1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Homophobic Definition of Gay!?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by alli o, Dec 17, 2015.

1. alli o

alli o Guest

so I was just recently researching the definition of gay when I found this...
    Gay
    3.foolish, stupid, or unimpressive:
    "making students wait for the light is kind of a gay rule"

does this offend anyone else that this has become a definition by oxford dictionary? Or am I just being oversensitive?

2. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, the purpose of the dictionary is to define and inform us of words' meaning in all circumstances, based on how society uses that word. Even if it's an offensive word. Meaning if it's a word that is used in such-and-such a way, then that word evolves and takes on new meanings. It's simply the way language works.

What you've found is essentially the *derogatory usage of the word 'gay' and it is only one of many definitions listed. And note that they do list it as such:

*informal, offensive: foolish, stupid, or unimpressive
    "he thinks the obsession with celebrity is totally gay"

I don't think there is any reason to be offended by a dictionary definition. It is just stating a factual meaning - albeit an ugly one that some people utilize.

For the rest, here is the definition of 'gay' in question from Oxford Dictionary.

3. ThatBorussenGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Doesn't the full edition of the Oxford Dictionary have every known word in the English language in it? Stands to reason that there would be most definitions of a given word, as well. I wouldn't take too much offense at a dictionary definition of a word.

4. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is the dictionary with "swag, selfie, and vape" in its definitions so its academic legitimacy is suspect.

5. ThatBorussenGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I wouldn't really call their academic legitimacy into question just because those words are in there, Argent. Stupid words or not (don't even get me started on "swag"), they've become part of everyday English lexicon. They need a definition.

6. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The only other definitions of gay are ''happy and full of life'' - used by 1950s generation.

7. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It doesn't offend me. Words aren't homophobic, intent and actions are.

I hear kids my age call things gay quite frequently. That's not directly homophobic, the same way that calling something lame is not meant as an attack on disabled people. Definitions change and morph over the years, and although many words were first used in a derogatory sense, that doesn't mean everyone uses it in that way.

But that's just my thoughts. Obviously, people are allowed to be offended by these words.