1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If You Want to Adopt: Are You Out About It?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by CJliving, Dec 12, 2015.

1. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I've known for a really long time that I'm going to adopt when I want to start a family. I "came out" last year to my family about adopting. I say "came out" because every time I tell someone that this is what I'm doing there's a reaction/response that feels a lot like coming out. I get a lot of "omg you're so brave!" or "but don't you want your own?" or "you don't know what you're missing". The result being that I feel like some kind of 'other' just because I want to adopt versus birthing my children. When I mentioned it when I was home for Christmas last year, my dad even took me aside to have a conversation about it. I've had to defend myself to a lot of people about it.

So I want to know about your experiences with it. If you've adopted, plan to adopt, maybe even if you were adopted how people reacted to your parent(s)'s decision; what kind of response have you gotten? Are you 'out' about it?

#1 CJliving, Dec 12, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2015
  2. wannahavechange

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been adopted. But it was by my aunt so it really wasn't a big deal. However she still doesn't want me to know that much about my mother. So I have to ask my grandmother. I plan to adopt but I want to make sure that the child is old enough to understand he or she will have a gay father(s) and the type of judgements people will pass. I dislike it when I come across an article about children of gay couples speaking out and it's always slandering the parents. My grandma is a huge lesbo and my aunt now mother is kinda bitter and while she can talk to my grandma's partner I feel she's rather uneasy about my sexuality and doesn't bring it up as much, for example: I was volunteering at a wildlife rescue coalition and I was on the phone with one of the overseers, my step father/ uncle asked is that your girlfriend? To which I responded: you know I don't roll that way. Then my mother got all offended and said don't be inappropriate to me. And I was like dafuq did I do XD... I do plan on adopting.. I don't know about providing the child with the whole missing out on a traditional mother and father role... but I'll try my best to give my child love, laughter, food, clothes. My child's job will be going to school and being a kid. I'll teach them the meaning of hard work, grit and determination, my kid won't be lazy af... but if they want to they can. They'll always have a place to come home and there is no pressure to move out after 18 but you at least have to have a hobby or emerce yourself into something. I'm crying so hard right now... uggggh the feels!!!!

3. ForNarnia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I've been saying it for about three years now. My family aren't aware that I'm not straight, but they know I'm going to adopt. The worst part is that whole 'why not have your own?' crap they throw at you.
    They will be my own kids!