1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Gay Bashing" Question.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by MusicIsLife, Jan 31, 2009.

1. MusicIsLife

So recently ive been re-watching my DVDs of Queer as Folk, and in case you have never seen the show there was a gay bashing, where this guy was hit in the head with a baseball bat, badly enough that it damaged his basic motor skills in his hand.

Anyway, the court ruling gave the kid who did the bashing 500 hours of community service and that was it.

So that particular part was filmed around 2001-2002. Is the laws in the states still that lax for hate crimes, or has it gotten more strict?

Just curious.

2. Brandford

38 states have hate crime laws that cover sexual orientation but there are still those prejudice judges that don't categorize it as a hate crime no matter what happened

3. littledinosaurs

I remembers that part!!
    :frowning2: Poor Justin <333333
    but i know nothing about hate crimes.

4. SlickyPants

Hate crime or not, how does one get off with community service for nearly murdering someone?

5. 1974

I think that the laws have got more strict since then, im not sure though although i hope so, i wish i could have go th eperson that beat me up in 2000 but police washed hands of it just said i must have fallen over. That despite the large footprint on my head. Anyway can laugh about it now but there is no need for violence.

6. BeautifulStranger

The final episode of season one made me cry.
    Even though I really can't stand Justin as a character, I still bawled like a baby.

I think, I can't remember, the reason why Chris Hobbs (the basher's name) got off with only community service was because he was subjected to "sexual perversion" or something like that. Can't really remember...

Other than that little piece of info, I can't tell you much about hate crimes.