1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pet tarantulas?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by JessicaWolfess, Dec 6, 2015.

1. JessicaWolfess

Who has them here? and how has your experience been with them? I want to get one but theres a few hurdles to get over for me unfortunatly

#1 JessicaWolfess, Dec 6, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2015
  2. thepandaboss

I for one fucking hate spiders. But with that being said, my partner used to keep them. And as someone with an exotic pet (a Russian tortoise), the big thing is research. Research, research, and more research. Join groups on Facebook, online tarantula forums, and read plenty of books on how to raise them. This is an important step for any pet owner but it's especially imperative when you're raising an exotic.

The proper habitat is important too. Just because an animal can survive in an enclosure doesn't mean they're thriving in it. This is where research really matters. The nice thing about a tarantula is that their enclosures won't need to be that big. You're not going to need a 50 gallon environment, like my tortoise would.

When to Consider Tarantula As Pets | Tarantula Pets

Tarantulas as Pets - Choosing a Tarantula

Tarantulas As Pets

Keep in mind that you're probably going to have to feed the tarantula live, which shouldn't be a problem since it's only once a week but if you don't like handling live food, keep that in mind. You won't be handling it much but watch out for molting- some keepers might have to help their tarantulas molt if they're having trouble.

3. JessicaWolfess

Our house is infested with roaches and I kill atleast 10 a day so handling live food is no problem.

4. Plattyrex

Tarantulas scare me. I hate them. My cousin used to have one and she would pick up and push my face again the glass of it's aquarium or whatever the hell you keep those things in and would be like 2 centimeters from my face. In retrospect I realize that my cousins were all terrible people.

5. JessicaWolfess

I wouldn't do anything like that =/ I realise most people are scarred of them and I'd try to respect that

6. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't know what the hell was wrong with me but when I was around 6 and 7 my dream was to own a tarantula and some hermit crabs... I don't know why, I just had my heart set on having one of the nasty spiders. Now even the thought of one makes me cringe. Ew.

But if you want one, I'm sure there's plenty of online resources. Just promise to keep the cage securely shut, kay?
    http://exoticpets.about.com/cs/tarantulas/a/tarantulasaspet.htm
    http://www.tarantulaguide.com
    http://m.wikihow.com/Pick-a-Pet-Tarantula

#6 DreamerBoy17, Dec 6, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2015