completely legal where I live, and very common. Where I live, if you're 18+, you can't date someone 16 or lower without the signed consent of their parents.