1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Homophobia/transphobia from within LGBT

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Jean24, Dec 12, 2015.

1. Jean24

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hi everyone! I'm new here and I'm writing a paper on basically LGBT hate stemming from the LGBT community! I'm interested in the opinions of anyone here as to why the groups with community have had troubles dealing with each other. Thanks!!

2. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Maybe because when someone who was* oppressed realizes there is a group more minority them, they want power and control they've been lacking, so take it out on them.

*I say 'was' because if you can hate on other people then you're clearly not oppressed as you have freedom to hate on other people.

3. Jellal

I think sometimes, meeting a real asshole who is sexually aggressive can cause an individual to feel a bias against a certain group. This can easily happen within the LGBT community too.

4. Jean24

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    That's an interesting social perspective, thanks Secrets5!

5. Hexagon

Often I find people who are more accepted by society - cis, gender conforming gay and lesbian couples in relationships with traditional structures - either don't become politically conscious, and don't learn about the struggles of others in the community, or think that we're too... queer... and are holding them back. Not to say that all people in the above category are problematic, but that the problem I notice derives from a position of relative privilege within the community.

6. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In any large community, there are bound to be disagreements. Unfortunately, just because someone is queer in some way doesn't guarantee that they'll be a pleasant person.
    (This topic comes up so often, we should make a sticky :lol:slight_smile:

7. Spartan 117

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As the poster above points out, this question comes up a lot. I think I've just come to the conclusion that there are always going to be ignorant and bigoted people around - unfortunately, being a part of the LGBT community is no guarantee of being a good person.

Like (I hope) everyone else who uses this website - I realise that our diversity makes us strong. We all know what it's like to be different, in one respect or another. We should embrace those differences and share our experiences. It's only with mutual respect and understanding that we can grow as people and as a community.

That's my two cents anyway.

8. AlamoCity

Within the "gay community" (i.e. those who have an attraction to the same sex) there is this idea some have that you can be "too gay" or that perhaps if you "act straighter," then maybe you won't be discriminated against as much or could lead an easier life. We see the news feature a gay couple who got beat up and then see them talk to the media and look at the way they dress and talk and we might even say, "well, of course they got beat up; be more 'straight' and this won't happen to you."

Within the trans community, there is a huge premium placed on not only "passing" as the desired sex, but almost fetishizing certain features (usually secondary sexual characteristics). Trans guys dream of beards and may even consider them to be one of the hallmarks of masculinity; mind you, not all cis guys can grow one, but it puts an enormous onus on those trans guys who don't fit into the mold of what other trans guys consider to be "idealistic of a man." For transwomen, there is also a huge premium placed on "femininity." Be more masculine or feminine than society allots to your gender identity and you may fear being questioned: if you are a feminine transguy why not stay a girl? If you are a masculine transwoman why not stay a guy?

9. Abbra

Hate pockets form in minority groups often to make the individual distance themselves from the discrimination. They are trying not to be "the bad kind of gay". It's schoolyard rules. You pick on them so that they don't pick on you. Trans people are sadly a very easy target and get the brunt of all of it pretty frequently. Being gay is starting to be pretty mainstream and easy to understand. Meanwhile, the world is still widely uninformed about what transgenderism is.

Ignorance is just something that exists. I've met a ton of hispanics that are vilely racist against black people despite the fact that the two groups receive the exact same mistreatment. It isn't logical. It's a power trip.

10. Minori

There are some people who hate those that are "too gay" like AlamoCity said. Aka they fit a bunch of stereotypes and it bothers many people. I know many people that have complained of those people, and eh. They don't bug me. I find the "overly gay" people tend to be the funnest around.

There is also people who hate those that talk about their sexuality whenever they can. Kinda like when someone gets a boyfriend and they non stop talk about him. It's like, cool, we know your gay / know you like him, now calm down.

The one thing I've faced personally is, some people from LGBT don't approve of transgenders. They don't understand it, dislike it, etc. And they aren't supportive.
    I find its, awful. Because we are both discriminated in some shape or form.