1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Favourite all time quotes - share them here.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Kodo, Dec 9, 2015.

1. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Share your favourite quotations from anyone or anything right here.

2. guitar

"Seasons change and so did I, you need not wonder why."
    -The Guess Who

3. ParrotBrat

Out Status:
    Some people
    Specialization is for insects.
    Not sure who said it but you can Google it. Came to me in a time of need and changed the way I think.

4. DougTheBicycle

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "In the end, everything is okay. If it's not okay, it's not the end." -John Lennon

"We are all given one little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." -Robin Williams

"Never say goodbye. If you don't say goodbye then you aren't really gone, you just aren't here right now." -Tex, RVB Season 10 Ep. 22

Too long to post, but Prospero's last soliloquy from "The Tempest" is my favorite thing ever.

#4 DougTheBicycle, Dec 10, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
  5. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    HERE COME DA PAIN

"Life is all about resolve. Outcome is secondary. It is resolve that determines the true value of your life."

"Ships are safe in harbors, but that's not why ships were built."

"Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times if one only remembers to turn on the light." - Michael Gambon

"We all have light and dark inside of us... what matters is the part we choose to act on; that's who we really are." - Gary Oldman

(when confronted about his absence from church) "I'm not a bad guy..! I work hard and I love my kids! So why should I spend half my Sunday hearing about how I'm going to hell?!" - Homer Simpson. Mostly like this one because I find it funny. ^^

"Fortune favors just the brave - that's what the blessed always say." - Tobias Sammet

"Why can't people just be nice to each other?" - Jason Lee

"There is light, but the only way to light is through courageously confronting darkness." - Slavoj Zizek

might add more later haha

#5 Invidia, Dec 10, 2015
  6. AtheistWorld

AtheistWorld Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    “So, in "Melting Pot" the children (about a third of whom were kids of color) sang the line, "America was the new world and Europe was the old," in one stroke eradicating the narratives of indigenous persons for whom America was hardly new, and any nonwhite kids whose old worlds had been in Africa or Asia, not Europe.” Tim Wise

"More than 820 million people in the world suffer from hunger; and 790 million of them live in the Third World."
    Fidel Castro

As often as Herman had witnessed the slaughter of animals and fish, he always had the same thought: in their behavior toward creatures, all men were Nazis. The smugness with which man could do with other species as he pleased exemplified the most extreme racist theories, the principle that might is right. ~Isaac Bashevis

"Women hold up half the sky.”
    ― Mao Tse-tung

#6 AtheistWorld, Dec 10, 2015
  7. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Guest

"I had convinced myself for many months that I didn’t really mind the absence of intimacy in my life, the lack of real human connection, but the pleasure I’d felt in this woman’s company-the ring of her laughter, the innocent touch of a hand on my arm-exposed my self- deceit and left me hollow and aching. " - Into The Wild (Jon Krakauer)

"You don't know about real loss, 'cause that only occurs when you love something more than you love yourself. I doubt you've ever dared to love anybody that much." - Good Will Hunting

8. mychemromance99

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    The worst prisons that we build for ourselves, are not of stone, or even matter,
    but of our own making.
    - James Bradley, The Resurrectionist.

9. Berru

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    "Love is whatever you make it to be" from the song 'Game of love'

"Never bend the truth to fit your reality" - Ajahn Brahm
    "It will pass." - Ajahn Brahm.
    The last one has been very comforting for me, as it reminds me that all situations and feelings, good or bad, will pass eventually. The good is to be enjoyed and appreciated while it's there, and the bad doesn't seem so bad when I know it's only temporary.

I'll probably think of a thousand more quotes as soon as I post this, so I might return later.

10. GayBoyBG

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality. - Edgar Allan Poe

If horses could draw, they would draw their gods like horses! - Heraclitus

One cannot know that which is not - that is impossible! - Zeno of Elea

"And God said “Love Your Enemy,” and I obeyed him and loved myself." -Khalil Gibran

Trust those who seek the truth, but doubt those who claim they have found it! - Hannah McKey, Dexter series

Trust not a woman, that says "I don't know!". She is a woman, after all - she must know! - Internet

And many, many more. Whenever I read a book or something in internet, I write down the parts I like the most :slight_smile:

#10 GayBoyBG, Dec 10, 2015
  11. waitwhat

waitwhat Guest

Extinction is forever.

It may not necessarily be true anymore with science attempting what it is, but...

12. DMark69

"640K ought to be enough for anybody" - Bill Gates 1981

13. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    "We may not be heroes but perhaps if we keep pretending to be, others will be in our name." - Robin Hood in 'Robots of Sherwood' from Doctor Who written by Steven Moffatt

"Follow every rainbow until you find your dream" - Mother Abbas from Sound of Music, music by Sherman and Sherman

14. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    “You have to be careful of books and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.” - Cassandra Clare's Clockwork Angel

“Sometimes you read a book so special that you want to carry it around with you for months after you’ve finished just to stay near it.” - Markus Zusak

“Playing it safe doesn’t stop bad stuff from happening. So you might as well go for it.” - Cutting Edge 4: Fire and Ice

“You’re always going to be the same you, just older. It’s not like there’s a moment where you wake up and go, Shit, I’m grown up, I don’t feel like myself anymore.” - Hannah Moskowitz's Invincible Summer

“Is this your destiny? Or the destiny someone else forced on you?” - Avatar: The Last Airbender

“My days of not taking you seriously are coming to a middle.” - Firefly

“When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water.” - Unknown

“The universe is big, vast, complicated and ridiculous, and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles and mass theory. Nine hundred years and never seen one yet. But this would do me.” - Doctor Who (Pandorica Opens)

“Pride is a very common failing. By all that I have ever read, I am convinced that is it very common indeed; that human nature is particularly prone to it, and that there are very few of us who do not cherish a feeling of self-complacency on the score of some quality or other, real or imaginary. Vanity and pride are different things, though the words are often used synonymously. A person may be proud without being vain. Pride relates more to our opinion to ourselves, vanity to what we would have others think of us.” - Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice

“We all live in a harsh world, but at least I know I do.” - Downton Abbey

I have a quote document seventeen pages long so I'll stop there. :grin:

15. ThatBorussenGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My favorite quote is the one in my signature: "It is not what you say, it is not what you think, it is not what you feel. It is what you do."

I'm not sure where the quote originated. I can trace it back to the guy who designed the Titanic, but I'm not sure if it was actually his quote or if he heard it elsewhere. [​IMG]

16. Rydia

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    'Dark times lie ahead of us and there will be a time when we must choose between what is easy and what is right.-Albus Dumbledore'

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." - Eleanor Roosevelt

“I don't understand it any more than you do, but one thing I've learned is that you don't have to understand things for them to be.”
    ― Mrs. Murray, A Wrinkle in Time

“Sometimes I believe in as many as six impossible things before breakfast.”
    ~ Alice, Through the Looking Glass

“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”
    ― Dr. Seuss

“Be the change that you wish to see in the world.”
    ― Mahatma Gandhi

“Here's to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They're not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can't do is ignore them. Because they change things. They push the human race forward. And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do.”
    ― Rob Siltanen

17. lovetoomuch

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” - Theodore Roosevelt

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine

"You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough." - Mae West

"Work hard and give your best every day until your idols become your rivals."

#17 lovetoomuch, Dec 10, 2015
  18. KoffeeMonster

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    "Heeere's Johnny!" - The Shining

19. Libra Neko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    "It's better to regret something you did than something you didn't do." - I learned this quote from part of a Red Hot Chili Peppers song.
    "The Earth doesn't belong to us, we belong to the Earth."
    "Hate is not a family value."
    "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."

20. Nire4321

"You have the emotional range of a teaspoon"
    - Hermione