1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

''acting straight''

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Secrets5, Jan 2, 2016.

1. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello,

I've heard quite a lot of people on here talk about ''acting straight''. I know what it probably means [pretending to be heterosexual, probably for some homophobic family/friends], but I don't get how someone ''acts straight''? Or ''acts'' any sexuality for that matter.

Thank-you.

#1 Secrets5, Jan 2, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2016
  2. justine16

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    For guys I guess it just means acting masculine and women acting feminine. I guess just playing into stereotypes?

3. ok455

What Justine said

I been acting this way since i was born the only way you can tell i am gay if i am hitting on a man.

4. GayPugs

My whole life has been me checking out girls (secretly) and then saying to all my friends that I have a crush on a boy. I guess you could call that "acting straight". I just didn't want to the weird lesbian girl at 6 years old. I've always liked girls but always told everyone I liked boys. Trust me, it's exhausting. >_< It was a huge relief when I finally told my parents.

5. Spartan 117

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hmm, there are two parts to this.

There are those that say they 'act straight' in order to stay in the closet. In this respect, they would probably try to avoid interests stereotypically associated with LGBT people. This is of course, pretty daft, because someone's sexuality does not define someone's hobbies and interests. However, it might be enough to throw off the ignorant people that they're usually trying to hide their sexuality from!

Then there's the other kind of "straight acting" which you tend to find used on dating websites. This one is a little more complicated. While I think there's no harm in describing your personality - I am concerned when people say they're "straight acting" almost as a matter of pride. Some people seem to say "I'm gay but at least I don't act like it!", which is not only stereotyping but also pretty insulting. Everyone has a right to act like, and be proud of, who they are.

6. Aeolia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Acting Straight.
    by Aeolia

MOM - Don't you find her cute ?
    AEOLIA - Well... Yeah, she's pretty, but not my type.

MOM - How are you going to do when you'll live by yourself with your wife and kids ?
    AEOLIA - Dunno, I'll figure it out.

It's pretty much just acting as if you just weren't interested in the opposite sex "right now". And trying to fit to gender etiquette to a certain extent. Like not fanboying in front of girl mangas next to your mom for example.

Bonus point if you're weird to begin with, just act as if you give even less of a fuck about whom you're attracted to than to the opposite sex and that's as straight as it gets.

7. FrogFriend

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I used to pretend to crush on a guy and go through all the motions, if that counts.

8. WhereWeWere

WhereWeWere Guest

The thing is, heterosexual people tend to associate masculinity in women and femininity in men as "acting gay/lesbian" (not all hetero people, of course), because they don't act like the stereotypical man/woman.

For me, personally, I have hardly ever met a gay guy who "acts gay". Most were all "straight-acting", the flamboyant guys are just the ones who stick out the most, so they get the most attention from society. Just like radical feminists stand out, so a lot of people group all feminists with the crazy ones who want men to die.

Lots of people, and I don't know why, fail realize that not all gay guys are flamboyant, fierce queens. And that lesbian women aren't all butch hard asses.

And when the "straight-acting" people come out as gay, they're like "No way! You don't act gay!" (This happened between my sibling and my friend, actually).

My situation is the opposite. Do you know how many times I've been asked if I was a lesbian because I don't "act straight"? Lots. Most people believe I am a lesbian woman when I am in fact the exact opposite of a lesbian; I'm not a woman, and I'm not attracted to women.

TL;DR: acting "straight" or acting "gay" is bullshit. Sexualities don't have acts.

9. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    When I hear it, it usually means not conforming to gay stereotypes. So I guess I'm "straight acting".

10. Ram90

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    ^ This. All the time. :grin:

11. Van

Van

Acting straight/straight acting is nonsense! :rolle:

Gurrl, please... that's what you think. :grin:

12. state-champs

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    #12 state-champs, Feb 8, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
  13. Cinis

Cinis Guest

Stay away from tumblr using the word "privilege" far far away.....*shiver*

Anyway i think it's also not commenting when other people talk bad about lgbt people (i admit i was a coward at 14...) and the biggest part is simply not correcting anyone when they assume you're straight.

14. armydude

armydude Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Acting masculine for guys, feminine for girls. Not necessarily an act if that's your personality though.

15. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This.

"Straight acting" is used as a rejection of gay stereotypes--the idea that masculinity is inherently associated with heterosexuality. The term "straight acting" comes off as laughable to me, however, as what defines "straight" is attraction to the opposite sex, so unless you're kissing females on the side for show, you're not "acting straight". Imagine if black people who rejected black stereotypes claimed to be "white acting" as a point of pride.

#15 Libertino, Feb 8, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
  16. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    That was quite good Aeolia :slight_smile:

Acting Straight.
    by Michael
    (the teenager years, at school,wearing drag and looking like a death metal fan -lenght of hair, on an abnormally high pitched voice)
    Ohhhh my gooooood, loook at that aaaarse, I'd totally fuck him!!
    (girls laugh hysterically and turned red, I never knew if my efforts to act straight worked, or were more an epic fail)

17. lovetoomuch

I found myself doing it much in the past. Making sure my voice doesn't get too high pitched, denying my favorite types of music, joining in on conversations when guys are talking about girls. Let me tell you, it isn't easy - lol.

But as someone said, it is essentially trying to not to feed into any gay stereotypes. There have even been times I notice myself doing something and stopping just because I feared "looking gay."
    For example, I was crossing my legs in class today because I actually find it comfortable and then stopped because I feared someone noticing (even though it was stupid to even fear something like that).

18. Snow

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This happens to me all the time, I try and act uninterested, but I think I am being a bit too subtle about it.

19. Burnedcloset

I've been pretending to like this girl and texting her for a week.

20. Spider

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When I assume my "straight disguise" I force out a deeper voice, slouch a little bit, walk in that silly shuffling gait characteristic of straight men, and burp more than is necessary. Now that I think about it, it seems completely over the top and obvious. My friends tell me my straight act is adorable.