1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The empty feeling after a one night stand

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Driftr, Dec 28, 2015.

1. Driftr

I know lots of people have felt this, but I don't think I've felt this feeling (well at least in a strong way like many have). It's not like I expect a casual sex partner to bend down and propose to me.

I don't really understand what people expect from a one night stand. To me it's just funny because the hint is in the words itself. Unless the person promised to be there for the long term, I just don't get the fuss anymore about casual, safe sex.

I mean do people really expect that all of their sexual desires that they will ever have in life will be fulfilled in one night by one person? That's like eating your favourite meal and expecting it to fill you until you die. To be honest, I'm beginning to see sexuality almost the same as eating, except starving yourself would, no doubt, kill you.

So for people who say that single polyamorous people are empty on the inside, I'm just like ........:rolle:....whatever helps you sleep at night.

What are your thoughts on this? Do you ever get that empty feeling? Does it bother you?

2. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think a lot of people feel that way because they're driven to one-night stands by feelings of loneliness and depression, especially after recent breakups, but immediately regret it afterwards. I also think 'slut shaming' is partly to blame - people get made to feel bad for having casual sex, especially women (and it's women who usually feel worse after a one-night stand).

I've never felt like that myself, and I'm not really interested in a monogamous relationship right now.

#2 imnotreallysure, Dec 28, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2015
  3. AKTodd

Although it's been a very long time since I was doing one-night stands, I don't recall ever feeling any kind of negative feeling after casual sex - and that includes the guy who was probably 20+ years older than me whose number I got off a bathroom wall. Actually, some of the most satisfying sex and all around good times I've had was with guys where it was clearly understood that it was NSA fun only.

Todd

4. thepandaboss

I definitely think that's common. And it's perfectly normal. I think hookups can be fun and fulfilling. But it depends on the mindset you have going into it. If you're using sex to fill a void in your life, it's not going to fill it forever and chances are pretty likely you're going to feel worse by the end.

5. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am the type of person who feels that every time I sleep with someone that I form an emotional bond with them. Could it be how I was raised? Yes. But I just believe that some people are wired/geared toward monogamy. It's no different than how some people have zero interest in sex.