1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Non-binary gender in the real world

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Hexagon, Dec 17, 2015.

1. Hexagon

1. In your experience of the world off the internet, have you come across non-binary gender?
    2. Do people have any understanding of it?
    3. Have you met someone who identifies as non-binary?
    4. If someone used non-binary pronouns, would others respect this?
    5. Any media exposure of non-binary people?

2. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    l. I don't think that I would've known without EC and exploring my own gender. It's not a well-known thing at all off the web.

2. These people weren't really out to a ton of people. I know within my GSA pronouns and names are respected, but none of these people were out to teachers/school at large. I'm fairly sure that most people wouldn't "get" it. (People mentioned below)

3. Yes, 4 people actually. 1 of which is genderfluid (my crush, ironically), one I met in GSA yesterday who is bigender, one who identifies as agender (another person I almost dated!) and a genderqueer person I met in middle school. I guess I know a lot more non binary people than I thought! I have like all the labels :lol:

4. Honestly, I know that I do, but for the majority of people, I think it depends. For a lot of people, non binary people are something they can't wrap their heads around, for many it is a new concept. In other words, probably not. We need more awareness to be spread before asking for pronouns becomes commonplace.

5. Besides Ruby Rose, I've never seen it. :frowning2:

#2 DreamerBoy17, Dec 17, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2015
  3. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family

1. In your experience of the world off the internet, have you come across non-binary gender?

Yeah, quite a few people actually, as well as agender.
    Maybe, a little. Thing is that it's hard to pin it down since enbys tend to be across a very wide spectrum.
    Yes, more than one someone in fact.
    Yeah, although I think it's hard to adjust outside of s/he, people definitely try (in my experience).
    Yep, although very limited or hush-hush. I can think of like 5 celebrities off the top of my head that have openly stated, multiple times, that they aren't binary (Steven Tyler, Miley Cyrus, David Bowie, Ruby Rose, Miss J Alexander, ...).

4. YinYang

No, I've only seen talk of it online, which kind of sucks.
    I guess some people do, but most don't.
    I have two genderfluid friends, but that's it.
    I definitely would, but I know plenty of people don't. I'm not sure how many would respect it, but I assume it's not many.
    Umm... I know ChandlerNWilson from YouTube... and a few other genderqueer youtubers. But none on TV or anything.

5. ForNarnia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I know of one non-binary person in my area. I've never really spoken to them, but y'know. Everyone still calls them a she, and some people think they're doing it for attention. To be fair, I don't know them well enough to comment.

Everyone understands it, it's just that most people think it's just another way to be a special snowflake. In all honesty, they feel the same about me, too :/

#5 ForNarnia, Dec 17, 2015
  6. littleraven

I'm the only one I know of in person.

#6 littleraven, Dec 17, 2015
  7. thepandaboss

1. Only because I used to be in LGBT groups.
    2. Not outside LGBT spaces, no.
    3. Yeah, I knew a couple people. Met them all in my LGBT groups.
    4. In the group, yes. Outside, no.
    5. Only person I can think of off the top of my head is Miley Cyrus coming out as genderfluid.

8. AgenderMoose

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    *looks at self* ...Yup
    Very few people around here understand it. Made a survey over transgender/nonbinary friends for my school. Lots of people didn't really know what nonbinary was.
    Myseeelf. And a friend of mine is genderfluid.
    I'm trying to get my friends to. It's not working very well. A minority of my friends actually use my pronouns. Others don't and when I try to correct them, they get frustrated because "I can't say they for one person"!
    *points furiously at Undertale* The protagonist has no confirmed gender, they are referred to with gender neutral terms only!!! *absolute joy* Aside from that, apparently what the people above listed (I didn't know Miley came out as genderfluid, that's pretty rad). Then like...nothing else.

9. Hexagon

I'll answer my own questions.

In this city (brighton) we're absolutely fucking everywhere. Also in anarchist and radical circles beyond the city.

Some do here. Outside my little queer bubble, no one has a clue, basically. But it's weird, I'm in such a radical and alternative place that it starts to feel normal that people understand and respect my gender.

At this point, literally hundreds I think.

A lot of people here would, some would poorly attempt it, and others wouldn't at all. Outside, very few would do it, and pretty much all of those would first require a detailed explanation of gender.

5. Any media exposure of non-binary people? Well a couple of months ago a food blogger came out as non-binary. That's all I've noticed.

10. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    1. Not really
    2. Some girl at my school mentioned agender people
    3. No
    4. I highly doubt it
    5. There's Ruby Rose, but I don't think she's very good representation because she acts like gender is based off of gender roles

11. Alisa Arwen

Yes. My fiancee identifies as agender, and I may or may not identify as genderfluid.

Somewhat. I am aware of agender and genderfluid to a greater extent that other identities, eg bigender

My fiancee.

Others should respect it. I would. It might take time, but I would try my hardest.

Very little. I have read a piece about brains not fitting one particular gender, shown by scans, and the piece noted that it could be validating for non binary people. Other than that, very little.