1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AFAB Non Binaries more common?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by DreamerBoy17, Dec 21, 2015.

1. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Something I've noticed, both in my life and on EC, is that most non binary people (again, that I've come in contact with) tend to be AFAB. Is it possibly because it is more acceptable socially for females at birth to experiment with gender? Has anyone else noticed this?

2. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    No, I just think AFAB folk are given more leeway to express themselves in a masculine manner than AMAB. Whereas AMAB usually cross dress in private, or transition all the way, sometimes out of pressure to conform, you get more experimentation opportunities on the other side. It's treated as some dirty secret, so you don't see too many coming together and wearing the name with pride.

3. SpiderGwen

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I'm DMAB and non-binary. I see my presentation as neutral, but society sees the default as male, so I'm basically stealth. Kind of hard to be loud and proud non-binary as a male because if you do present femininely, folks think you're trans. My identity is more a mindset, and I just don't feel the gender neutral pronouns, so much. I tend to prefer just flexing between masculine and feminine identifiers by context. Most folks will only see a male, so, hell... let them. Those who see me beyond the presentation, in the right context... he or she works. But again, it's context.

Kind of hard to be loud and proud when you still expect most folks to identify you with male terms, too. SOme will say it's beause I'm not fully out, and... fine... whatever. But it's also like, I am who I am. It's not like I hide it. But I'm not going to wear a badge that says "Hey, I'm non-binary. Harass me about it" either.

If that's not out enough for you... whatever

4. DemiLiHue

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, I also see that often. I'm sure it's because girls are often allowed the o experiment with presentation and stuff.

---------- Post added 21st Dec 2015 at 09:38 PM ----------

I will. I'm gonna make myself a shirt that says "Nope [female symbol, male symbol crossed with an x] Neither.
    Non-binary here!

And another that says "2 cute for ur binary" and stuff like that!

5. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    gravechild, I agree!

And SpiderGwen, it's nice hearing from a DMAB perspective. I think you brought up a lot of good points.

6. YinYang

I think it's because an AFAB person dressing masculine is a little more accepted than an AMAB person dressing feminine, which is also sometimes just seen as gay, so plenty of AMAB non-binaries are either stealthy because they dress masculine, or seen as gay or transfemale because they dress feminine. Most people don't really know what to do with an in between.

7. larkcarmen

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello, Cody! Being AFAB, I can't really speak for AMABs but this thread brings up some very good points.

8. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi,

If you don't mind replying, what's DMAB?

Also, why not wear that sign? People who harass others are probably the kind of people who don't want to obey others orders, so if you wear it then they won't want to obey your order of harassing you, and thus not harass you.

9. Hexagon

Designated male at birth. Its just a different version of AMAB. My favourite, though, has to be CAMAB/CAFAB (coercively assigned gender at birth).

10. thepandaboss

I personally prefer MFAB- mistaken for female at birth. :icon_wink

11. Hexagon

Haha, I like it. I think I like mine because it challenges the notion that society has the right to assign gender at all, rather than it being a simple mistake.

12. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think the person should assign it themselves, at around the age of 5 for school and then get an option to change it [if need be] at 11 for high school and 18 for later life, or something like this. That way it means there is still gender assigned, but it's by the person who holds that gender. And also, having non-binary on certifications.

13. Hexagon

Why would people need a gender at school? People should simply be free to express a gender identity or use certain pronouns at any stage of their life. There's no reason for this to be present on official documentation.

#13 Hexagon, Dec 22, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2015
  14. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Good point. But I know society won't change that dramatically, probably not for at least 40 years guess by historical progress.

15. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    To be completely honest? There are more afabs on Tumblr which will cause a lot of people to question their gender