1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone else have a tendency towards talking in a monotonous voice?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Canterpiece, Jan 6, 2016.

1. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can't say I've noticed over the years, but people sometimes bring it up and say that I have a very monotonous voice, which often leads to people thinking I'm either joking or lacking in humour. Those that know me well often know better, but then again that isn't always the case.

If I'm joking or trying to be sarcastic I often have to clarify that I am otherwise sometimes people can't tell.

I have a tendency to "over-act" because of this, as I like to be expressive in terms of gestures and sometimes put too much effort in my voice to make it sound less flat to make sure my point comes across that it probably comes across as fake and not genuine. I tend to get into the habit of immediately explaining what I mean after I make a statement- this is often reflected in my stories I write when I think about it, with most of my characters I tend to use too many adjectives when I really need to "show not tell" more but I'm always worried about not getting the character's point across.

I am sometimes nicknamed a robot by my sister, but I swear I'm not all bad when you get to know me. Right? Eh...probably. Either that or I'm secretly a cyborg set on world domination who doesn't know it yet. :grin:

So how about you? Ever have similar issues? Any thoughts or anything you want to add on this? :eusa_danc Yeah.... :shrug:

2. tourettesqueen

I tend to speak in a monotone when I'm really tired and spacey.

3. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think I have the opposite tendency! There are pros and cons to it.

And I'm reminded of this! (According to this, I naturally mix up timid and aggressive, and I don't do much of the assertive lol)
    [​IMG]

4. TeruTeruBouzu

Hahaha, as if I talk to people.