1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are transracial and transspecies people problematic to the LGBT community

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Driftr, Dec 11, 2015.

1. Driftr

Sorry for this long rant, but I feel like I need to spill everything out of my mind. And I just don't know where else but here.

Like I don't know if it's just me, but I feel like "transracial" and "transspecies" people, as much as they may not mean any harm in their identity, make people take us less seriously.

Like ever since I came across the Rachel Dolezal story, I felt so uneasy, like as if I can tell that this is just going to make us all look so bad.

To be honest, I feel like an ignorant cisgendered heterosexual will look at all of this and say, "Damn, they must all be crazy." And let's be real, not very many cisgender heterosexuals are going to go out of their way to research about what identities are scientifically legit (if you know what I mean). And when they try to teach LGBT science in school so people will understand that we're not crazy, conservative parents have a field day with it, so it's all just unfortunate.

It's not that I feel like I need validation from cisgender heterosexuals, but I feel like since this year alone, we had Caitlyn Jenner make a splash, promoting transgender rights, followed by Rachel Dolezal, who was promoting "transracial" whatever, it's like I feel like ignorant people will see them both as the same thing and people behind the scenes in the media will be more reluctant to represent LGBT people because they feel like they would have to accomodate "transracial" and "transspecies" and even "transage" (if that's even the right term) people as well.

Yup, you saw right..trans age. There's a grown, middle aged guy who, not only is transgender, but has left his family to live as a 6 year old.

Canadian man leaves family to be transgender six-year-old girl Stefonknee Wolscht | Daily Mail Online

I can literally hear a straight cis person out there saying "Enough is enough. I'm not supporting any of this PC crap anymore."

I feel like this is just crossing the line at this point. This is just going to totally undermine everything that transgender (and maybe even all of LGBT people) have been fighting for.

Does anyone share my concern? I don't mean to spread fear or anything, but I just can't shake off this feeling.

2. WhereWeWere

WhereWeWere Guest

3. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, it is incredibly concerning.

#3 Canterpiece, Dec 11, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
  4. YinYang

I definitely see where you are coming from. Many people would assume this is the exact same thing as transgender and cast both aside as 'not real' or something like that.

5. Driftr

Uugghh. You have no idea how much I'm just fuming. I can see it already. People comparing all of us to those type of people. It's just the "trans-age" story that just hits me the hardest. Like literally WTF? Just when things seemed to be getting better... I can see people in the far right having a field day with this... And scaring away any allies who were just starting to warm up to us...:frowning2:

6. Spot

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, definitely. I agree with everything you've said!

7. Im Hazel

Yeah, people say a lot of stuff. I hope that through education we can overcome ignorance. It does seem like an upwards struggle at some point, but at the end of the day, either we can teach people that being transgender is serious or we can fail, and have all these fake identities as equally accepted as us. And while the first is preferable in most ways, the 2nd is still an improvement over outright hating everyone different. <3

8. WhereWeWere

WhereWeWere Guest

In addition to my previous post of simply "Yes.", time to go on a little rant

it's complete and utter bullshit. and a disgrace to actual transpeople. I'm fine with transwomen, transmen, and non-binaries. Being "transracial" or "transpecies" is not a real thing. Why is transracial impossible? Because there are no hormones to have your brain wired like another race.

It's like this:

Estrogen = female hormone
    Testosterone = male hormone

There's no such thing as "black hormone" or "white hormone", or whatever race you want to put out there. There are only male and female hormones. How much of each hormone you were exposed to can have an effect on gender identity or sexuality.

The same thing goes for... what are they called, otherkin? Something like that? Y'know, the people who claim to be a "cat trapped in a human's body" or some bullshit like that. Yet again, it is scientifically impossible to have a brain wired like a cat's, because humans are not cats. Even then, male and female cats have testosterone and estrogen in them. Again, there is no such thing as a "cat hormone".

And transage? Do I even have to get started on that one?

I wish people outside of the community would stop associating being transgender with being "transspecies", "transage", and "transracial". They are not the same, never will be, and as a transguy, I find these people ridiculous and insulting. I swear to god if anybody sticks up for their identities I'm hopping on the "I'm sick of this political correct shit." train, too.

9. Falklands Sheep

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    As one of the most conservative people in this forum, I totally see where you're going with this. And it's true, it is going too far. While I do understand cases like that trans-age person are extremely rare and most probably fake, the way it got attached to the LGBT community is, for lack of better words, insultingly stupid.

The idea of the LGBT community is to generate common ground for our people in the context of gender identity and sexual orientation. If at any point it attempts to grow beyond that, it will start losing credibility fast. And if people suddenly start believing we're "so open minded" that we accept someone who thinks himself a horse as completely sane, then we have a problem.

The main problem comes when people fail to distinguish rational thinking and confuse it for being open minded. Being open minded can, sometimes, be a naive approach on life, because one gives more importance to acceptance than common sense. If anything, we should strive as a community to show ourselves as rational thinkers, and condemn movements that go this far. We should show we know there are limits, and maybe even apply some extra limits to our own behaviours.

10. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    [YOUTUBE]BMUl6w1efXI[/YOUTUBE]

I'll just leave this video from Collegehumor here on the subject.

#10 Canterpiece, Dec 11, 2015
  11. MCairo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Ok, I'm going to disagree with most people here.
    I'm a cisgendered gay guy, closer to the masculine side of the spectrum (at least that's what I think haha).

I just read the article on the transaged girl and watched the video too. Yeah, when I saw ''transage'' I laughed, but after reading it I thought the girl was quite serious about it. Does it look ridiculous that a father of seven suddenly becomes a 6-year-old girl? Yes, but lots of people still think that a man or a woman that leaves their family to become a transgender are still ridiculous.

And what's up with you guys, fearing that society won't take you seriously if they associate transgender with other kinds of trans people? You sound like those masculine gay guys that fear being associated with feminine ones, because ''oh no, those femme guys make me look so bad, what is the more conservative folk going to think about me?!''

Shouldn't we all live by the principle that people should be free to live the way they want to?

* Sorry if this sounded aggressive or something, it's really not supposed to :slight_smile:

12. Driftr

But if we can't even get the education to the people to need it the most (conservative people) because parent's won't let it happen in the schools (well the US for example), then what's the point? I feel like the US should follow in Canada's footsteps and introduce LGBT topics into the curriculum. But whether it's even plausible in a country like the US is the question.

That's the frustrating part. That we need to bring all of this information and differentiate different things to people who wouldn't otherwise go out of their way to find it for themselves because it has nothing to do with them (because they're straight and cis and enjoying the life so what's a "freak" like an LGBT person to them?) yet are the ones that cause us harm due to their ignorance.

Not to mention, we have to educate people in a way that they won't lose their attention span (because let's be real, a lot of people in the US are stupid (no offense, but a country that would allow Donald Trump to go up in the polls must have a lot of stupid people in it).

The only time I see a straight cis person even bothering to research about this is if someone in their family comes out or they have an LGBT friends and even that is no guarantee.

13. Winter Maiden

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    False equivalence. Again, let's not sitch out rational thinking in favor of being open minded. Sure, it's great to be open minded BUT we must use rational thinking to draw the line somewhere and transage, transracial, and otherkin is where I would say it's too far. Their is no biological basis for these.

14. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

eh probably. I'm personally fine with it as long as they aren't annoying about it.

15. KnucklesNation

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I hate to say this, but personally I think the trans-racial, trans-age, and trans-species thing is a little bizarre.

1. Your race should never matter in the first place, so I don't understand why anyone would want to undergo something like that.

2. Unless you've stumbled upon the fountain of youth, you can never erase the years you've been on this earth or your date of birth. I'm all for "you're only as young as you feel" but this is stretching it.

3. I wanted to be an animal when I was a kid, and for one day out of the year I got to be one...Halloween...don't see why they'd want to be an animal for reals and I'm sure the little kittens will still see this man as a human so that's really pointless.

But that's just my opinion. I'm down with PC Principal (South Park reference) but this is where I'd draw the line. I can't really bash these people who are willing to undergo these major transitions, but I can say they probably will be lumped in with transexual and transgender people because the same arguments could be used in all scenarios.

For example: People who go through a gender/sexual transition usually say it's because they've always felt a stronger connection with the opposite sex; so who are we to say that because a man feels more of a connection to a cat that he can't do it? Maybe it's not always about the brain, maybe it's the matters of the heart and him being happy by being what he feels he should have been all along.

I'm pretty much saying that you can't be pro-transexual and anti-trans-species (or possibly anything else) without seeming or sounding like a hypocrite; or better yet those same people who disagree with transgender people because it's "outlandish" and "unnatural".

16. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Beat me too it :lol:
    Ughhhh...

17. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I just read the story about the transage thing and, wow...

That person needs help... I can't say they're not transgender, but a transgender person is still the age that they are. Sure, I can understand longing for a lost childhood, but this is not the way to do it. Still, it's better than dying, I suppose. They should get counseling to for grieve their childhood properly.

This is sad that we are mixed in with those kinds of people because obviously, that person has underlying problems. As for transracials and otherkin, I don't believe they should be seen as similar to transpeople. Nope, melanin doesn't have any impacts on your brain, believe it or not. It's not like hormones.

18. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Transage does have some logic to it if you think about it, because there is proof that some people have the psychological brains of a different age- especially with certain disabilities. It is completely 100% possible for someone to be technically 25 but be mentally 5 years old. By law, these people do in fact need their parents to be their legal guardians and give parental consent to certain activities- they cannot and shouldn't be treated like an adult.

Transrace and Transspecies does not because there is no psychological proof behind it.

#18 Creativemind, Dec 11, 2015
  19. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    At a certain point we have to draw a line, or every special snowflake on the planet will come up with some level of bullshit to make their snowflake extra special.

Transracial, transspecies, and transage... are all serious mental health issues at best, and complete and utter bullshit at worst. And nobody better throw up the "But homosexuals were once seen as mentally ill" argument either. That argument is old, tired, and completely inaccurate.

Quite frankly, it's an inevitable outcome of a generation raised with the mistaken idea that self-esteem building is everything. There's been lots written about this, it's been studied pretty extensively, and it's basically a textbook case of good intentions in new child rearing trends gone completely awry.

I feel bad for these people to the extent that they honestly believe this bullshit, but what they need is help for their delusions, not to be coddled with support for their ridiculous beliefs.

20. Winter Maiden

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Couldn't agree more. :thumbsup: