1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yelled at by a gay couple.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Just1Dude, Dec 16, 2015.

1. Just1Dude

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sooo

I was grocery shopping and needed some ground beef. So I went to the meat section! I was waiting behind two guys. They were taking a little while so I turned around to look at stuff behind me. I turned back around and one of them turned around and snapped at me

"WHAT?! YOU'VE NEVER SEEN FAGGOTS BEFORE?!"

I felt my eyes widen and felt the "WTF" face changing. I don't know what clicked in me, but I shot back "I'm bisexual you idiotic fug nut! You of all people shouldn't be so quick to judge!" ...I really said fug nut. I have no idea what the heck a Fug Nut is, but apparently that guy was being one at that moment.

I just wanted some ground beef :icon_sad: I left the store after that feeling pathetic. I guess I am now out to my Mom, cousin and two strangers. :bang:

I tend to over think a lot. I have been doing that ever since it happened. Part of me wants to stay mad at them, but another part of me feels sad because they have obviously felt hate before. Living in the bible belt I'm sure can do that to you. Still frustrated though!

2. Steve FS

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Hehe, sorry. I had to let out a laugh at that "fug nut" part. I've never heard that before.

But it's all right. They shouldn't have assumed that you were judging them, though.

How did they react to you saying that?

3. Just1Dude

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    They were shocked and their faces softened up. I didn't stick around though.. as soon as I said it I turned around and left. I was pretty embarrassed (partly by saying fug nut) by yelling back at them.

4. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We all lash out at times. Dwelling in the past won't help you any, though. All you can do now is figure how to move forward with this.

And besides. Calling someone a "fug nut" isn't even the worst that could happen. On the bright side you've just invented a completely brilliant insult which has been added to my personal vocabulary.

In all seriousness, though. I think it's very admirable of you to feel compassion for those guys like you do, despite the little skirmish. You aren't pathetic - don't beat yourself up over this. At least you don't have to stress about coming out now, am I right?

If you wanted to re-address it with your Mom and cousin, you could always say something like, "So you know that day in the grocery store..." to get 'em talking.

Best wishes to you.

5. Just1Dude

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Haha, thank you.

It has been a rough and busy two weeks. I have to admit I shed a tear in the car - I guess all the stress and emotions overwhelmed me. I couldn't get out of that store fast enough. I'm not the type of person to cry, and even if it was one tear it felt like a river.

I just added them to my coming out list, thankfully my mom and cousin have known for a long time. I'm sure telling them that story (when I'm over it) will be fun!

6. Steve FS

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Well, if anything, the gay couple probably feels like crap. The one guy that snapped at you probably regrets his words and feels like a complete idiot. At least, I would, for being so presumptious.

Honestly, I would have done the same. I mean, what else would you do when you're being wrongfully judged, right?

7. Just1Dude

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    From the quick glance I got from them before I walked off I could definitely tell he knew he screwed up.

I have always been a scrapper. I back handed a guy that hit my nephew with a shopping cart a few years ago, but this one I made myself vulnerable by sharing my sexuality with them. I guess I was thinking "how dare you" or something like that. I know I will get over it. I just wish it would have happened when I didn't feel like the world was caving in around me. Meh, when it rains it pours.

#7 Just1Dude, Dec 16, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2015
  8. Steve FS

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Take a deep breath. If you feel like you're being pushed around, push back harder. You have that kind of strength in you, which I admire a lot. You can do this. :thumbsup:

9. bookandquill

Out Status:
    A few people
    It can be annoying when you accidentally out yourself. At least for me, it was annoying to think that not even who knew my sexuality was in my control. I don't know how you feel, but I hope that you look back on this as a story to tell at parties.

And I bet that couple realized what they said after you left.

10. Distant Echo

You did the only thing you could. you stood up for yourself. Well done :slight_smile:

And "fug nut" omg. Added to my list. :grin:

11. Just1Dude

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you again. Definitely felt weak today, but I'm feeling better about it now. I will take the deep breath advice, it does help :slight_smile:

12. MetalRice

Totally adding "fug nut" to my vocabulary.

In seriousness, I am sorry that that happened to you, it was probably just a stupid dust-up and it's the past now; it's best not to dwell on it.

13. Open Arms

Open Arms Guest

You did the right thing. Good for you!

14. TraceElement

That was a bloody good response! I would have done the same. You were stressed and he was a little rude to you.

15. RawringSnake

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Fuck yeah that's how you answer to that! So proud of you.

[​IMG]

16. BobObob

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When interacting with random people in public businesses, it's not uncommon to come across people who are quick to take things personally. Add to that the fact that some people have been conditioned to believe that others are bigoted against them, and it makes it more likely that they'll irrationally quickly conclude that someone is

If you don't mind me giving an anecdote as an example of how customers can irrationally take things personally...
    In the last month that I worked as a cashier, I had a customer try to purchase an item that rang up at it's regular price. When he saw the price, he notified me that it was listed as on sale for a cheaper price (roughly half off if I remember correctly). Usually, I would radio a co-worker to verify the sale price, but as often is the case, this happened during a rush, which meant that there were no co-workers available to do that. Yet, I couldn't leave the front since I was the only cashier and there was a line.

I hesitated for a moment to decide what to do, but decided to just sell it at the price he claimed it was listed as since the difference was under the dollar amount that I have the discretion to use my judgement to adjust the price. However, because I hesitated in just taking his word for it that it was discounted at the price he claimed it was, he was offended that I didn't trust him. To me, it's very irrational to take offense to the fact that some cashier who doesn't know you is reluctant to take your word for it that an item is discounted. You're basically being offended that someone isn't gullible enough to trust a random stranger with their employer's money.

When I had downtime, I was able to go to the shelf and verify that it was on sale like he claimed. But it's still irrational to be offended by the fact that a cashier is hesitant to adjust the price based solely on your say-so.

#16 BobObob, Dec 17, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2015
  17. bidemi

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You gave them a nice response.
    But on another note,may be they've been judged a lot for their sexuality and felt like u were judging them.Good you told them off.

18. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

They were just instigating confrontation for no apparent reason. How hilariously stupid of them to assume that of you. Hopefully they learned something from this or they're gonna get their ass beat someday if thats how they act.

19. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Sorry to hear this happened. Obviously they shouldn't be so quick to judge.

I often try to avoid saying I'm gay in such a situation. I like to see if I can prove a point without giving them any bias in my favor.

20. WhereWeWere

WhereWeWere Guest

I don't know if you guys heard of FML, but this came from that site/app. This reminds me of the situation

"Today, I saw a lesbian couple walking through the mall. One of the ladies walked up to me in the middle of the busy mall and started screaming at me about how rude it is to stare, and how we are all equal- straight or not. I was only staring because I'm a lesbian too, and they were hot. FML"