1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

More than 7 colours in a rainbow...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Secrets5, Dec 9, 2015.

1. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello,

I heard that there was 30 letters to the LGBT+ community. Does anyone know them all?

I'm actually asking ... it seems quicker to just put it as the ''Anything other than hating cis-het people community''.

#1 Secrets5, Dec 9, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2015
  2. AlamoCity

We should just call it the G/T* community :lol:.

You are gay (in this case you like the people of the same sex, whether exclusively or not) and/or trans (with the asterisks to include all those who do not feel comfortable with their sex). We are a pretty swell community, haha.

*A play on how students in the United States are sometimes labeled as "Gifted/Talented."

3. guitar

Besides LGBT I know Intersex, Questioning, Queer, Pan. I keep it to LGBT, both for brevity and otherwise it starts to become cumbersome. I think some have argued for it to be called sexual and gender minorities? Makes sense, but again, LGBT is short and to the point.

4. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    LGBTTQQI2PP...

I don't know. There are other acronyms, just they aren't as well-known. I like MOGAI best; Minority Orientations, Gender identities, And Intersex.

5. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    LGBTQIAP+... Actually, I'm frustrated by all the letters... I agree with AlamoCity to an extent that it should be shorter. However, just G/T doesn't include intersex people and asexual people (and maybe more, I don't know). We could call ourselves the S/G community, where S stands for Sexuality (as in any sexuality that is not heterosexual), and G stands for Gender (as in all people who have difficulties with their assigned gender/sex).
    But even this probably has loopholes that makes it exclusive in some way. Sigh... It's hard to find like a short acronym or word or whatever that includes everyone and isn't like 26+ letters...

#5 Invidia, Dec 10, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
  6. YinYang

In my opinion, the Queer Community fits perfectly, but I know some people don't like the word queer... Sigh. And it didn't even consist of a million letters or anything...

7. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    We could always change the meaning of 'Queer' and other offensive words to mean positive things ... and so that way nobody could say horrible things as there'd be no horrible words.

Just an idea to discuss.

---------- Post added 10th Dec 2015 at 08:07 AM ----------

I think if we made it any sexuality other than hetero then it might in the future mean that people discriminate heterosexuals for being hetero as they're not being included in this group and the future people might forget why they're not being included in the first place, especially since there are now many accepting hetero and nobody can choose their sexuality so it wouldn't be their choice not to be included in this group. This argument is the same for cisgender.

Thought I'd point out your loophole for discussion.

#7 Secrets5, Dec 10, 2015
  8. Rainbow Slug

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree with YinYang that I would rather it just be called the Queer community if we want to include everyone who isn't cis-het. Otherwise I'm sure there would be 30 letters, or maybe more, and no one wants to type that, much less say it out loud.

I know some people don't like the word "queer", but the fact is we live in a cis-gendered heteronormative society, and until that changes, we are "strange or different from a conventional perspective" (the primary dictionary definition of "queer"). Plus I really like reclaiming words. Being different and unconventional should never have been a slur in the first place, and language can evolve to reflect that.

9. Some Dude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    That's more letters than the English alphabet lol

10. ForNarnia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I think I could name more than half of them, but don't quote me on that :wink:

11. Foz

Foz Guest

Gin and Tonic community? I can live with that! :lol:

And how many letters? That's ridiculous, pansexual is not a sexuality, it's a bi person who will consider non-binary. Asexuality isn't a sexuality either, if anything it's a disorder as to feel no sexual attraction is not 'normal'.

12. Awesome

In college in Massachusetts, from Pennsylvania
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wasn't homosexuality once officially regarded as a mental disorder for that same reason?

13. Foz

Foz Guest

While it was still a sexuality, you have to ask what does it objectively mean in the medical world. Lacking a major part of what it is to be human is not correct, you cannot just label things as you wish them to be.

14. Par

Par

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Don't go around telling people their sexualities/genders don't exist

15. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    30?!

I think we all need to take a step back and find a better acronym for ourselves. As it is, the acronym is far too long and unwieldy. "Lgbt+" is nice and covers everything though personally, I prefer "Golbat" or "Quiltbag".

16. BlueLion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    In my opinion, people are free to use the letters they want. I can create my own rainbow. Another person is free to create his/her/their own.

P.S. I usually say LGBT+

#16 BlueLion, Dec 10, 2015
  17. thepandaboss

I don't like the word queer but I also prefer the idea of having just one word, if that makes any sense. We have so many identities that people use under the umbrella that it'd be cumbersome (and it already is) to fit people in. For that reason I could tolerate queer (we use it in genderqueer, to describe a sexuality that's hard to put a label on, etc) if it was something we all basically used and its use as a slur died out.

18. rudysteiner

On the subject of this, I think it'd be harder to change the meanings of the words to something more positive again, because of the impact these words have had when shooting down the 'Queer Community' if you want to call it that.

The word 'queer' has meant everything from happy to stupid (I personally think the derogative use of 'queer' stemmed from it being used as a substitute for stupid, but I may be wrong). Same with the word 'gay'. The word 'faggot', though, used to mean a stack of paper about 150-200 years ago, if I remember that correctly.

Usually though I'll just say 'the gay community', or 'gay people' and categorise everybody under that, just for ease.

---------- Post added 11th Dec 2015 at 01:52 PM ----------

Quiltbag is a good one. No idea what it stands for, it just sounds more wordy.

#18 rudysteiner, Dec 11, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
  19. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Another major part of being human is to accept other people ... but obviously that's something you can't do. Another example of the oppressed becoming the oppressor. I mean, what you going to do, force asexual people to feel sexual attraction? Electricute them, put them in jail? I have no faith in humanity if you actually think that's a good idea, because society doesn't get better, it's just what is/isn't accepted changes over time.

20. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    To be fair, asexuality is indeed an orientation, but, if we're using the widely-used definition, it is rare. There are an awful lot of people who are using that word to describe what is actually a transient issue caused by co-occurring disorders, medication, or other factors. So it is a very widely misused term.

I also agree that the alphabet soup is ridiculous and the movement toward over-inclusiveness is pandering to people who want to feel special.