1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buried or cremated?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by crimsonarcher, Jan 24, 2009.

1. crimsonarcher

I know it's an odd, unusual thing to bring up, but some of my uncles got into a debate over which is better for you after death: being burnt to ashes, or buried six feet under forever. I just wanted to ask, whihc one is "better"?
    :confused:

2. Nick

Being burnt to ashes. No real reason, but at least those left behind wouldn't have to worry about visiting the wrong grave, I suppose.

3. Mickey

Neither one is good,it means you're dead! Actually,I am being cremated. Not sure if it's better but it's just my choice. Cemeteries have always creeped me out.

4. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I actually don't like the idea of either. The thought of cremation scares me because I want to be whole, I don't want to scatter. (I know it's terrible, but I can't even consider donating my organs after death, because the thought of being incomplete and of parts of me living on inside someone else terrifies me.) I'm not a fan of the idea of being buried, though, either. Hopefully I won't have to deal with it for a long time yet.

5. StrataScribe

Call me morbid but I enjoy cemeteries. You can cry (for whatever reason), as subtly or as obnoxiously as you feel necessary, and not be judged. I've wasted large amounts of my childhood wandering cemeteries on my own. I don't know, I feel strangely at peace around the dead...Having said that though, I'd prefer cremation.

6. Courtneyyy

Cremation. Coffins and cemeteries and headstones are expensive. They'll be taking all my organs (if they're usable when I'm dead) and then I'll be cremated and thrown away. When I'm dead, my body won't be me, I don't want a big production out of what to do with my remains.

Funny story. I've known that my mom wants to be cremated for a while and I've known that she is claustrophobic for a while also. I never really thought the two were related. One of the reasons that she wants to be cremated is because she can't stand the thought of being in a coffin, even when she's dead. I find that to be really funny.

7. Ionless

No option for me if I die here, there's about as much space to bury people as there is during Barack Obama's inauguration.

8. Lychee

Just because you are cremated doesn't mean you're not in a cemetery. My dad and dog both got cremated and are in this cemetery where we have a plot, it's really nice, with a rose tree and stuff. So I will probably get cremated and put there too. The reason I prefer cremation is, I really don't want people to have the option to dig me up for whatever reason after I'm dead. I mean, they can still dig up ashes but that'll be different.

9. Amy

Amy

Burried. Ideekay why, I just don't like the idea of cremation for me.

10. Jerr

I'd want something with a plot... so buried with someone or cremated and buried in the spot. Dun care. As long as I have someone I care about like that by time I die. haha

11. n8i2c7k

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Cremated. I don't think people need to see my body after i die so why bother preserving it. Although i'd probably say just go for the cheaper one :lol: i'm so chang

12. Brandford

Cremated, The idea of my body decomposing under the ground in a wooden box creeps me out, plus I hate cemeteries and I take comfort in know that if anyone were to ever raise the dead, I wouldn't be one of those zombies walking around terrorizing people

13. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Cremation. It irritates me to no end thinking of how much space we could save if we didn't have churches, golf courses, or graveyards. Keep me as far away from them as possible, even once I'm dead.

14. Peter

I used to say cremation. Recently I have changed my mind. Near to where I live, they do "green burials" and that is what I want. You are buried in a wicker, bamboo or cardboard coffin, and a tree is planted on the grave. No headstones, no memorials, just left to feed the tree with my remains. Of course, before that, they have authority to remove any organ they might want for a transplant.

15. SuperNovaRoamer

Cremation. Burn it all...I no longer need it.

16. cjtom

cjtom Guest

I did want to be buried with a mobile phone so if I were still alive I could call for help! Plus recieving a text message during the service might be pretty funny.

I actually think I'll be cremated...not sure where I want to be kept/ scattered though.

17. Ty

Ty

I'm going to live forever, so it's irrelevent.

18. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I don't care. I'll be dead so I have no use for my body. I just don't want much money being wasted on the funeral etc. I'm gone, move on please.

All my organs are offered for donation (I selected "any part of my body may be used for the treatment of others"). Whoever has to sort out the funeral or whatever can decide what to do with the rest.

19. tallship

well in my family we had a green burial , near us is a site that you can hold your own remembrance service and have the choice of being cremated or buried in a cardboard or willow coffin , and then either be buried/ interned in a plot that will have trees planted over it in time.
    The area is wooded and the plots will all be woodland in about 30yrs.So you return to the earth ,give new wildlife a habitat and best of all to my mind the land is open to walkers and well behaved dogs , dogs can also come to the remembrance service. They also worked out to the cheapest funeral service as a bonus.

20. EM68

My mom and I were talked about finial arrangements yesterday. I sold her some life insurance and part of it I had to ask he what it would be used for. Then she said that she is so claustrophobic that she wants to be cremated because she can't stand the thought of being buried. I am not too sure what I want but I like the idea of a green burial.