1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I probably overreacting?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by europeanguy, Dec 6, 2015.

1. europeanguy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    So im filling in the uni application on the website UCAS and if you dont know what that is its an official website where you can apply to uni's through it and they get you to fill in details such as your current residency, if your from the UK or not, etc. and I come across this section in "additional details" that asks for you (for an anti-discriminatory thing) to state whether you are transgender and what your sexual orientation is. now im not transgender so I put no to this question, my main worry is if i put my actual orientation (gay) into it that my parents will see (which their twitter account has assured me that it cant happen) and that they might unintentionally state it in-front of my parents (im still closeted) does anyone know what they do with this information as it doesn't state what they do other then "to prevent discrimination". do they get you to wear a special badge? put you in an LGBT society thing? i honestly dont know but i have no where to ask so here i am...any help after that long paragraph would be greatly appreciated

2. Hexagon

There is no way your parents will see it, unless you give them the login details to your ucas account. It's also not UCAS's business, and you don't get anything out of it. The reason they do it is basically so they can keep track of the demographics of their users. That data collected is anonymised, as far as I know, and won't be passed on to the uni or anything like that. But it's really up to you what you tell them. There are no consequences either way.