1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"As gay people, we get to choose our family."

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ForNarnia, Dec 14, 2015.

1. ForNarnia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    This is something RuPaul said on Drag Race once, and it really struck a chord with me.

What do you guys think? Do we get to make our own families to an extent, within the community?

#1 ForNarnia, Dec 14, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2015
  2. Rainbows~Exist

I believe that this is 100% true. Growing up with an orientation differing from heterosexuality wrongfully brands you as being 'different'. Some have it easy and have accepting families who will love them unconditionally no matter what whilst others receive a negative response and are even thrown out of their homes; this is where the statement ties in. Being a part of the lgbtq community we get to seek solace and family with those in the same situation.

I regard EC as my family due to the fact that it is a place where I know I can seek advice, friendship and love :slight_smile:

3. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Biological family are there by accident. They can be real family or not.

Everyone should stop feeling ashamed of trying to do the right thing, making own choices... It's our life.

I don't know my biological family a thing, but some of them have earned my love and trust through their actions, specially through their support and love, regardless of my gender, orientation and the color of my socks... Also how much I earn, which seems to be a thing on my family, you know...

The fact that I was in some woman's uterus doesn't turn her to what a real mother should be.

4. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As much as I don't like RuPaul, I agree completely.

5. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I totally agree, even if it's a tad heartbreaking. We all have to stick together and be there for each other! (&&&)

6. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The line:

"I can choose my friends, and I can choose my family. If they won't accept me, then others will have me."

From the song "Spectrum" by the YouTuber who goes under the username "Boyinaband", comes to my mind from this quote. The song "Spectrum" deals with the issue of coming out and delivers the clear message of assessing the situation before you try to come out to people you are financially dependent on- which is a really important message.

I think for most people who are independent of their family, they can decide who they want to keep in their life over time for the most part.

[YOUTUBE]vYoapICIfeE[/YOUTUBE]

#6 Canterpiece, Dec 14, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2015
  7. eMei

I automatically knew where this quote came from when I saw the thread title and I completely agree with it. RuPaul is so amazingly inspirational.

8. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is absolutely true and a very important thing to understand about being LGBT.

And to be clear, family means family, with all the characteristics of family; including the personalities, flaws, qualities, joys and sorrows that go with it!

As the years progress, the intricate web of connections that we weave in the beginning become something more solid and more substantial over time. Family is something to be built and cultivated, which means take your LGBT friendships very seriously and learn to love them fully as the brothers and sisters that they are!

9. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think anybody can choose their family, regardless of sexuality. I mean, maybe they can't choose the exact detail of DNA of their children, but they still choose to have a child together.