1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Therapy for sexuality reasons

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by AnotherStranger, Dec 8, 2015.

1. AnotherStranger

Did you ever attend therapy to accept/understand your sexuality?

Im going to my first session tomorrow. Im super anxious. In the website of the therapist she said she was specialized in sexual orientation and included asexual, so Im confident she wont look at me like "you freak" when I explain her my case...

But Im still very nervous and it would help to know if someone else has attended and how did they go :slight_smile: even if its a bad experience, it can help to know what I should expect.

#1 AnotherStranger, Dec 8, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2015
  2. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It should definitely NOT be a bad experience!!

If the therapist is trained and professional it will be a very warm and accepting meeting.

Just go with a few things you know you want to say or ask ... and it should flow from there

3. IrishJ

I am fortunate to have found a wonderful therapist who has helped me to come out to myself and 2 select others. Not all therapists are created equal, hopefully you will be fortunate and this therapist will work for you. If not, there are many others out there. I found that referrals can be a huge help and it was definitely worth my while to approach finding a new therapist with the idea that I wanted to interview them before making the commitment to do the work necessary. I am not trying to scare you off, I believe in therapy, just has taken me a bit of time to find the right person for the job and now am ever so grateful. Be well - J

4. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes.

I would say that the majority of people in therapy are struggling with their relationships, marriages, or sexuality, along with other factors often discussed on these boards, such as depression, anxiety, phobias, personality disorders, and more.

Ideally, all therapists should be equipped to deal with these issues and if they are better at one (marriage, sexuality, gender issues), then they can indicate that in their areas of expertise or focus.

Also, they should not lead someone down the road of boilerplate solutions across the board. Everyone is different, as are their situations.

5. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yep. And I have on and off for many years, for other reasons as well.

Not only can a good therapist be helpful, but it can also be a lot of fun. Me and my therapist tend to laugh a lot at out sessions, for some reason. With my insurance, it costs about the same as a movie, but it's a lot more rewarding.

6. qui8898

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    i would say definitely go and feel comfortable to say from your heart its very important Therapists are there to listen and help you figure out the root of the problem

Best wishes

7. BaldOldGoat

I did, but very early on we got onto the more urgent problems I was facing in terns of low self esteem, so that kind of went by the wayside.

8. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's great. There's nothing worse than a dour therapist and they do exist. If the therapist is dour, run, don't walk ... at least for me.

9. AnotherStranger

thank u guys. Im on my way to the therapist. Ive never been this nervous before. But I hope it's a possitive experience. Here they definitely cost much more expensive than a movie xd maybe like 6 movies xd but anyway I know i need this.

Thank you!

10. AnotherStranger

Done :slight_smile: the therapist was fun and nice and I could explain many things to her without feeling judged. I did feel uncomfortable at some points but she told me we can get back to those later. so yeah :slight_smile:

11. YermanTom

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Many years ago I attended therapy to change my sexual orientation; it didn't work.
    I know a lot of people that went through therapy to deal with various issues including sexual issues.
    The one thing I've learned is going to a good therapist is the best thing you can do. A bad therapist is diabolical.
    Remember you are the one in control of the situation.
    Best of luck I hope your therapist is a good one.

12. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Great post. But the items in bold stood out to me.

A good therapist wants to help you. A bad therapist is someone with which you might have had bad chemistry from the start and the chemistry worsens as time goes on because of stuff that got in the way and keeps getting in the way.

The client/patient is in control and it's important to really evaluate along the way whether the therapist has what's best for you in mind by listening to your gut.

13. ParrotBrat

Out Status:
    Some people
    Glad to hear you had a good experience, op! My mom's been wanting me to see a therapist for years because of my anxiety (of course, the thought of opening up to someone causes me anxiety, so I've never gone). I'm always glad to hear of people who go and get the help they need.