1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UK Teens - how are you finding GCSE work?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Nelly1, Dec 23, 2015.

1. Nelly1

Out Status:
    Some people
    I have kind of plummeted in terms of work after spending a lot of time in hospital this year. Er, the longer time goes on the more I think I'll be finishing them in college...

Although tbh, I think I would rather just get into college than get any As or A stars...

2. campervankid

Ok don't panic I did this too, I spent the year of my gcse exams taking care of someone who was terminally ill, it sucks when the other crap going on in your life seems to take away your chance of getting something better but there are strategies that help and trust me you probably know more about these exams than you think you do. Have you done the mocks yet? Message me and we can discuss if you want?? But put it this way, my life was so consumed by all the stuff going on that I pretty much did all my revision in the last three weeks before the exams and I still got onto an a level course (Im not trying to show off because im not even in the slightest one of those just naturally genius people, im saying it is do able).

3. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Considering I'm currently redoing my GCSE English (passed literature but failed language so I have to redo it) and Maths in College, I would say not very good. I wish you the best of luck, I know this hasn't exactly been the most reassuring of posts, for which I apologise. :icon_sad:

#3 Canterpiece, Dec 23, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2015
  4. Nelly1

Out Status:
    Some people
    Meh, don't worry. Funny, English is my favourite subject at the moment but I haven't done any maths in months(no I'm not joking) and I'm terrible at science. I applied for college about a month ago, but the courses that would actually be available to me aren't what I was originally hoping for. Onwards and upwards, I suppose :-/

5. Ryu

Ryu

I started my GCSE's this year. So far they still seem to be relativley relaxed and I've not really come across any major hurdles.

6. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For me, the only science I've ever been good at is Chemistry and a bit of biology (mainly about genes, because I find them interesting) Yes I'm weird.

Personally, IT,art and Food tech were always my favourite subjects. But I digress.

---------- Post added 24th Dec 2015 at 12:51 AM ----------

They start of like that, but I'd make sure you keep on top of it if I were you. :thumbsup: Keep going! I know this isn't the best advice coming from me, but still. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

7. ResidentTheatreKid

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh My God, I hate the physics GCSE so much. What even?!

Drama GCSE is the best, I absolutely love it. The rest are mildly difficult, and History is an absolute bitch but I'm coping. For now, I'm not achieving anything less than a B in any subject, so hopefully I'll be ok. I've been offered a provisional place in college.

8. Ryujin

Fucking easy.

Except for German, which I only started at the beginning of this year. Then got full marks on, cause why the fuck not.

9. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm sure you'll be fine. I had a lot of work to catch up on because I missed a lot of school.. but I did okay in the end. I had a lot of support from my school though. I still have GCSE books from school that I never bothered returning.. if anyone wants them I'll happily donate, lol.

And think of it this way.. if any of you are planning on going to uni, GCSE worries will be a distant memory.. things get a lot harder. :slight_smile:

#9 imnotreallysure, Dec 23, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2015
  10. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well that was certainly bitter-sweet, but I'll take it. At least you're being honest about it. :thumbsup:

11. Nelly1

Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, I'll be ok *quietly screams*

But seriously, most of it feels unnecessary. To me, as long as I get onto a decent college course and manage to maintain my mediocre grades, then I don't care whether I get a D or an A star...:thumbsup:

12. Rainbows~Exist

I finished my GCSE'S early this year. Compared to A-level gcse is a piece of cake.

13. Nelly1

Out Status:
    Some people
    Um, crap???

14. Rainbows~Exist

Don't worry about it too much. A levels are based more on individual study and skill/intelligence rather than memory (GCSE is basically a memory game). However this is dependant on which subject you take for example; I take create writing, apart from characteristics of different types of texts you don't really need to remember anything else for the exam. I also take computing and unlike creative writing you have to memorise a lot of information for the exam.

I wouldn't worry too much. You learn as you go along when it comes to education. You'll be alright :slight_smile:

15. Nelly1

Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks. Although part of me feels sorry for the poor sods in the years below me who will in the future have to memorise all their English literature quotes for exams and cover 10 more subjects for foundation maths, as well as having some weird new scoring system. It appears the government want to be seen to be doing something productive...

16. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I started my GCSEs this year, and have been surprised at how easy a lot of it is. It's not a big jump from the work I did last year in Year 8. I'm getting Bs and As already and I've only been doing it one term, so I'll sail through when it comes to the actual exams. My favourite subjects which I take are Maths, Physics, History and Engineering.

17. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've only ever managed to get one A in my life so far, and that was an A-. I did, however get a distinction not so long ago in a graphics assignment. It is rather concerning seeing people with A's, A* and B's while I'm just chilling here with my C- average I have going on here. :dry:

Still, at least I'm in College and I seem to be doing well in the BTEC I'm doing, so far anyway.