1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If you were a teacher and an lgbt student was attracted to you...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by I'm_Danni_x, Dec 15, 2015.

1. I'm_Danni_x

How would you react? How would it make you feel? Would you feel uncomfortable around the student?

2. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

Uhhh, and thats why I wouldnt be a teacher. >_>

3. Steve FS

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Yes, I would feel uncomfortable. Not because they're an LGBT student, but because they're a student...

How would I react? Internally, I would just feel knots of worry and perhaps annoyance. I would feel a teeny bit flattered, but more like this is another hoop I have to go through to make this year work.

Would I feel uncomfortable around the student? No. I will act professional and do what I do - teach.

4. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

And if you were attracted to them, also?

5. I'm_Danni_x

Yeah you could add that in too.

6. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not sure. Bringing it up with their parents might make the parents feel uncomfortable, because they might see me as the one trying to instigate the relationship - but if their infatuation with me was having an impact on their education, I'd probably be obliged to do something.

If I thought they were attractive.. well, acting on that is entirely out of the question. Even if they're old enough, it's still inappropriate. A teacher is there to educate, not to sleep with their pupils.

7. Steve FS

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Yup. Teaching isn't the only profession where you can be attracted to a client (the student). In all careers, you need to be professional and put your attractions to the side. Being a teacher is no exception.

8. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm worried I would develop feelings for them and then something illegal could happen. But is ill never be a teacher ever!

9. XenaxGabby

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'd probably be flattered but a little uncomfortable. If things got too out of hand then I'd let them down as easily as I could. Tell them that there is someone out there who would be able to reciprocate their feelings.

10. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'd feel flattered too, but as long as this student is on my class there is no way on earth I would initiate or follow anything. Only if the student has left school and is legally an adult, then who knows... It would feel weird anyways, but you never know how relationships develop.

If I was being actively seduced by the student, or if I saw the situation as dangerous, I would look for help or at least talk about it with a coworker. Worst case I guess I would leave. I don't think I could handle it very well, I was never a good diplomat and I wouldn't want to be the asshole who breaks anyone's heart.

11. I'm_Danni_x

What if the student was aware that you were attracted to them, would that also make you feel awkward?

12. GhostCake

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That'd probably be the worst case scenario for a teacher so i guess i'd panic. A lot of super awkward panic. And try to change my working place to get away from the situation as things like this could easily cost a teacher their job..

13. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'd follow the procedure of what you're supposed to do when any student is attracted to you.

14. sleepykitty

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    i would feel kind uncomfortable, but would still do my job and teach, just get on with my day.

15. Libra Neko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would feel uncomfortable because this person is a student. I'm thinking, if this is before college, wouldn't it be pervy to have a relationship with a student?

16. ForNarnia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Depends entirely. If they were a Sixth Form or University student, it wouldn't be so bad, but either way, they're a student, and there are rules about these things.

17. WhereWeWere

WhereWeWere Guest

Considering the fact that I'd be a legal adult in this situation, I'd feel pretty concerned that a minor is attracted to me. It would make me uncomfortable no matter the sexual orientation/gender identity

18. Lone Dragon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It would be a little strange, but as long as they don't act on it and everything remains professional, its cool. I hope they don't expect me to give them an A though.

But hasn't everyone had crush on a teacher before? I really don't see a problem with it.

They would never know.

19. Hexagon

I wouldn't be particular uncomfortable or concerned. It's not much different from anyone else being attracted to me, I guess. It shouldn't be acted on though; I think the power imbalance is too great to overcome in order to have a healthy relationship.

20. lovetoomuch

An interesting question and really relevant to my life since I'm studying to be a teacher. While it would be flattering, you have to set boundaries and be really cautious. Schools of education now even warn you about all of these things. I was told by professors, "Never be alone in a classroom with a student" or at the very least "Have another teacher checking up on you." You could do nothing wrong and end up being accused of something.

Unfortunately, I think there would be some biased against LGBT members in schools. If a female teacher and a male student were in a classroom, no one would think anything (unless there were suspicions). If it is known a student is part of the LGBT community and the teacher is as well, there could definitely be assumptions made, which would cause rumors and even stuff getting back to school administration.

I would try to help the student as much as possible if he / she were struggling with LGBT related issues, but as the teacher you would not be allowed to get very involved.
    I have done substitute teaching and while I think I'm far from good looking, I have already experienced some flirting.

It's weird this question is brought up. I had a very, very good looking male teacher in high school and while I wasn't out as gay and I don't think he noticed anything, I flirted all the time. I really regret it now, but I remember hoping something would happen. Stupid puberty and hormones. Sometimes in high school, you don't know any better.

#20 lovetoomuch, Dec 15, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2015