1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Parents don't believe me?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by BearsxPandas, Jan 2, 2016.

1. BearsxPandas

Hi! So not too long ago I came out to my parents and all they said was "You're too young to know." This kind of ruined my day, because I got all that courage to tell them and that's all they said. I'm not one to arguee, so I went back to my room and just cried. I've known for three years that I am pansexual, and on top of that had a girlfriend for a year; my parents never knew about. I'm now almost 15, and I just want my parents to believe me.
    Has anyone ever run into this problem? :confused: If so, how did you deal with it?!

2. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm pretty sure Miley Cyrus came out as pansexual around your age so maybe you could tell them that if Miley can know at your age, then so can you.

Maybe you could start a conversation about when they knew their sexuality? And if they knew around your age, then it's the same for your sexuality.

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm sorry you're having to go through that. It really sucks when your parents are the ones who are supposed to be able to be there and be supportive for you.

There are lots of kids that know by age 6 or 7. So you definitely aren't too young, but your parents probably are not wanting to consider that truth, so instead they're just going into denial. ANy time we process a loss (in this case, loss of perception you're straight) there are stages we go through -- denial-anger-bargaining-grief-acceptance. So their response may simply be one of denial.

I think if you give it time they'll eventually come around.