1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I fixed my computer with violence :)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by partietraumatic, Jan 26, 2009.

1. partietraumatic

No jokes. It stopped working comopletely,tried everyhitng and no programmes would work. I got frustrated. Threw it across my room onto my bed. Hey presto it works again.

:grin:

ill never understand computers lol

2. Jeimuzu

As a computer science student approximately 4 months from finishing his degree, I'd call it a one-off, and not recommend it as a regular fix. =P The sorta damage throwing it across the room can do is rather less temporary than the damage of it crashing.

What was it doing?

3. JustAnotherName

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I agree with this man, as someone who is also a computing student, that this was defiantly a one-off.

4. partietraumatic

ummm i dont know alot about computers, but basically it wasnt doing any programmes on its own. When i logged on it said something like 'programme:explorere failed to initiate' and i had to do ctrl+Alt+Del, then new process,then manually start explorer. Then when i got on i got a series of error messages saying various things failed to initiate. Also it couldn't access everything id ever downloaded,eg windows live messenger etc

anyway now it works. And i know the throwing it was prob not really helpful but just a coincidence lol

5. Peter

In the olden days, when computers filled a room, kicking them was a usual way of getting things to run. But they were more solid then.

6. Ben

Ben

So... violence is the answer :grin:

7. Paralyzer

I abuse mine all the time...

8. tm74

tm74 Guest

At a company I used to work for, we even had a couple of specific phrases we'd put in call logs...

"Problem solved by percussive maintenance" (i.e. we hit/kicked/dropped it and it worked, usually just once, but that's enough to copy off the user's files)

"PEBKAC" (Problem exists between Keyboard and Chair)

9. EM68

:roflmao::roflmao:

10. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

I'll keep that in mind :]

11. 1974

Normal microsft fix is to turn on and off again, although the users i used to support sometimes couldnt even turn a computer on. They would just say the screen isnt working and you have to go through all diagnostics and eventually find out that the cleaner had removed the plug. Its not an urbam myth.. :grin:

12. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Someone else uses the phrase percussive maintenance! Awesome! We used the same calculators from year 7 through year 10, and the batteries all started dying in year 9, but we managed to keep them limping along until the end by bashing them on the desk when they flickered.

13. Mickey

If I threw my computer,I'd end up in traction!

14. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

The main concern with treating it violently is damage to the hard disk. That could cause all your files to be lost or inaccessible unless you spend serious money on data recovery.

Always keep an up to date backup of the important stuff on a USB drive, DVD disks, another PC on the network, one of the online storage sites or something, whether or not the PC is playing up. Then on that fateful day when it refuses to behave you haven't lost anything vital.

15. partietraumatic

Thanks :slight_smile: i think im probably ok, i don't have alot thats that important on my comp,and that which i do i email to myself so i have it accessible online too....tho that does mean i have a huge inbox lol...

16. tm74

tm74 Guest

Oh yes. There are two types of computer users:

* Those who have lost important files 'cos of disc failure
    * Those who will lose important files 'cos of disc failure

Generally people in the first category learn their lesson and keep decent backups. Never have just one copy of anything important - whether it's your company accounts, or the photos you took on that never-to-be-repeated day with your friends.