1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I don't get this...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Secrets5, Dec 27, 2015.

1. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello,

If people think that trans/non-binary people aren't to have surgey on NHS because they're not ill then why are people who simply want a reduction/enlargement allowed it when they're not ill either?

Thank-you.

2. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    To be fair, I also hear a lot of complaints about people who don't believe that reduction/enlargement surgery should be funded by the NHS, so a lot of the people bashing trans* surgery are also quite happy to shout a bit louder and have a go at even more people. The morally outraged press love using both cases of treatment as titillating examples of 'tax wastage', even though coverage is nowhere near as accessible as people would like to think.

I tend to find that those who spew venom at trans* peeps for receiving treatment are usually the same type who would rather their taxes were spent on institutionalising them in asylums and pretending the problem doesn't exist. They've got a medical degree from the University of Bigoted Know-it-alls, so no amount of dialogue would really make them see sense. Instead, I just let them get on with shouting into their echo chamber, whilst being thankful that the opinions which actually matter are made by people with a medical license that isn't made out of recycled Daily Mail newspapers.

Admittedly, it will be a lot easier for me to ignore it as a cis-male, but I just let them get on with it. They're going to complain no matter how little coverage trans* peeps get, so the idea of discussing things with them and reflecting on their viewpoint is a bit of a non-starter for me. Sure, not everybody who has concerns about coverage is like this, but the loudest ones sure are.

3. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Why? Hmm... For whatever reason, probably centered around cis privilege, they feel a need to pick on minoriti(es). They're most often just scum in my experience.