1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are there female juniors??

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Spot, Dec 10, 2015.

1. Spot

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Junior like where a father and son have the same name, that's the best explanation I can come up with :slight_smile:. So the father would be: Firstname Middlename Surname Sr. and the son would be: Firstname Middlename Surname Jr. I've only ever seen this with father and son but could a daughter have the same first, middle and last name as her mother or father (if his first and middle names are unisex)? So then the mother or father would be Sr. and the daughter would be Jr. Or maybe even a son could have the same name as the mother if she had unisex names. Has it always just been for fathers and sons? Maybe this could be problematic because the daughter might want to change her name (either completely or hyphenated) if she gets married and then she wouldn't be junior anymore but I guess a male junior could change their surname too. I don't know why but I really want to find out lol :grin:.

2. Violet4

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Good question! xD

Probably there are, but I really don't have an actual answer...

Me, my sister, and my mom have the same "second" name, but different first names, but I know that's not what you mean.

Really, how does one come up with these doubts and concerns? xD

3. Distant Echo

I'm a genealogist and I've never seen it used for women.

4. AlamoCity

I think that maybe this stems from the fact that men usually have held most rights and privileges and the need to differentiate between men with the same name in a family was important. In certain royal houses the crown would usually pass to the next available male heir.

It could also stem that it seems that (historically, anecdotally) it is common for sons to be named after their fathers, but rare for the same to occur with daughters/mothers. Maybe this quirk in our naming customs prevented people from developing conventions on differentiating between two women in the same family who held the same name.

5. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The sort of family which engages in that frankly rather primal dynasticism usually doesn't make much room for girls.

6. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't know why, but I read the title originally as "Are there female janitors?"

Anyway....

I don't think so, I've never seen that happen before. I know when researching into my family tree this happened a lot with the males in the family. There were so many Edwards, Williams and William and Edward juniors. It's damn confusing. At least it's easier to differentiate when researching into female relatives and ancestors, when researching into the males in the family it was easy to get them mixed up despite the "junior" titles and one even had a "Sir." as a title which really surprised me.

7. hispanicninja9

Well, actually, in some parts of the world it happens. My mom used to work in a call center. She had to call to Tucuman, which is a very traditional and mostly rural province in our country. Her boss would give her a female name she had to call, and when she said she wanted to talk to *x female name*, they would ask her "mother, daughter, or granddaugther?". The same name was shared between the three generations.

8. Thedistra

I always wished for that as a kid. Although I wanted to be Raymond Jr not mom Jr.

Ah well. I'm sure it happens, just not nearly as often.