1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would you keep your a partner a secret

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by happydavid, Dec 9, 2015.

?

Would you?

Poll closed Dec 21, 2015.
  1. Yes

11 vote(s)
    16.9%
  2. No

25 vote(s)
    38.5%
  3. Maybe

8 vote(s)
    12.3%
  4. Depends

21 vote(s)
    32.3%
  1. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've been dating a guy online and we've met once but because he is the same age as my dad I don't want most of my friends and all of my family to know. My question is would you consider doing the same?
    Yes or no?

2. Wukie

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I voted no, but it should have been maybe the more I think about it. At the beginning of a new relationship I could see not letting everyone know while you are seeing where it goes. If the relationship got serious I'm not sure I would.

3. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello,

I put 'depends' because I would always keep the first six or so months of a relationship secret to make sure it works before telling a couple of people such as my parents if I'm living with them or close friends if I'm living apart. Then I would tell people as I meet them or on ''Family newsletters'' after this. I learnt from FRIENDS [M. Kauffman, D. Craine, K. Bright] that keeping the first couple of months secret is key to it lasting.

:slight_smile:

4. CameOutSwinging

I voted No only because I know myself, and I tell my friends and family pretty much everything. I'm an open book to a lot of folks. That said, I actually think it's totally reasonable to keep this to yourself during the first few months of the relationship as you figure out if things will work or not. If you've been together for 6+ months and still keeping it a secret, there's something wrong with that to me.

5. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If people know I'm gay they know I have a bf. And usually that's how I end up coming out to people. Just be like "yeah this weekend my bf and I went to the zoo" or something

For 6 months after we started dating my bf didn't tell his family about me or that he was gay at all, and it was starting to reach the point where it was going to be an issue for us, since my family knew and we had even planned a trip to California to visit them. Fortunately he did end up telling them and it went ok.

Long story short, as long as I'm not worried about my safety being out, people know about my bf, and I expect the same from partners

6. Gay1234

I would feel to guilty if I was to keep a partner secret. So I voted no. But I do understand your circumstances.

7. denouement

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    At this point, I would keep it secret for some time... at least a month or so. But in the long run I don't think it's fair to my partner or my family/friends to keep it a secret.

8. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

Not unless I had a good reason.

9. Bismuth

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I wouldn't hide it at college but back at home i'd keep it a secret. I'm ready to be out to anyone except my parents.

10. LogicNoSense

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, speaking from personal experience, I put depends because everyone but my family will know. I've gone on quite a few mad way-older-then-me dating sprees (all of which becoming sexting, dear lord) and everyone else except my parents will know. Of course, for me, they're never serious, that's why I don't tell.

If it is serious, I will consider for a much longer period of time first, to allow the relationship to stabilize. If it's all good, the relationship's stable and going for the long run, then I'll tell them.

Most things are like my sexuality-every one but my family (excluding my sister. She knows all the gory details.)

11. I'm_Danni_x

Depends on the circumstances

12. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It just depends really.

13. hapa

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yes. If my dad finds out I'm gay, I could risk losing all financial support, which is what I still need from him unfortunately.

14. Cedar

I'm not really out to anyone as trans right now so that fact would be kept a secret. Though if I were to, for once, actually pass and have a bf willing to date me. I think I would be very proud of that and I wouldn't feel the need to hide him away. I feel as though I would be doing him and myself an injustice by doing so.

15. timo

Nah, I wouldn't.

I'm out so that's no issue, and I'm not interested in dating anyone in an age range that's possibly frowned upon.

16. Libra Neko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I wouldn't keep it a secret from my parents, my favorite aunt, my sister and her husband, my therapist or most of my friends, so I voted No.
    I have no shame over this. When I was dating another woman, everyone knew. Same with when I was with a man.

17. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It really depends. My first relationship i was in my family treated my bf poorly at first and pretty much pushed us out of town for awhile. Now he is deceased and never really had a chance to prove himself to my family. It had nothing to do with being gay it was other problems. But now I am in a new relationships and we are currently living together. I have not told my family and taking my time to tell them. I want to be open and honest with them but at the same time I don't want any drama that might come from them. I just hope they learned from the last time because i certainly won't put up with it anymore. Maybe it is just me but I don't mind the peacefulness and privacy of a relationship and just keeping it among ourselves even just for awhile. It makes things easier for both of us.

18. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    They might assume the relationship is serious. Also if you want to keep a secret, you better don't take risks. People loves to talk, specially about other people.

19. Distant Echo

I have in the past, and would consider it in the future.
    Everyone's life circumstances are different, only they can judge what they need to do.

20. WhereWeWere

WhereWeWere Guest

If I had a boyfriend, I'd probably keep it a secret