1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you think autism is like being gay?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Vav, Dec 25, 2015.

1. Vav

Vav Guest

According to my autistic friends being autistic is kind of like being gay. Especially being closeted. Since I live in a gay friendly city, some of them even say it's worse than being gay. The worst part is, a lot of people go around outing them as autistic without thinking. Do you think being outed as autistic is as bad as being outed as gay(in a gay friendly area)?

2. WhereWeWere

WhereWeWere Guest

No... the two are nothing alike, I don't see why they would be compared. Neither are bad, but seriously.

Being gay = liking the same gender
    Being autistic = having a disorder that puts you at a disadvantage to certain things such as motor skills, communication, etc.

Though the concept of outing people and being unaccepted/bullied may be similar with the two, but saying being gay is like having autism is like saying atheists and satanists are alike. To a certain extent there could be a similarity, but overall, the differences are far too great to be comparable.

3. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    They are not the same at all. I think autistic people are just disadvantaged in a different way. LGBT people still have a lot of the same opportunities in life such as careers, education, (in some cases) spouses, and what not. Autistic people are probably less "hated", but it's just a different type of stigma that exists with autistic people than exists with the LGBT community. They are also just disadvantaged in different ways.

#3 Skaros, Dec 25, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2015
  4. SubZero

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'd have to say no. One is considered a disorder that affects how one functions and the other is simply another variance of human sexuality that's not a disorder.

I think being left-handed would be more similar to being gay. Approximately 10 percent of the world is predominantly left-handed and (although depending on the survey and people's willingness to identify as LGBT in a survey) approximately 10 percent of the population is LGBT (maybe not as high, but close).

Both aren't choices. Both aren't disorders. Being left-handed in no way affects how a person functions in life anymore than being gay would. Both are harmless; it's just different.

5. wannahavechange

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi!!! Lefty here!!! Yeah..... I really hate can openers....

6. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As someone who's both Aspergers and gay, the two combined present their own unique sets of challenges, but they're not alike at all.

7. wannahavechange

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think yes. Because if you're friends who are autistic say it then it must be true. I'm not autistic but I can only take the word of someone who is and their experiences. I think some people can say it's not because maybe some don't have autism.. I don't know if they do or if they don't.

8. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
  9. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Homosexuality actually does work in a similar way as being left handed. In fact, gay people are statistically more likely to be left handed.

10. Vav

Vav Guest

I don't think I worded my question right. What I meant to ask is "Is being outed as gay similar to being outed as autistic?"

11. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Potentially, if they didn't want other people to know and were hurt by other people finding out without [I'm assuming 'outed' is by someone else] allowing that person to tell others.

12. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I would again say no. Often times, people out others as autistic to give someone a "heads up" so they're prepared to meet someone who's autistic. I don't think people normally mean it in a harmful way, but if it is harmful then it's usually unintentional. However, there are a variety of reasons someone would out another person as gay, and many of those reasons could be malicious. Given the stigma against the LGBT community, it's probably worse to be outed as gay than to be outed as autistic.

#12 Skaros, Dec 25, 2015
  13. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In a way, yes. I think it would be. I've known people with Aspergers and high-functioning Autism before- and I've seen how other people have treated them. I know this is purely anecdotal but still.

I knew this guy who had some degree of autism and he told his friends and they were like "Really? Because you're not like "full retard" like *insert name* (someone who also has autism in my old class)" I was sat near him and I cringed so hard at that statement.

I think it's similar to a degree in the fact that they have to deal with misconceptions and possible exclusion from groups. The whole "You're X so you must be Y as well" kind of statements that someone may receive after coming out or comments like "But... you can't be a lesbian, you're too pretty!" or "You can't be bisexual, you're a man!" I think might apply in some cases where someone "comes out" as having some degree of autism. I would imagine that "How do you not know the answer to W? Aren't you supposed to have Aspergers? Doesn't that mean you know everything?" would be a common misconception.

Or at least, that's what I'd imagine it'd be like.... :shrug:

#13 Canterpiece, Dec 25, 2015
  14. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wouldn't really call this true. Having autism can be a stigma of It's own and I have seen a lot of people who were bullied and beaten up for having autism (especially in middle/high schools). Even if there's no risk of bullying, a person may not want to be treated or seen as the "autistic" kid because they are treated as if they are mentally retarded and can't be their own person.

Personal experience, but I knew a lesbian with autism once who was out as both. The bullying of her autism got so bad -from both students and teachers- that she dropped out of high school by her Mom's command, who then had to get a lawyer involved. Nobody even said anything about her homosexuality. Of course, gender may have something to do with it. Male homosexuality is a bigger stigma, while autism is considered a male disorder which can lead to different experiences. But the abuse and malice is still present.

15. Ryu

Ryu

Well I'm kinda autistic, and I haven't told anybody. I'm also pansexual and I haven't told anybody, so yes, in a way.

16. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There are some pretty basic, pretty enormous differences.

Autistic people don't get told they're going to hell, or that they "chose" to be autistic, or that they can just change. I've never heard of an autistic person being thrown out of his or her home for sharing with parents that s/he is autistic. Large organized religions aren't actively working to deprive autistic people of their rights. Laws aren't passed to deprive autistic people of their rights. I've never heard of someone losing friends or the support of family for being "outed" as autistic.

... and there are probably about a hundred more.

This is honestly an apples-and-oranges comparison. There are really no common threads here that I can think of. Maybe just the sense of feeling ashamed at being autistic vs. being ashamed of being gay, and what being "outed" means in the context of the shame... but that's a shame problem in the individual and doesn't generalize to the situation.

17. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

I would agree Autism is generally worse than being gay due to being a disability while nothing is inherently bad or wrong about being gay. THe only thing that really have in common is assholes and people who don't understand it can make it a nightmare to deal with.

#17 kageshiro, Dec 25, 2015
  18. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No I think they're completely different.

19. Vav

Vav Guest

One of my autistic friends lost a lot of friends when he got outed as autistic to his school. People started to call him a retard and threw rocks at him. He ended up being suicidal at ten years old. I've also heard of autistic people losing their jobs when they're outed as autistic. One of my other autistic friends almost got his driver's license rejected when they found out he was autistic.

20. ThatGirlShauna

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would say, any time someone tells another person a detail about someone without their permission, it's an outing of sorts, and all would be a betrayal of trust.