1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I write a story without sterotypes?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Secrets5, Jan 2, 2016.

1. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello,

So I'm currently writing a story with six friends at various stages of university. Which might be hard to write, considering I've only been to open days yet, but I needed them a bit older than I am now to get them into a 'settled' place. Trouble is, how can I write a book without stereotypes? Because I might write something for my character I think is just my character's personality, and then it turns out to be a stereotype, and people don't like that.

So how do I write a story without stereotypes?

Thank-you.

2. Artemisarked

One thing you could do is ask other people (preferably those the stereotypes are targeted towards) whether or not the character is authentic/believable, and work on changes from there.

3. Kinky

Kinky Guest

One could be based on yourself. That should kill off stereotypes.
    For other 5 characters, actually write their personalities down first. Keep brainstorming, don't let fear of stereotyping hinder your progress. This is just to get a general feel of your characters. Do they feel flat? one dimensional? Tediously single-minded? Show someone else the draft, ask them if your characters are relatable? Are their struggles 'real'? Having a few 'stereotypical' straits are fine, considering in real life some people actually conforming to them. I'm Asian and I'm hella good at math and I can be submissive. Those are not my only traits. And there are times when I enjoy taking charge. I'm also witty, cynical and lazy.

Best way is just to get to know other people, real people. Making up some characters from only your own imagination will undoubtedly have some bias.

4. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, work on developing that character(s) beyond a stereotype. As soon as you flesh them out, give them motivation, give them a backstory, give them a soul - they cease to be a stereotype.

Try not to think, when you're writing, Is this person a stereotype? Because then your focus is pulled from making a good character - to making one that simply "isn't a stereotype." That shouldn't be the goal.

I once heard a quote that fiction should be more believable than reality. And I think that plays true in character writing as well. Try to consider the whole picture of every character, their whole story and complexity - and if developed properly, they should turn out to be lovely. This doesn't mean you have to write every character's whole life story on paper - certainly not. But like an actor who must know their character on an intrinsic, psychological level well beyond the pages of the script, so the author must know their works.

Stereotypes, in the end, are simply superficial generalizations of a people group. Write your character with the goal of making them a person, rather than starting from an 'archetype' or rather, stereotype. Now also keep in mind that it's not the end-all-be-all crime of the century to include what could be considered a few stereotypes in your story - if that's what the story calls for.

So I would recommend pushing stereotypes out of your mind and write the story you want, with the people (characters) you want in it. Be natural. That is best, I think.

5. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all

He's got a point. I'm more of the 'character driven story' type, got this faith when you've got a worthy character, the story will develop itself.

A story free from stereotypes? Not sure that's possible, after all stereotypes are beyond your control : It might be not a stereotyped character for one reader, while for other it might be.

How to create realistic characters? Take inspiration from real people around you. That never fails. That's how Holmes and many other characters were born. Now somebody could see a stereotype in Holmes, and there is nothing you can do about it.

Generally speaking, the more interesting your character's background story is, the better will be your character. The background is a must. The more people you know, and the more different people you come in contact with, the better your chances to create a memorable character.
    Feel free to experiment and ask for feedback if you think you need it. I'm always reading stuff from friends, and can give you a fresh view as reader who also writes a bit.