1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Grand vs Great

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Ram90, Dec 19, 2015.

1. Ram90

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So. I'm not from a First-World Country.

So when we use terms like Grandparents and Great-Grandparents it is quite straight forward.

For years I thought the extended versions were the same.

That, The Sisters and Brothers of your grandparents were called Grandaunts and Granduncles. This was what I thought was the norm. Also because we don't use such terms where I come from. Even if the guy in question is the 4th Cousin of your Grandfather, he is your grandfather. Not 4th cousin 4 times removed or a type of uncle or anything. Calling him anything but Grandfather would be considered disrespectful.

So when I discovered the brother of your grandfather is actually called Great-Uncle, I was like WTF?

That makes no sense.

So if anyone can make me see sense, please do? Because that is just plain crazy in my opinion. Talk about creating confusion in relations. :eek:

2. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi,

Great = older than

You can add as many 'great' onto it to show how many generations older than you.

I guess it's just a way of defining it, in older generations, not calling them [or even your parent's friend] auntie or uncle, was seen as disrespectful. Nowadays, it seems to be more relaxed.

Aunt = your parent's sibling, female
    Uncle = your parent's sibling, male
    Pibling = your parent's sibling, non-binary [reference: http://intersectionalfeminism.tumbl...ender-neutralqueer-titles-by-gender-queeries]

Guess it's just different cultures.

#2 Secrets5, Dec 19, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2015