1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would you date someone who is from an "anti-LGBT" culture?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by lemons123, Jan 6, 2016.

1. lemons123

I mean, would you date someone who is from say the Arabic speaking counties, or Eastern Europe?

My case is more "complex", as I am from the Eastern parts of Europe and have strong interest in the Middle East, part of which is because I find some of the people there incredibly sexy. Like the accent of that Arabic girl singing with Flo Rida(the rapper):

[YOUTUBE]v8nhToPcXIo[/YOUTUBE]

---------- Post added 6th Jan 2016 at 08:10 AM ----------

So it's part of my NY resolution to learn either Hebrew(I know Israel is liberal...) or Arabic by the end of the year...and Happy New 2016 btw :slight_smile:.

2. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes, as long as they weren't anti-LGBT. I mean, if you label someone as Z, just because they are X, then that could cause them to become Z, but only due to the labeling.

3. lemons123

Sure, I didn't mean if they are like that but just what 'surrounds' them. Say you meet a sexy guy from Iran living in the west and then the moment comes when you have to travel to Iran and meet his family?

Even if his family are supportive I'd expect something "pretty hardcore"(for the lack of better words...) to happen in Iran if you demonstrate your love publicly.

4. thepandaboss

Well, of course. I can assume that they're probably LGBT too or (in the case of a female partner), an LGBT ally to some extent. So chances are likely that they might not be too close to their own family. Might be in the closet themselves. So it'd be harsh of me to reject someone for a family they can't really control, you know? My boyfriend's extended family was actually pretty transphobic. I never actually met them in person (only relatives that lived in town were his lesbian sister and mother- mother had her problems but wasn't majorly transphobic, sister probably was but is in no position to judge) but I remember his aunt sending him a multi-paragraph text where she was like "oh, your boyfriend is really a girl." He ended up blocking the aunt's number from texting him again after that.

5. Gen

Gen

There is no such thing as a non anti-LGBTQ culture or region. Hell, LGBTQ culture is homophobic, biphobic, and transphobic. There is no such thing as a culture in which some degree of negativity is associated with minorities or non-conformers does not exist. There never will be.

You cannot place your finger on a map and determine whether prejudice is present in that region. Of course, it is. Regardless of how often we tend to try to convince ourselves that our cultures, countries, communities, or families are the most progress groups of people to ever walk this earth, we could easily walk into any one of these regions and find plenty of racist. Plenty of sexists. Plenty of homophobic, transphobic, ethnocentric, supremacists. The idea that hate and prejudice are things that we have evolved above simply because some of us haven't directly experienced it or because other countries may have it worse is very misguided.

The difference between regions of high discrimination and persecution and those of lower rates is law and regulation. Not concentration of hate. There is a direct correlation between crime and prosecution. The less likely citizens are to be prosecuted the more crimes they commit. Hate crimes in particular. We need to stop associating the behavior of members of certain countries, belief systems, cultures, or ethnic groups as matters of character rather than the matters institution and social structure that they very clearly are.

#5 Gen, Jan 6, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2016
  6. misplacedaegyo

As long as they are not "anti-lgbt" themself and are "against" people who are. It's not their fault that I lot of people from their culture happen to be anti-lgbtqa+, so I don't see why someone would not want to date someone because of their cultural background like that.

7. WhereWeWere

WhereWeWere Guest

I don't care where they're from, as long as they love me. Though if they wanted me to wanted to meet their homophobic/transphobic family from that area, well... that could cause problems.

8. YinYang

As long as the person themself wasn't anti-LGBT, then sure. It doesn't matter where they are from.

9. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd have a slight aversion toward dating someone from a culture that is very anti-gay and would avoid it if possible but it wouldn't weigh that heavily as long as there was no real danger from their family or something.

10. Kinky

Kinky Guest

Don't ask me to live in those countries without gay protection and we'll be cool.
    Also expect that I might not get along well with your family.

11. TeruTeruBouzu

I think it's unreasonable to not date someone because of cultural background. I wouldn't want to live there though.

12. Lord Faren

That's a tough one, at least for the people willing to date someone who will, introduce the culture or place to them. because from living here, as in the middle east. i can say it's either, you'd have to keep the relationship a secret, or gamble with your life. which in most cases wont end well. (That's if we're talking, places, like Saudi Arabia) if not, then, apologies.

13. Isarene

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Yeah, as long as they themeselves aren't anti-LGBT

14. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My partner's family was extremely bigoted...racist, sexist, anti-LGBT. But she wasn't, so we had room to get close. I don't see how dating someone (I presume you mean a same-sex person) from an "anti-LGBT culture" is any different. I mean, if they're willing to date you, then clearly *they* aren't anti-LGBT...is there a reason to judge further?

I mean, yeah, I'd prefer if my partner's family had been as cool and accepting as mine...or at least not nearly quite so hateful. But, y'know, I think love was worth it.

15. Burnedcloset

Well, I would prefer my hypothetical boyfriend had a supportive family. My family will never want to do anything with him or I. Ever.

I want to live vicariously through my boyfriend regarding family. If I find a great long term relationship, I would like to have a pseudo-family in his. It's a bit weird but, it makes sense in my head.

having a anti-queer family really fucks with your head. So I rather it just be me with the mental scars.

16. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

I won't judge someone based off their family or whatever. Who would ever do that?

17. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it's something to take into consideration....

#17 Austin, Jan 6, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2016
  18. guitar

If the person's immediate family is anti-LGBT this will likely be a factor in me not dating them because I am likely to be seen as a threat to their son. If the family is totally cool, I have zero issues with dating a person who may be of a culture not typically seen as pro-LGBT. I'm an equal opportunity dater, but if their family isn't into their sexuality, that will be something I take into consideration.

19. Boudicca

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I come from "the South" (USA) and was raised by Catholics, so I come from what you could call an "anti-LGBT" culture. Just because someone is raised in that environment doesn't mean they are anti-LGBT themselves, so yeah, I'd date someone from that background. Of course, as a gay person, it would be silly (and confusing) to date someone who is anti-LGBT.

20. Kinky

Kinky Guest

It's not unreasonable to take the family into consideration.

In some cultures, especially the east, people generally have a close tie with their families. This attachment can present an obstacle to romantic relationships. You don't want to get married to someone only to find out their whole bunch see you as an eyesore and expect you to take care of them. Your partner wouldn't even stand up for you and routinely listen to their parents, siblings, aunts, uncles, grandparents, third cousins' counsels. I've seen people getting divorced not because they are incompatible, but because their two respective families had different expectations of the relationship. Now add into some anti-LGBT and peer pressure elements! I'm not saying that you should discount someone completely because of their family. But I'd watch out for any 'red flags'

#20 Kinky, Jan 7, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2016