1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Melbourne heatwave breaks record, 18,000 without power, 2100ha land destroyed by fire

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by George1, Jan 29, 2009.

1. George1

George1 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,24983922-2862,00.html

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,24984092-2862,00.html

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,24983937-2862,00.html

So for the past few days here it's been stinking hot.. Tens of thousands of home without power (the number is now down to 18,000 without power, but it's still too high), bushfires are raging out of control (there's a few fairly close to me right now), and this heatwave has been the most intense in Melbourne since 1965.

And then there's also been a major heatwave in South Australia. :frowning2: 18 deaths so far.

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,22606,24984187-5006301,00.html

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,22606,24975204-5006301,00.html

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,22606,24983332-5006301,00.html

#1 George1, Jan 29, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2009
  2. davo-man

Re: Melbourne heatwave breaks record, 18,000 without power, 2100ha land destroyed by

It's SO hot :frowning2:

3. ricoca

Re: Melbourne heatwave breaks record, 18,000 without power, 2100ha land destroyed by

Yeah you guys... be careful okay..
    drink lots of water... and stay out of direct sunlight
    :grin:
    we want you guys back here in the forum :slight_smile:

4. Lychee

Eeurghh, school doesn't have air conditioned buildings.... And they refuse to send us home early. SOOOO annoying

5. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

The schools don't have a/c and they won't let you guys go home?... That seems very wrong. Only once near the end of the school year when it was nearing very warm weather, my high school (back in 2004 probably) did not have the a/c working and we were sent home early.

Be careful with that heatwave guys.

6. Lychee

Yeah, I know, it's fairly torturous really. The science and computer labs, and drama rooms have a/c, but unfortunately the rest of the school only has one fan per classroom. This is the case of most of my friend's schools as well. We have a new rule though, that you can go swimming during lunch times, coz my school has a pool

We all have to wear a uniform too, but most of the guy's schools have allowed for casual clothes days, coz they wear long socks in summer (i know, wth!), but unfortunately coz we only wear a light summer dress with socks and school shoes we still have to stay in those clothes. Although they are debating whether to let us wear thongs to school. Oops, flip flops. That coulda been awkward.

OMG, my maths teacher from year 8 is so ridiculously nice. My friends and I were sitting outside one of the classrooms in like this kinda isolated part of the school, and she walked past, and told us that she wasn't allowed to let us in to the rooms, but if we made sure that the door was closed on the way out, and that there was absolutely no rubbish anywhere, that no one would ever find out. I was like "aawwww." Fully made my day :slight_smile:

7. hoping

Its hot here in NSW too, im just north of sydney and it has been hot everyday for 9 days, not under 34c:tears:

8. dictionary

PFFT 34 degrees stop complaining that would be cold for melbourne atm....

Only some of my schools classrooms have air con but none of the classrooms on the 5th floor have cooiling and head rises.. not fun....

The worst thing is the bloody trains it took me 2 hours to get home when it usaly takes 30 mins

and it was two hours in a cramped, hot, slow and uncomfortable train....

This "public transport system" if you could call it that will be the downfall of this government....

It is just as hot in every other state but there systems are working perfectly...

grrr heatwaves make me angry...

9. SAGUY84

SAGUY84 Guest

At least your trains run. Our government bought trams suited to germanys climate. People even fainted just after they were first introduced, i cant imagine what its like now with 40+ every day.
    On top of that, our tracks have buckled under the heat!
    http://www.news.com.au/common/imagedata/0,,6462014,00.jpg

BTW, SAs record is bigger than melbournes. Hottest night since 1920 or something like that! Luckily i havn't had my power out (traffic lights down the road were out, so was worried i'd be without power).

And not sure how they measure the temp, but it said the most we've reached is 45, but the temp gauges randomly on signs say 50, and my climate control in the car tends to agree with them!

10. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

The weather has failed so hard in the past few days. Heat kills me. I end up quarantined in the house because being active (even just walking around) in heat gives me a huge fatigue spike.
    It hit 45 C today. That's officially the hottest day I've ever experienced. If we didn't have pets, my family would have gone to Tasmania for the week.

11. George1

George1 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Yeah, Metlink have cancelled hundreds of trains each day, but they're offering free public transport tomorrow to make up for it lol.

12. davo-man

Yeah the traffic lights were out near my work, which was freaky, but worse of all was that the power went out at work :frowning2: We had to evacuate! Needless to say we had some cranky customers

13. Markio

Sounds like global warming! Everyone recycle!

14. SuperNovaRoamer

Kill me...this heat is unbearable.

Who wants to hop a boat to Antarctica? We could play with the Penguins!!!

15. EM68

I wish you guys could send some of the heat to us here in the US. It's soo cold, snowy and icy. I hate it.

16. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

Explain one of the coldest January's on record in New England then.

Do you mean climate change?

17. waitingsucks

so very hot. haha the computer is in the hottest room in the house. but oh well

18. SAGUY84

SAGUY84 Guest

Sounds like Summer in Australia for the past 80 years!

19. Markio

Yes, I meant climate change.

Pardon my ignorance, I'm from America. :rolleyes:

20. George1

George1 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Exactly! lol
    Generally in summer our extremely hot days are spread out, but this year we just got them in one big clump.