1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unitarian Church

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by EM68, Jan 27, 2009.

1. EM68

I was wondering if anyone attends services at an Unitarian Church? The reason why I am asking is that I am thinking of going this Sunday. The local PFLAG group I attend is held at an Unitarian Church and a number of the members of the group attend the church. We were talking about religion and a number of us talked about how the Catholic church shuns gays. I have wanted to go back to church but I do not want to go to a Catholic church. Last November I went to my best friend's mom funeral and I felt so awkward there. A couple of members of the PFLAG group invited me to go on Sunday. It is an accepting church with a number of gay members. They even had weddings there before it was legal in Massachusetts. Any thoughts?

2. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

It is up to you. A number of my friends are Unitarian because they are open and affirming. As for me I wouldn't because I am agnostic and have no direct faith. You might have some luck at Congregational churches at well. Maybe of those are open and affirming to gays.

3. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    One of my friends is a minister at the Unitarian Church. I have never been to one of their services but I hear they are pretty much "anything goes" as far as beliefs. You can be a Buddhist, Catholic, Mormon, or anything you want and be a Unitarian. I love that! I say go and give it a try. :slight_smile: Then come back and tell us what it was like. I've been wanting to know!

4. EM68

Will do :slight_smile:

5. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I don't know if I could stomach any kind of church myself, but if it works for you, gives you support or reassurance, go for it.

6. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
  7. Miles D

I'm Unitarian Universalist, and I absolutely LOVE my church!! There are tons of gay people at mine, everybody was awesome when I transitioned, and the people there have all sorts of religious backgrounds that we can all learn from.

I'd say give it a try, and you can always stop going if you don't like it!!
    :slight_smile: