1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how do you feel about the word "fag"?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Miles D, Jan 27, 2009.

1. Miles D

I have always thought of it as a put-down or insult, but since I've been in college, some of my gay friends just use it as a harmless synonym for homosexual.

for example, I told my [gay] friend he looked really gay in a sweater he was wearing. he responded with "It's because I hag out with you fags!" or something to that effect.

the same friend was taking another friend's cereal, licking it and trying to put it back in the guy's bowl. I said "What, are you worried you're gonna catch 'the faggot'?"

how do you guys use the words fag/faggot, or do you?

:slight_smile:

2. crystaltriforce

it depends on the context it's used in.

3. Mickey

Depends on who says it and in what context. If someone who's gay says it, it's not too bad. It's usually done in a joking way.
    If you're walking down the street and someone yells out,"hey , faggot",that's totally different.If it's used in a hateful and negative way,then,yea,it's a problem.

4. singtoh1

I try not to use it even though its not offensive to me. I just think the word is over used. The same way with the word gay.

IDK...I think it just depends on how the word is used, for me at least.

5. Shaylyn

For me, faggot has always carried a harsh connotation. I never use it and don't like it when others do. Even when people use the word 'gay' in a derogatory tone, I don't find it as insulting as when 'faggot' is used. Don't know why exactly.

6. EM68

Depending how fag is used I do not mind. I hate the word faggot no matter what. It has always bothered me.

7. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

I think... Smoke :]

8. J Schuelke

truthfully I never really liked the word because I heard it too many times in grade school. However, the context of the phrase its used in could make a difference. If you it used as a put down or in a threatening manner then its not cool. If it is used in a harmless manner, like if you were just shooting the sh** with friends that you trust, then I guess it is not that bad.

9. whitefang

I dont like it. It makes me mad to hear it but I really shouldnt cause I am a fag....

10. Brandford

I hate the word and I never use it, its just like the n word, it shouldnt be used in any manner by anyone

11. No One

I hate hate hate hate hate it because alot of gay people just use it like a normal name just like dyke or any of those but all of those were started as derogatory words towards the gay community and i cant STAND it

12. myra

I use it. I don't think its any different than black people calling each other niggers...sorry. I don't use that word. Felt weird to type. But ya. I don't see anything wrong with people in the LGBT community calling each other fags and dykes. Whatever. Because its kind of a...sign of affection maybe. We're taking the word back i guess. I don't have a problem with it as long as it not used negatively.

13. HeronsStorm

Makes me sick and angry. I can't stand it when people use the word! Usually it's used harshly where I am so I connect it to harshness.

14. spazz33

spazz33 Guest

People have different views of it.
    One of the brainless dumb girls at our school started using it as like a synonym for cute. Everyone was like wtf? Well, it was one of the few things at our school that didnt catch on, I was relieved.

But yeah, knowing that it means and what it used to be, I dont really like it...

15. Nicroxsblu

Nicroxsblu Guest

I absolutely hate it. The word was carried over to be used against gays in a negative, insulting way, and is no different then using the "N" word on black people. It's just wrong, and absolutely no one should have the right to use it. I don't care if you're Gay, Straight, White, Black, or everything else inbetween, it's a bad word, and the world would be a much better place without it. Just like it would be a much better place without the "N" word. I'm gay, and I don't feel the need to use that word.

-Nicroxsblu

16. gaius

gaius Guest

me and my friends call eachother fag, queer, gay etc. all the time, since ive come out to them ive told them not to stop, and i think people like it when your thick skinned

17. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I never use it, except in the context of 'fag hag', and I hate hearing it used as a put-down.

18. JoeSchmoe

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm not really bothered by it that much. To me it's just a word.

19. davo-man

Exactly the same feeling here. In fact, I was thinking about this today at work (I was INCREDIBLY bored, and INCREDIBLY hot, it was 45 degrees celcius today). I think the reason I don't like it (apart from the downputting connotations) is actually the sound of it; both the "f" and "g" are hard consonants...this is especially true int he longer version, faggot, where the g and t are said even harder. In contrast, the word "Frangelico" sounds sooo much nicer, because the "f" and "g" are soft, and the word just rolls out of your tongue.

Same thing pretty much goes for n****r. The "gg" sound makes it sound so much harsher, than if it sounded like "nijjer"...Well, at least I think so

Hmm, I know a weird explanation for that, but I thought it was an interesting/different way to look at it

20. BlakeHarmony

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I really don't like it at all. I can understand someone using it, but I would be uncomfortable if anyone around me used it, even in a friendly manner.