1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does anyone else think their sexuality was obvious as a child?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by europeanguy, Dec 9, 2015.

1. europeanguy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I dont mean that when you were a kid you knew it right away, i mean looking back do you think while you were growing up you did things that obviously gave it away?

I think I did, I was really into action men when i was a kid, collected them and played with them with my sister. thats not even the worst part, i was never a fan of them having shirts haha. oh yeah and I used to go swimming every tuesday with my class in primary school, some of us had to change in the same cubical and i may have been a bit too willing to do that. I seriously look back on my life and wonder why I only figured out that i was gay when i was 17, january this year. i mean REALLY i was doing normal teenager stuff that im not going into the gay way and that wasnt enough of a clue? i went to new york and saw this guy who was really hot and that still didnt give me a clue? haha im hopeless

#1 europeanguy, Dec 9, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2015
  2. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Not me. I'm still the "straightest" lesbian I know. XD

3. ThatBorussenGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Not so much sexuality but gender. And in hindsight, oh hell yes, it was. Saying at six, seven years old that I wanted to be a boy and having no interest whatsoever in girl stuff. Always pretending to be a boy when playing games, among other things.

And yet it still took me 24 years to figure it out. :grin:

4. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    One of my strongest memories dates to when I was 12, nearly 13, and first saw guys my age naked in the locker room after PE classes, and found myself interested in what I saw. I didn't understand it was sexual attraction then--and later found plenty of ways to deny it--but that time--and the memories of the strong feelings--were Exhibit A that proved beyond a reasonable doubt that I'm gay.

There may be things earlier... I can't say for sure. But I do recall having perhaps a little too much interest when a Hardy Boys books had the boys stripping to their underwear before diving into Barmet Bay after a clue of some sort. (I wonder what my reaction would have been at 10 had I read one of the first Hardy Boys books, published ca. 1930, in which they'd go swimming apparently totally naked.)

---------- Post added 9th Dec 2015 at 04:38 PM ----------

And yes, looking back at the locker room incident, I'd say it was pretty obvious I'm gay. But...at that time, I didn't know enough to understand what was going on. I knew the world "gay," but only as an insult boys used.

5. justabluegirl06

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    looking back I definitely looked forward to the Victoria secret fashion show a little too much.

6. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

I don't think I was obvious at all except for the fact that when I was younger I was a MAJOR tomboy, but other than that nothing really stands out, at least not things that were very noticeable.

7. mychemromance99

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Ummm no.
    I was quite straight as a child ( only had romantic fantasies with girls, few).

8. BaldOldGoat

Does a boy reading Nancy Drew books count?

9. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Pretty obvious.. mostly because I was drawn to shirtless men on TV ads. There's always been something about the male physique that has interested me. I never had the same curiosity for the female body. Never had crushes on girls either.

To others, probably not. My behaviour was no different to other boys.

#9 imnotreallysure, Dec 9, 2015
  10. Falklands Sheep

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    In hindsight, I think it was pretty obvious, but at the time I had no idea, and it never occurred to me. I merely discarded things like looking at boys in the locker rooms as mere curiosity.

11. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Who knows?

I read them, too, and I think at times probably liked them better than the Hardy Boys. But it wasn't necessarily being gay as much as liking the plots better. It seemed like Nancy got more fun cases involving spooking mansions, etc in the books that were commonly available when I was growing up. And at times, Nancy Drew was, I think, the better written series--although given the standards that were in place in the 60s and 70s that's not saying much.

I also liked Trixie Belden, which was a girls' series, but had some strong male characters. I think I might have even had a crush on one of Trixie's brothers.

12. sleepykitty

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Hmmm, yeah when i was 12 in my P.E. class it got like really hot so us guys started to take off our shirts, i found myself hard pressed to look away, but i never came to terms with being gay until i turned 17 this year.

13. Distant Echo

I know how uncomfortable I was in the changing rooms. Seeing naked girls disturbed me, and I had no idea why. I would turn my back to them, but found myself looking out of the corner of my eye...seriously. How did I not know? Lol

14. Justinian20

In my teen years is when it started to become obvious, In the locker room I would stare at the other boys, but they almost always caught me. I at the same time actually stared at the crotch of other boys when they were changing.

It was always staring that was my unconscious revealing my true sexuality.

15. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just saw the reference to Action Man in the OP.. I used to love them as a kid. I'd always undress them.

#15 imnotreallysure, Dec 9, 2015
  16. walkerhamilton

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I had crushes on girls until about 6th grade, but all of my friends were girls and looking back I thought it was pretty obvious. My dad said he assumed I was when I came out to him so... But now people never want to assume I am because they don't want to hurt my feelings but I'm like "come on, it is so obvious. And how dare you think I'm straight!?!" :slight_smile: lol

17. Minori

Being trans? Nope. Since I was basically neutral with everything. But mostly wore girl stuff since my mom and dad threw it all at me.
    But I knew I wasnt straight since I adapted crushes on females at age 8

18. Steve FS

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I was a very feminine child, so if we're going by stereotypes, yes, my sexuality was quite obvious as a child.

19. WhereWeWere

WhereWeWere Guest

I think when it comes to sexuality it's too obvious for my own good. If I see a hot guy, I'm gonna be distracted for like, ten minutes.

20. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sexuality, pretty obvious. But before I knew I was trans it was assumed that I was straight.

As for gender (expression) that's crazy obvious too. I always played with action figures (GI Joe, Star Wars, Lord of the Rings), loved video games, rough-housed with brothers, made mudpies, flexed my muscles in the mirror, hated makeup, despised dresses, was the king of airsoft battles, enjoyed sports and skateboarding. Even as a young child I had a tendency to never want to wear a shirt - I'd even fight against my mother when she tried to force one on me. I also liked working out, wearing dog tags and tank tops so I'd look military, burped when I ate (and took pride in it), and was obsessed with superheroes. I always wanted to pee in a bottle too, lol.

As far as stereotypes of transmen go, I fit all of 'em to a tee.